Author Topic: Chronic Diarrhea And/Or Vomiting?  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Chronic Diarrhea And/Or Vomiting?
« on: March 24, 2012, 10:50:07 AM »
Ripped off post from another thread...

I can't find much about it, though found this on http://catinfo.org/?link=cannedfoods

One ingredient that has caught my attention lately is carrageenan.  If one does a PubMed search of carrageenan, they will find many references to "carrageenan-induced inflammation" which is very disturbing in light of how common IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) is in cats.  Please see this link to an interesting study showing carrageenan to be an inflammatory mediator in human intestinal cells.

Unfortunately, ~80% of the commercial canned products contain carrageenan.  If your cat has chronic diarrhea or vomiting, I suggest trying to find a food without this ingredient listed.

Two of our felines recently started having barfing issues.  Stopped adding faucet water to their food and changed to filtered water.  Changed brands that were in rotation.  I was pretty close to taking them in for a vet visit.  Finally, cut out all foods that contain carrageenan.  (Thanks to Middle Child!) Problem solved.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:25:48 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Chronic Diarrhea And/Or Vomiting?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 06:22:41 PM »
My struvite girl showed a sensitivity to carageenan, too.  It wasn't until I stopped giving her foods with this ingredient that the regurgitation stopped completely.  Oddly enough, many of the store brands don't seem to contain carrageenan, but many of the "high end" foods do.  It's frustrating, as I would like to get all three cats off carrageenan completely, but.....I am reluctant to rely on only one or two brands, and cannot bring myself to feed foods that contain dyes and artificial things, and wheat gluten and....well you know the drill..

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 07:43:31 AM »
What is the purpose of putting carrageenan in the foodies?  :-\ TexasFlag bumpgif

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 08:06:25 AM »
It is a binder.  Extracted from seaweed, possibly using harsh toxic chemicals. Can cause intestinal problems.  Even some commercial raw foods contain it.  It's used in a lot of human foods too

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 08:11:33 AM »
Thanks MC!  :-*  I just checked Blue Wilderness, its not in there, Bump don't need no more probs, mol.   Bumpurr1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 11:34:03 PM »
Thanks MC!  :-*  I just checked Blue Wilderness, its not in there, Bump don't need no more probs, mol.   Bumpurr1

Carrageenan is in most of the Blue Wilderness wet.   :(
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 05:46:16 AM »
Which, the big Bump won't eat, at all, period.   :P :-*

Gonna have to ask Blue Buffalo about that, since the kittens eat wet, mol, I only looked at the dry, thanks!!  :-*

TexasFlag bumpgif

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 06:08:19 AM »
Where, on catinfo, is that info about carrengereen, I can't give Blue Buffalo the site, without telling them where to look, they aren't going to read thru the whole site, mol.  :-\ :-* :D TexasFlag bumpgif

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 06:40:24 AM »
http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/what%E2%80%99s-this-ingredient-in-my-pet%E2%80%99s-food--carrageenan.html

http://www.petfoodindustry.com/Columns/Ingredient_Issues/2351.html

Carrageenan's sole purpose is to enhance the appearance of the product and create a consistent mix of meat and other ingredients from top to bottom. But exactly what is this quiet, unassuming ingredient, and should it be there?

The soluble fiber in canned foods from sources such as carrageenan may account for part of the reason that cats need more taurine in canned foods. The theory is that increased taurine degradation by intestinal flora occurs due to greater fermentation as more soluble fiber (of which carrageenan would qualify) reaches the colon (Anantharaman-Barr et al ., 1994).

There have been a few reports that carrageenan may be carcinogenic. But in long-term bioassays, carrageenan has not been found to be carcinogenic, and there is no credible evidence supporting a carcinogenic effect or a tumor-promoting effect on the colon in rodents, humans or dogs.