Author Topic: Radagast Pet Food voluntarily recalls three lots of Cat Food  (Read 1445 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Radagast Pet Food, Inc. voluntarily recalls three lots of Rad Cat Raw Diet Free-Range Chicken Recipe and one lot of Pasture-Raised Venison Recipe because of possible health risk.

The following recall information was received from Radagast Pet Food.

July 6, 2018, Radagast Pet Food, Inc. of Portland, OR is recalling three lots of Rad Cat Raw Diet Free-Range Chicken Recipe because testing results indicate they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The Company is also recalling one lot of Rad Cat Raw Diet Pasture-Raised Venison Recipe because testing results indicate it has the potential to be contaminated with Shiga Toxin producing E. coli O121. This recall is being conducted out of an abundance of caution. Due to Radagast Pet Food’s commitment to food safety and quality, The Company is conducting this voluntary recall.

This recall includes only the lots listed below.

Free-Range Chicken Recipe:
Lot Code 63057, Best By Date: 10/9/2019
Lot Code 63069, Best By Date: 10/23/2019*
Lot Code 63076, Best By Date: 10/31/2019*
(8oz UPC 8 51536 00103 6, 16oz UPC 8 51536 00104 3, 24oz UPC 8 51536 00105 0)

*These two lots were shipped to one distributor in Vancouver, BC, Canada in addition to US distributors in May and June, 2018:

The single lot of Rad Cat Raw Diet Pasture-Raised Venison Recipe, was shipped to distributors in the US only in May and June:

Pasture-Raised Venison Recipe:
Lot Code 63063, Best By Date: 10/15/2019
(8oz UPC 8 51536 00121 0, 16oz UPC 8 51536 00122 7, 24oz UPC 8 51536 00123 4 and 1oz Samples)

The Company discovered these lots were potentially contaminated during enhanced quality testing it conducted as a follow-up to its March 2018 recall.

Consumers are encouraged to check the Lot Codes on their Free-Range Chicken Recipe and Pasture-Raised Venison Recipe containers. The Lot Codes can be found printed on the bottom
of the plastic containers. Any products with these Lot Codes should be returned to the specialty retailer where purchased for a full refund.

Consumers with questions should contact Radagast Pet Food, Inc. at 503-736-4649 Monday-Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm Pacific Time or contact us through our website at www.RadFood.com.

Rad Cat Raw Diet Voluntary Recall Notice FAQ

July 6, 2018

What products and Lot Codes of Rad Cat Raw Diet are being voluntarily recalled?

Lot Code – Best By
Free-Range Chicken Recipe (8oz, 16oz, 24oz) 63057 10/09/2019
Free-Range Chicken Recipe (8oz, 16oz, 24oz) 63069 10/23/2019
Free-Range Chicken Recipe (8oz, 16oz, 24oz) 63076 10/31/2019
Pasture-Raised Venison Recipe (8oz, 16oz, 24oz)63063 10/15/2019

From: http://truthaboutpetfood.com/radagast-pet-food-voluntarily-recalls-three-lots-of-cat-food/

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Radagast Pet Food voluntarily recalls three lots of Cat Food
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 06:04:46 PM »
Thanks Dee.  I just picked up an order last week.  I'll have to run over to my friend's house and check them tomorrow.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 09:23:44 AM »
Everything okay in my stock.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 09:26:57 AM »
Whew. That's a relief!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 12:06:20 PM »
It is, but only because now I am not being inconvenienced. I have to plan ahead very carefully on my stock of raw food, because of freezer space (I use a friend's freezer) and to get the Rad Cat involves ordering and travel planning.

Another reason I keep a back stock in advance (and I have always done this, even when I fed canned) is in case of recalls.

However, I doubt my cats would have been at any risk even if I had fed the recalled food.  When you think about the pets that eat kibble that has come from a bag that has probably been opened for weeks or months, has been sitting in a filthy dish and slobbered over with saliva, and "topped up" day after day, week after week, and the animal doesn't sicken and die from that, a little bacteria in raw meat is nothing.

Kibble is loaded with bacteria.  As soon as air hits it, it starts growing more.  When it gets wet (from saliva or even humidity in the air) even more grows.  And most kibble feeders don't even bother to wash dishes, or dump out old food, they just top it up.  Like I said, if an animal can survive that (not thrive mind you, but survive), a little listeria from some fresh or frozen raw meat is not going to hurt the animal.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 05:11:24 PM »

However, I doubt my cats would have been at any risk even if I had fed the recalled food.  When you think about the pets that eat kibble that has come from a bag that has probably been opened for weeks or months, has been sitting in a filthy dish and slobbered over with saliva, and "topped up" day after day, week after week, and the animal doesn't sicken and die from that, a little bacteria in raw meat is nothing.

Kibble is loaded with bacteria.  As soon as air hits it, it starts growing more.  When it gets wet (from saliva or even humidity in the air) even more grows.  And most kibble feeders don't even bother to wash dishes, or dump out old food, they just top it up.  Like I said, if an animal can survive that (not thrive mind you, but survive), a little listeria from some fresh or frozen raw meat is not going to hurt the animal.

thumbsup1 thumbsup1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: