Author Topic: Blood Work Wording...  (Read 8083 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Blood Work Wording...
« on: April 20, 2018, 01:17:48 PM »
I always request a full panel blood work.  Senior panel.  Plus T something.  Urinalysis.  I might have missed something else also.
A vet always seems to know what I am yapping about, so I don't know the exact wording.   Silly7
What is it, please?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Blood Work Wording...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 01:24:00 PM »
Full thyroid panel?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 04:56:07 PM »
T-4 and Free T-4.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 05:07:14 PM »
I always request a full panel blood work.  Senior panel.  Plus T something.  Urinalysis.  I might have missed something else also.
A vet always seems to know what I am yapping about, so I don't know the exact wording.   Silly7
What is it, please?

What is what, the "T something?"  If so, like MC said it's T-4 and T-3, or as Dee said, a full thyroid panel.  Either should work, thought I would think that "full thyroid panel" would include more than just the T3 and 4, like TSH, free T3, etc.  But I never had that done for Pookie so I don't know for sure.  I did a super-quick Google and found this:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/thyroid-hormone-testing-in-dogs
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:11:03 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 07:03:14 PM »
This is what I wrote:

At our vets (we have two), in house testing isn't as extensive as having blood and urine sent out to IDEXX. Your vet office could be different.

There are four main categories of wellness testing for senior dogs: complete blood count (CBC), biochemistry profile, urinalysis, and thyroid hormone testing.

He wrote back:
They sent me this email when I asked about the in house blood work “The in-house blood work does check kidney and liver function as well as electrolytes. The anesthesia is filtered through the liver and kidneys, so knowing that they are functioning properly is what is really important.“

For some reason, I was thinking his dog was a senior.  I'm thinking maybe the dog isn't a senior.
More often then not, I wish I would just STAY out of conversations...

I jumped in because others were telling him he was paying waaaaay to much...the vet was taking him to the cleaners... get a new vet.  He wants to have the dental done at his vet's office.  He is already stressed to the max.  Besides, the estimate was totally inline with estimates I have received from the vet that does GOOD dentals. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 07:54:56 PM »
Yeah. I've been told that "you're paying too much" crap before from Vlad's breeder. Vlad's alive, and I've got more than one good reason to not want to use breeder's vet--even if she thinks I'm stupid and the vets see me and my money coming when something goes wrong.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 07:57:24 PM »
Just for reference, in 2010, the price for a full dental on a large Cardigan corgi that weighed 38 pounds was $350, and we had a full blood panel done since they had him out, and we didn't have to try to corral a wild thing. Sharkly hated blood draws.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 08:18:20 PM »
Just for reference, in 2010, the price for a full dental on a large Cardigan corgi that weighed 38 pounds was $350, and we had a full blood panel done since they had him out, and we didn't have to try to corral a wild thing. Sharkly hated blood draws.

WOW.  Just the blood work and urinalysis is $300 plus... at BOTH our vets. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:21:52 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 08:30:46 PM »
I seem to have lost the plot here. You wrote to your vet?  Or? What am I missing?

Okay I've re read this three times. I think I finally figured out that your original question is based on a discussion you were having with someone elsewhere about blood work and dentals and a dog.

My two cents, regardless of age, no animal of mine would go under anesthesia without a full blood work up called a super chem at my vet. the super chem includes the T-4 and Free T-4, and CBC, plus all the other things.  I think they use Antech.

But yes, most people opt for in house testing which gives a very basic look at kidneys and livers, maybe white and red blood cell?

A person has to have SOME trust in a vet.  If you're all the time thinking the vet is out to screw you, it's either you with the problem (some people just have that attitude), or you need a new vet.

I use "you" in a general sense.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 08:31:06 PM »
Now a full panel is somewhere around $250--in 2016 and 2017. Not sure about the urinalysis, but we'll be doing that next time they have their actual senior panels starting in a couple of years I guess. I'm not even sure when they're supposed to have those seniors. I guess at age nine?

Edit: I'll also be having the complete thyroid done then too, so I don't know how much that adds.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:33:10 PM by DeeDee »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 08:40:45 PM »
I seem to have lost the plot here. You wrote to your vet?  Or? What am I missing?

Sorry.  A conversation going on elsewhere.  I was TRYING to answer the person's questions. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 08:49:27 PM »

My two cents, regardless of age, no animal of mine would go under anesthesia without a full blood work up called a super chem at my vet. the super chem includes the T-4 and Free T-4, and CBC, plus all the other things.  I think they use Antech.

But yes, most people opt for in house testing which gives a very basic look at kidneys and livers, maybe white and red blood cell?

I agree with you.  However, I don't know this person.  I don't know this person's finances.  The vet is covering the "basics." 
I was TRYING to make suggestions, but at the same time not make the person feel like a piece of poo... if s/he chose to go with the basics.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 09:14:21 PM »
A person has to have SOME trust in a vet.  If you're all the time thinking the vet is out to screw you, it's either you with the problem (some people just have that attitude), or you need a new vet.

THAT is exactly the way I feel. I'll never put down someone that's willing to spend the money for the betterment of their pet. It's just wrong to tell someone that they're wasting money on their furry, scaled, and feathered friends.

Tags: