Author Topic: Introduction to Rad Cat Raw 9-1-12  (Read 29103 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Introduction to Rad Cat Raw 9-1-12
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2012, 09:51:37 PM »
Struvite Kitty ate .15 ounce (point one five) of thigh.  They were actual little chunks, not slivers like last time.  the best part is, she ate them after licking off all the Vets-Best! And she ate them so fast I didn't get to get it on camera.  I am so excited!!!!!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2012, 10:41:04 PM »
 thumbsup1 thumbsup1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2012, 06:56:43 AM »
Last night she ate 4 little chunks of gizzard though it took a lot of Vets-Best.  First she licked all the V-B off and spit out the meat.  I put more V-B on and she ate every bite.

I am getting nervous. My cats are all really loving the raw food.  But I am afraid to go completely homemade. I am afraid of doing it wrong. So I still plan to keep them on a rotation of commercial raw, commercial canned, and homemade raw.

I've ordered some egg shell powder to balance Top Cat's meat so she can have more than half an ounce a day, I will alos be giving her .05 ounces of liver with it.

I ordered a free sample of Alnutrin raw feeding supplement, but they don't have instructions on how to use it on a meal to meal basis, it is meant to be used in a bulk recipe. Call of the Wild supplement has things in it I am trying to get away from, namely fruits and vegetables and menadione.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »
What is the Vets-Best stuff you have been using?

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2012, 01:16:47 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002I9O84/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

http://www.vetsbest.com/products/cat-supplement-tablets.php

The was recommended to me in another forum, not the raw forum I'm using, but a forum where raw is mostly viewed with suspicion and skepticism.  funny2  There is one member who feeds their cat on 100 % rad cat.  He is a long haired cat and he still had trouble with hair balls and they use Vet's-Best, though they use a lot less than the dosing recommends.

I too am using it very lightly.  She gets at the most a quarter or half tablet a day (as opposed to 2 a day as recommended) more for raw incentive garnish than therapeutic reasons, but  even at that low dose it does seem to be helping, I have now cut her down to hairball remedy every 5 or 6 days.  This is a cat who has needed hair ball remedy every other day most of her life, even after switching her off the c/d she still had trouble with hair balls, and was getting it every 2 or 3 days.  But now she's down to once every 5 days and I am currently aiming for every 6 days now.

While of course I want her to have as few unnecessary ingredients as possible, I think this may be better than stuffing her full of petroleum products three times a week.

I tried forti flora as her inducement topper but she didn't like it. I do have some PureBites chicken now but haven't tried using it yet.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2012, 02:07:57 PM »
Saw the info in the other thread..and responded.  Thanks.

Back to our regular program.... :D

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2012, 07:40:12 AM »
I just had to share this news!!!

This morning Struvite Kitty ate her Rad Cat raw with NO GARNISH!!!!!

Not even fake-out garnish! Usually she sniffs her dish and then turns to me and tells me she wants the Vet's-Best. She won't eat the raw until I sprinkle the V-B on her first serving, and then her second serving I can fake-sprinkle (let her sniff the V-B then pretend to sprinkle it on) and she'll eat the second serving without the V-B.

But this morning, I put the dish of Rad Cat chicken in front of her, she sniffed it, then instead of turning to me to ask for the garnish, she tucked right in! And when she was done, asked for more! (I didn't give her more right away, she can't eat too much at once or it comes back up. I'm hoping with the raw diet, improved digestion and improved motility, eventually that won't be a problem for her)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2012, 09:38:23 AM »
SK is consistently eating her Rad Cat chicken without garnish now. In fact, this morning she ate her portion and not only did she ask for more, she SANG for more!

I tried her with a little lamb (very little, only .15 ounce, (point one five) but she refused to eat it, even heavily dusted with Vets-Best.  She has regurgitated the lamb every time previously I gave it to her, so I wasn't surprised she wouldn't eat it, but I thought I wouuld try anyway.

So I'll move on to Rad Cat turkey with her, instead.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »
Very Cool MC  thumbsup1
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2012, 07:50:53 PM »
Top Cat just had her first "complete" meal. 1 ounce of meat (chicken gizzard/heart) .10 ounce liver (supposed to be .05 ounces of liver and .05 ounces of other secreting organ, but liver is all I have), and the 1/32 tsp of egg shell calcium. Holy moly she inhaled it!  

Struvite Kitty is eating the Rad Cat turkey with only a small dusting of Vet's-Best.

Little Cat was interested in the liver but after a lick or two said "maybe another time".

I used to keep track of calories. I'm changing my recording method, I'm now recording ounces eaten only. Raw or canned, regardless of brand, I am now making sure they've had the proper amount of ounces of food a day. For TC, that is 4.5. SK is 3.75. LC is 6, when I can get her to eat that much.

I'm just trying this, to see how it goes. If anyone loses or gains weight with this method I may have to rethink it. (I weigh them once a week) But this will make it easier on ME, if it works, since they are going to be eating three different sources of food, home made raw, commercial raw and canned.

Cutting up .05 ounce pieces of chicken liver to be frozen individually turned out to be a major chore, LOL. So I upped them to .10 for now (and even that is going to be a very long task, I only have two ice cube trays), until I try some kidney, if I can find some. Since this is only one meal a day, one fourth of her daily intake (so far), that should not be too much liver.

In case anyone is interested, this is what my Cat Journal looks like.

I use red ink to record anything I may want to check back on quickly such as regurgitation or other health issue, starting a new batch of any certain food or supplement, and so on.  Bowel movements are recorded in the margin.

The back cover is a compilation of all foods I feed, and caloric content, size of can, total per can, and total per 1/8 can (usual serving size), the commercial raw foods have been added, calories figured out per ounce, or per nugget.

I copy that over whenever I start a new notebook.  I will continue to copy that data, even though I am going to try counting just ounces instead of calories.

I've been keeping a cat journal since 1985, when Baby  rainbow3 developed asthma.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2012, 08:47:22 AM »
Top Cat is now eating one complete and balanced meal of homemade raw a day.

The serving consists of one ounce of muscle meat (so far the only meats have been chicken thigh, or gizzards and hearts, which are considered muscle meat for the purpose of raw feeding), .10 (one tenth) ounce of chicken liver (should be .05 liver and .05 other secreting organ, but I don't have any other organ meat yet, because of this, she is getting the liver every other day), and the proper amount of egg shell calcium. Every other day she gets a pinch of taurine powder (unless there is a heart in the meal). Every third day she gets a fish oil capsule. Currently I am using Welactin 3, because I already had that here, but am planning to switch to krill oil, when the Welactin is gone. She gets a probiotic every day, they all do.

That one meal makes up one fourth of TC's total daily intake, the rest will remain her usual canned foods.

I am thinking though, that I may try bone with TC after all. My how she loves chowing down on her chunks of meat. I think she might do very well with some raw bone. It is advised to start with chicken wing tip.

Struvite Kitty and Little Cat continue with one ounce of Rad Cat frozen raw a day, and small pieces of either gizzard or thigh meat. SK eats both the Rad Cat turkey and the Rad Cat chicken with no garnish needed at all. She still is refusing the lamb even heavily dusted with Vets-Best. She eats the chunks dusted with the Vets-Best. And her usual canned foods.

LC also has a serving of Stella&Chewy's freeze dried raw (re-hydrated) every day. SK doesn't get the Stella&Chewy's because it has bone in it.

Little Cat's diet is 50 % raw now, all commercial (the small pieces are no more than .15 ounces). Pretty soon I am going to start her on one of the home made meals. It's difficult to get her to eat any canned at all now, she really just wants raw.

I want to start adding different meats pretty soon, raw diets need to have at least 3 different proteins in rotation, four or five is better. I'm watching the sales and researching what to try, though my freezer is full now, so it will be another week or so before I will have room to freeze anything.

I drove up to Colonie today to pick up a Rad Cat special order. It is a 90 mile drive, one way. But everything was still frozen solid when I got home. Even with the gas expense it saved me a lot, doing it this way instead of ordering it on line to be delivered. And the people at that store are all really friendly and helpful. If I continue along at the rate they are eating it now, I will need to go up about once every 4 months. I can't fit any more than four months worth in my tiny freezer. I already find myself wishing I'd gotten the chest freezer instead, because it's so small, but the problem of where to put it hasn't changed, so I will make do with my table top freezer.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2012, 07:02:37 PM »
Click on picture to view video. Top Cat enjoying a raw meal.  Struvite Kitty and her tail make a cameo appearance.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2012, 10:29:02 PM »
LOVE the video!!!  Do your cats all eat at the same time?
I haven't tried any raw with bone yet.  I also don't feed (non-commercial raw) as an entire meal yet either.  Don't ask me what I'm waiting for...  ::)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2012, 05:47:52 AM »
Yes, they are all fed at the same time. SK had finished her portion by the time I had put together TC's raw meal and served it. TC, being the fastest eater, is always fed last.

I've only just started the complete meals for TC. She gets one of them a day, the rest still being canned.  I hope they are complete anyway. Worrying about that will probably keep me from ever going 100% home made raw. It's always going to be a combination of Rad Cat, canned and frankenprey. (once I get the other two eating frankenprey)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »
LOVE the video!!!  Do your cats all eat at the same time?
I haven't tried any raw with bone yet.  I also don't feed (non-commercial raw) as an entire meal yet either.  Don't ask me what I'm waiting for...  ::)

You're waiting for whenever you're ready to try it.  I see no reason to rush on anything, really.  I am taking this as slowly as I need to. I refuse to put any pressure on myself to make it a bigger deal than it needs to be. I started back in...was it May? with the Stella&Chewy's and Little Cat.  And I have progressed in little baby steps as I feel comfortable. You should, too. Anytime you want to share your experiences, we'll love to hear them!

The girls had steak tonight. Top Cat had a full one once, cut in a few strips. Little Cat had a half ounce, cut into smaller strips. (both had egg shell calcium with it) Struvite Kitty had two small pieces, heavily dusted with Vets-Best, she ate one of them.

TC and LC devoured their red meat and were looking around for more.

Tags: