Author Topic: Questions for prey-model feeders  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Re: Questions for prey-model feeders
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 12:37:49 PM »
Yes, I buy the no antibiotic chicken gizzards from the grocery store and dip them into boiling water before adding them to her food.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 06:10:36 PM »
Yes, I buy the no antibiotic chicken gizzards from the grocery store and dip them into boiling water before adding them to her food.

Thanks.   :-*
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 04:13:52 AM »
I know I am bringing back an old thread, but it seemed better than making a new one for this.

I will be placing another hare-today order soon and have almost talked myself into replacing 10 lbs of ground mixes with 6lbs of bone-in chicken pieces and 3lbs bone-in rabbit pieces, + 1lb ground chicken organs. Amber's teeth will probably always be horrible because of her immune system but gizzards just aren't helping and I feel like I need to do something. Are rabbit bones too big? My logic was that I could divide the pieces into manageable portions, bag them with a bit of the ground "organ" mix (liver with heart and gizzard, which I know aren't really organs), and feed 2-3 times weekly for dental health and stimulation.

...is this a bad idea?

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 05:15:16 PM »
Tough call...
Belle has bad teeth, she's actually lost about half to resorptive lesions.  I usually take a cleaver and choppity chop her bones in with her meat for her meals (I don't have a grinder).  HOWEVER, before I go all samurai on her meals, I try to get her to make an effort on the chicken rib bones.  I'll usually cut them into strips, cross bone, so they are like small rib strips.  Sometimes she'll manage them, sometimes not.  Anything larger than rib bones are a no go for her.
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Tags: