Author Topic: What is in your freezer?  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
What is in your freezer?
« on: May 10, 2013, 08:47:12 AM »
My freezer looks like this:

The top shelf has two rows of bags containing one ounce portions of various proteins.  Meat is weighed out into one ounce portions and stored in doubled freezer bags.  I have them in alphabetical order for ease of choosing. Beef, chicken breast, chicken gizzard, chicken thigh, cornish hen, turkey breast, turkey thigh, turkey gizzard. Currently, since some bags are full, there is not room for all of them and the extras are stacked on the bottom.

The row behind the front top row are the same.  Everything is labeled with type of meat, when it was frozen and whether it is bag 1 / 4, 2 / 3 and so on. The bottom shelf only has room for one row because the motor compartment is behind.  The white plastic bucket contains the bags I use every day:  Rad Cat portions, and their liver. It's just easier to pull out a little bucket with everything in one place. The Rad Cat portions are also all one ounce, with the bags labeled with the numbers off the tub packaging and the use by dates.

This table top freezer has turned out to be too small for my needs and I have had to turn to a friend who has a large chest freezer for my over flow.  I keep a box in their freezer with the extra bags of portioned out meats,  uncut up meats I bought on sale but haven't used yet, and the Rad Cat tubs. Taped to the front of my freezer door is a list of what is stored at my friend's house.

All meats are double bagged. When I use the last contents of a bag,  I reuse the inside bag as the outside 'cover' the next time around, and throw the old 'cover' away since it has been used twice now. Even if they still look solid, they tend to lose their seal after repeated openings.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: What is in your freezer?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 01:21:18 PM »

Top shelf is daily packs of organ meats.  A "daily" pack is the a full day's portion for all 5 animals, about 3.75 oz.
I've got beef & pork kidney, melt, heart (yes, I know it's not an organ), beef/pork/chicken liver, & pork brain.

Second shelf is pork on the left, beef on the right, chicken feet in the middle.  I keep daily portions to the front (1 lb, 13 oz), and "meal" portions tucked behind.  "Meal" portions are the complete individual servings that are reserved for use when we go on vacay, or if I'm gone and hubby is short on time (working).

Third shelf is chicken on the left, lamb on the right.  There is a whole chicken in the middle there, that I haven't gotten around to "deconstructing".  I also tucked some pork hocks in the back there...an occasional chew treat for Babee.

Bottom drawer is chicken meal packs for everyone.  Since our feeding rotation is half chicken, there are quite a few... enough for 2 rotations ( [8 days / 2 meals] x 5 animals = 80 meals).

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 05:21:42 PM »
OHHHHH, look at all that room!  ;D That sounds like a good system.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 11:48:04 AM »
You guys are amazing!!!  :D
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 01:36:58 AM »
I will post photos later, but I have a small deep freezer with about 50 lbs of llama, duck, turkey, chicken, beef, rabbit, and goat, and about 5 Cornish game hens, two of which are quartered into ziplock bags.

Tags: