Author Topic: Doggydiabetes.com  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Doggydiabetes.com
« on: November 13, 2011, 05:47:34 PM »
Your dog has just been diagnosed with diabetes and you feel overwhelmed. Your diabetic dog is not doing as well as you hoped. Your dog seems healthy but your want him to be even healthier. Whatever your reason for seeking information, you've found the right site to help you.

Education is key to treatment of diabetes. We are here to present scientifically based data to help you and your vet make the best treatment decisions for your dog.

The human involved in this website is Rebecca A Price MD, a retired General Surgeon and a true animal lover whose vocation is helping animals in need. The inspiration for this website is Parker, a lovely female Cairn terrier mix who developed diabetes at the age of 6. Apparently, her family decided that diabetes treatment was too much for them to handle. Parker was taken to a shelter.

Five minutes before she was put to sleep, Parker was rescued by a member of the Colonel Potter Cairn Rescue Network and placed in a caring foster home for 10 months. Although she thrived in foster care, as a "special needs" dog, she was slow to be adopted. We like to think she was just waiting for Rebecca and Paul to find her. Miss Parker (often called "Perfect Parker") now lives in Colorado with a pesky little Cairn brother, Newt, and several cats.

Diet is very important in canine diabetes. Paying attention to what your dog eats will have a profound affect on the control of the diabetes.

The current recommendation for the dietary management of diabetic dogs is to provide a diet high in complex carbohydrates (starch and fiber), low fat, and no simple sugars. Dietary fiber slows the rate of digestion in the small intestine resulting in a slower release of nutrients into the dog’s circulation. In this way, dietary fiber helps moderate the increase in blood glucose after meals in a diabetic dog.

Semi-moist foods should be avoided as they contain simple sugars.

Most dog foods contain both soluble and insoluble fiber although higher percentages of insoluble fiber are desirable in the diabetic canine. Sources of insoluble fiber include

*There are prescription foods for diabetic dogs that may be obtained only through veterinarians. These include ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Diet canine DIABETIC HF

*Probably a weak moment... Doh1
http://doggydiabetes.com
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 06:15:22 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Doggydiabetes.com
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 07:33:24 PM »
This informative lady's site is more on the unbiased side (as far as diet).  ;)   http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/feed_program_for_diabetic_dogs_htm.htm

I often get letters asking what kind of diet should be used for a diabetic dog. A few years ago I had a Great Dane that was diabetic in his later years, so I set out to do some research on this topic and came to some conclusions regarding his diet and what worked best for him.

It has been my observation that the prescription diets for diabetic animals, sold at the vets office, are generally very low protein, which means they are very high in carbohydrates, or carb based food. Research shows us now that carbohydrates, especially poor quality carbs are the last thing you want in a diabetic diet, due to the glycemic index, or the way the body utilizes carbohydrates. Plus a lower protein diet means loss of muscle mass, and the largest muscle in the body is the heart.

These prescription diabetic diets are also lower in fat, which is fine to help keep weight down, but dropping below 10% fats makes the coats suffer dramatically; itching, shedding and flaky skin. The bottom line is there are no holistic prescription diets on the market that really meets the nutritional requirements for a diabetic diet due to poor quality ingredients (grocery store foods too) made of non-human grade food stuffs and minimal nutrients are used on the foods.

It is rare that a veterinarian will suggest anything other than these prescription diets, but if they are honest with you, they will tell you they have they have little training in nutrition and depend solely on what they are told by the dog food companies and sales people that come into their office. Like most physicians, there is an enormous gap in nutritional knowledge which can be so benefical in correct many health issues.. That is why I developed this program to assist you and your veterinarian. You do have good nutritional options for your pets and we have even seen a reversal in diabetes if caught in the early stages and addressed nutritionally. If nothing more it will be a less use of drugs to maintain blood glucose levels..

Diabetes is a disease of the pancreas, so we must support the body and repair the body in this condition.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 09:00:07 AM »
This informative lady's site is more on the unbiased side (as far as diet).  ;)   http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/feed_program_for_diabetic_dogs_htm.htm

Great Dane Lady is the hero of a lot of us with giant breeds! Though I don't agree with ANY processed food being good for them, she's more up to date on most things with dog nutrition than anyone else. A person can take all of her nutritional-needs knowledge and make sure they're getting exactly what they need with a raw, human-foods-based diet.

I've been giving Vlad some of the Blackwatch supplements she lists since he was 5 mths old. (He developed a limp [possible OCD according to vet] and we had to make him stop running. He quit the limp within a week, & the vet has been impressed with my choice of treatment. We'll revisit his type of exercise once he's 18 mths old.)

If she says something works, I'd pay attention.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 06:04:04 PM »
It is rare that a veterinarian will suggest anything other than these prescription diets, but if they are honest with you, they will tell you they have they have little training in nutrition and depend solely on what they are told by the dog food companies and sales people that come into their office.

:D
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org