Author Topic: Arrows & ACV  (Read 34906 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Arrows & ACV
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2015, 02:45:11 PM »
No ACV and no barfing.  Could it be... the ACV did re-train his tummy? 

10 years seems to be the "magic" age, when the previous kibble feeding days catch up.  If so, it is possible (unfortunately) that I will have a few more test candidates eventually.   
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2015, 03:03:26 PM »
No ACV and no barfing.  Could it be... the ACV did re-train his tummy? 

I don't know.  I'm not sure anyone's ever tried to do this before.  My assUmption was that he'd let you know when he didn't need it anymore, either by not eating the food with the ACV in it, or by horking it  :o.  I guess the only real way to be sure was to stop adding it and see what happened.  How long was he kibble-fed and how long did you give the ACV?

I'm glad to hear that (knock wood) he's doing well!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2015, 03:12:10 PM »
I don't know.  I'm not sure anyone's ever tried to do this before.  My assUmption was that he'd let you know when he didn't need it anymore, either by not eating the food with the ACV in it, or by horking it  :o.  I guess the only real way to be sure was to stop adding it and see what happened.  How long was he kibble-fed and how long did you give the ACV?

I'm glad to hear that (knock wood) he's doing well!

I don't have my notes with me, so I can't give you an exact time frame.  Few months?  I just stopped one day.  There were some occasional barfs, after it was stopped... when someone asked me how he was doing.  lol  Seriously, they were few and far between. 

He was kibble fed for his first 5 years of life.  When he joined our family, he was transitioned to wet. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2015, 03:16:29 PM »
Roxy would be a good test candidate.  She went through so much last year, I hate to put her through a test right now.  The only way to test her would be to stop giving her the Prilosec.  I would LOVE for her not to have to take it, but...

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2015, 12:29:17 PM »
GoodVibes

Ok, say it with me: "We do the best we can . . . "   :D

She had a rough few months with the chin rash, etc.  It might be best to just give her some time before trying something new.  Go with your gut.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2015, 08:51:23 PM »
The two people in the IBD group who have tried the ACV also report improvement.  With Mazy cat, that makes five.  Mazy still struggles though.  I think Mazy is always going to struggle.  I try to prepare myself to where this will lead.  I won't put her through a lot of testing or treatments. I am thrilled about Arrows!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2015, 12:44:03 PM »
The two people in the IBD group who have tried the ACV also report improvement.  With Mazy cat, that makes five.  Mazy still struggles though.  I think Mazy is always going to struggle.  I try to prepare myself to where this will lead.  I won't put her through a lot of testing or treatments. I am thrilled about Arrows!

I think every cat is different, and maybe it will just take more time for Mazy (and Pookie).  I also wonder if nutritional deficiencies (from being on kibble) somehow factor in; maybe some cats are more susceptible than others?   :-\  Anyway, "we do the best we can . . ." and you're an AWESOME mom!

(Side note:  I didn't realize you'd shared the ACV tip with others and some have tried it.  And it helped some?  multistars)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2015, 12:56:30 PM »

(Side note:  I didn't realize you'd shared the ACV tip with others and some have tried it.  And it helped some?  multistars)

I'd be as happy as you if I could get more people (insert ESPECIALLY family) to just hold their breath and try it instead of taking those calcium destroying drugs! If they'd only act like pets and accept what their body needs, a lot of people would be a lot healthier.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2015, 03:24:13 PM »
I'd be as happy as you if I could get more people (insert ESPECIALLY family) to just hold their breath and try it instead of taking those calcium destroying drugs! If they'd only act like pets and accept what their body needs, a lot of people would be a lot healthier.

I hear ya, Dee.

Lola, does Arrows get all raw now or does he also get some canned?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2015, 03:44:40 PM »
I think every cat is different, and maybe it will just take more time for Mazy (and Pookie).  I also wonder if nutritional deficiencies (from being on kibble) somehow factor in; maybe some cats are more susceptible than others?   :-\  Anyway, "we do the best we can . . ." and you're an AWESOME mom!

Yes I mentioned it a couple of times in the IBD group and someone asked for further explanation, and now two are using it, and happy with the results.  I gave you credit, linking to this forum. :)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2015, 09:36:52 PM »
Yes I mentioned it a couple of times in the IBD group and someone asked for further explanation, and now two are using it, and happy with the results.  I gave you credit, linking to this forum. :)

heartbeatgif  Thanks, MC!!!  heartbeatgif

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2015, 08:22:43 PM »
GoodVibes

Ok, say it with me: "We do the best we can . . . "   :D

She had a rough few months with the chin rash, etc.  It might be best to just give her some time before trying something new.  Go with your gut.

Thanks Pookie. 
I just felt an explanation was necessary as to why I wasn't "interested" in doing anything different with her right now. 

As far as Arrows... when I stopped the ACV, I fed him raw only for a while.  Currently he eats what everyone eats... a mixture of raw and canned.  However, we are moving towards more raw and a LOT less canned. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2017, 11:14:54 AM »
I'm hoping to get Arrows in for a vet visit next week.  Waiting for a call back about an appointment day and time.

Since he hasn't been to the new vet, I made copies of his records. 
I was reading over some of the paperwork and saw that the old vet had me giving him Pepcid for barfing.  Thinking to myself...Arrows was a barfer?!   It must have been bad, for me to take him to the vet for it. 

I decided to do a search here to find details...jog the 'ol memory.  Found this thread.  :)

I'm happy to report that Arrows does not take Pepcid.  He has been a non-barfer since January 2015.  He is an ACV success story.  :) 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2017, 11:41:12 AM »
PS
Reading through ALL the posts... Roxy isn't given Pepcid anymore either.  Her only barf episodes are if there is more then 8 hours between meals.  She used to bring up bile like clock work, if she went unfed for more then 8 hours.  That is no longer a given either.  :)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2017, 10:42:56 PM »
Wow, I forgot about this thread.  It's been a while.

I'm happy to report that Arrows does not take Pepcid.  He has been a non-barfer since January 2015.  He is an ACV success story.  :) 

That's wonderful!  Thank you so much for sharing!

PS
Reading through ALL the posts... Roxy isn't given Pepcid anymore either.  Her only barf episodes are if there is more then 8 hours between meals.  She used to bring up bile like clock work, if she went unfed for more then 8 hours.  That is no longer a given either.  :)

multistars multistars multistars

I LOVE hearing about furkids getting off the acid-blockers.  multistars

Are you looking to schedule Arrows for a check-up?