Author Topic: Is There A Simple Answer?  (Read 6352 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Is There A Simple Answer?
« on: June 09, 2014, 01:27:58 PM »
I've asked questions before... but didn't understand the answers... got embarrassed that I am such a dork...stopped pursuing the matter.  With that said...

Let's pretend I plan to order 5 pound packages of ground chicken, bones, and organs.  :)
https://www.hare-today.com/index.php?cPath=21_32
I'm starting with chicken, because I read somewhere that is the best meat to start with...less issues (or something) for cats.  Correct me, if I'm wrong.
I'm ordering ground, because dead body parts ... just can't deal with that.  Maybe later.  I want to start off with EASY...for myself and the cats.
I'm ordering ground meat, bones, and organs... because I THINK it contains most everything needed, and I won't have to do much handling of the meat. 
I still need to add supplements...correct?  Instead of adding a capsule of this and that... is there something that "has it all?" 
What I am trying to find out is...  is it possible to add a "one supplement does it all" to a mix, stir, and serve? 
Will this work? https://www.hare-today.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=290
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: Is There A Simple Answer?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:32:24 PM »
If you are only going with a single protein source (chicken), then yes, you do need the supplement mix. 
From what I understand, Alnutrin is a pretty good one.  There are different mixes balanced for what you are feeding: meat only, meat and organs, or meat/bones/organs.  So just make sure to get the right one.
Then, just follow the directions.    thumbsup1   :D

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:34:51 PM by FurMonster Mom »
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 02:49:16 PM »
Soooooo, I can buy the chicken, bones, and organs ground package.  Add the Alnutrition (that I linked to above).  Use according to the directions... and we are good to go?  I am really, really, really nervous about screwing this up. 

I do plan to feed other meats.  Just want the first few meals to be sorta simple... and less shocking to the tummies. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:50:47 PM by Lola »

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 06:18:33 PM »
Does this come frozen Lola? You could start off with some premade Raw that is in patties just to see if they will eat it first. Just an idea. Can you get Carnivora there or some other one?
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 10:21:20 PM »
Soooooo, I can buy the chicken, bones, and organs ground package.  Add the Alnutrition (that I linked to above).  Use according to the directions... and we are good to go?  I am really, really, really nervous about screwing this up. 

I do plan to feed other meats.  Just want the first few meals to be sorta simple... and less shocking to the tummies. 

Yep.  In fact, from the way I read it, the amount in the package is designed to compliment their grinds.

There was a good little note on the Alnutrin page:
HINT:IF you are working on transitioning your cat to raw you can take the ground meat/bones/organs/supplement, put into ice cube trays and then freeze.
Once frozen pop out of the trays and put in freezer bags or containers.
You now have small easy to use servings.

The smaller servings are a great idea for transitioning or conditioning. 
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 09:41:54 AM »
Does this come frozen Lola? You could start off with some premade Raw that is in patties just to see if they will eat it first. Just an idea. Can you get Carnivora there or some other one?

Yes, it comes frozen... hopefully.  An order has a loooong way to travel to get to me.  The shipping fees are HUGE, for me as well....due to distance and packaging required to keep it frozen.  I'll have to check, if the shipping would be any less during winter months. 

Some of the cats, already eat raw chunks of hearts and gizzards, live crickets, live lizards, etc.  I THINK if it is tasty... I won't have any major issues.  I can always add VetsBest as a topper/enticer.  I'm also leaning to not just trying it out, because I want it to happen.  If there is no back-up plan... 

Also, I may have found a company (in town-ish) that can order Rad Cat for me.  I'm waiting to hear back from them.  That would be great, but leaves the dog out.  :( 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 05:49:31 PM »
Yes, it comes frozen... hopefully.  An order has a loooong way to travel to get to me.  The shipping fees are HUGE, for me as well....due to distance and packaging required to keep it frozen.  I'll have to check, if the shipping would be any less during winter months. 

Due to the fact that those shipments aren't always outdoors, I've never seen anything that has to be refrigerated have lower costs in winter. There's always the risk of a truck being unloaded, and then sitting out on a dock for the night. Most docks DO have some heating in them for the workers.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 06:29:09 PM »
Lola I've read of a lot of people who use Hare Today and supplement, as the sole diet.  Some use it as part of a diet, adding in PMR meals too.

Let us know how it goes!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 07:20:30 PM »
I'm not sure where my original post went from yesterday  :(, but just to toss in my  2cents -- that was the supplement I was going to use when I was still hoping to get Pookie and his sister on all raw.  Good luck!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 07:51:06 PM »
I just get sooooo bummed with canned ingredients.  Choosing the lessor of the evils...  *sigh* 

I'm on vacation this week.  So I have LOTS of time to play with all the furkids... and feel like carp, for feeding them the way I do.   Silly7

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 07:54:15 PM »
Due to the fact that those shipments aren't always outdoors, I've never seen anything that has to be refrigerated have lower costs in winter. There's always the risk of a truck being unloaded, and then sitting out on a dock for the night. Most docks DO have some heating in them for the workers.

I'm hoping you are wrong.  ;)  I understand the shipping costs... totally get it, but WOW.  BUT I was also planning to order a variety of several pounds... to last two months.  Maybe I will try a smaller order. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 07:55:36 PM »
Lola I've read of a lot of people who use Hare Today and supplement, as the sole diet.  Some use it as part of a diet, adding in meals too.

Let us know how it goes!

I kept thinking "don't do it half azzed, go alllll the way."  But your idea works too.  Thanks. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 07:56:35 PM »
I'm not sure where my original post went from yesterday  :(, but just to toss in my  2cents -- that was the supplement I was going to use when I was still hoping to get Pookie and his sister on all raw.  Good luck!

Thanks!!!! 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 07:57:23 PM »
That was supposed to say "Adding in PMR meals too." Don't know what happen to PMR

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 08:10:50 PM »
That was supposed to say "Adding in PMR meals too." Don't know what happen to PMR

I knew what you meant.  I edited it for you.  Do you have auto spellcheck, on your computer or browser?  That will screw posts up.  lol 

Tags: