Author Topic: Dogs and constipation  (Read 975 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Dogs and constipation
« on: August 13, 2015, 10:13:49 PM »
Last night I was taking a walk and saw an older lady walking a beautiful German Shepherd.  I mentioned what a beautiful dog it was, and we chatted a little.  During the conversation, she mentioned that the dog was very constipated, and if fact was screaming (her word) when it was doing it's business.  She mentioned taking the dog to an ER vet, and I told her about the one 20 minutes from us.  She also mentioned possibly giving the dog more water, and I agreed and tried to bring up the benefits of wet food.  She ended the chat shortly after that and we went our separate ways.

Afterwards, I kept wondering what might help the dog.  I thought about canned pumpkin, but wouldn't the added fiber make things worse?  So I thought I'd pop on here and ask if anyone knows of something that would help a dog with constipation.  If I ever run into her again, I'll pass that on.

Thanks!   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Dogs and constipation
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:27:53 PM »
Canned pumpkin and bananas work for both diarrhea and constipation. Dunno why. It just does.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Dogs and constipation
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:42:39 PM »
Canned pumpkin and bananas work for both diarrhea and constipation. Dunno why. It just does.

Thanks, Dee!  I wondered if pumpkin worked for both, but I didn't want to tell her to use that only to learn later that it could make things worse.

Thank you so much!   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: