Author Topic: Yoooo Hooooo, MC & Pookie  (Read 1959 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Yoooo Hooooo, MC & Pookie
« on: February 17, 2016, 02:34:33 PM »
After reading this, I'm wondering something.

A. How does this info pertain to our pets? Does it?

B. They don't let me have gluten anymore. Does this mean I shouldn't have bone broth either?

C. Does this mean I shouldn't have the organic grass-fed beef gelatin that I use as a thickener sometimes? It actually works well in a lot of gluten-free desserts. Hello, Jello? I actually like having orange Jello with pineapple sometimes.

D. Is this information even correct at all?

Edit:  Oops, articles I read:

http://chriskresser.com/beyond-msg-could-hidden-sources-of-glutamate-be-harming-your-health/

https://www.seleneriverpress.com/the-dark-side-of-bone-broth/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:36:10 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Yoooo Hooooo, MC & Pookie
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 12:24:06 PM »
I'll be honest, that's the first time I've ever heard/read about bone broth causing seizures.  That doesn't mean it's not possible, it's just news to me, though I'm certainly not an authority.  That said, my gut (no pun intended) is tending to disagree with these articles, but I have no solid arguments to back that up.

A.  If you're feeding bone or complete raw diets (e.g. Stella & Chewy's that includes the bone), I don't really see a need to also give bone broth.  If you're not feeding bone, I personally think it would be beneficial to giving a small amount of bone broth to your pet at least once a week to ensure they're getting absorbable minerals in their diet.  Side note:  one of the articles mentioned that bone broth doesn't contain as much calcium as they used to think.  I don't worry about calcium because that's not the only mineral used to make bones and teeth.  Bones also need magnesium, phosphorus, boron and trace minerals.  What I like about bone broth is that you're getting the right minerals in the right proportions in an easy to absorb form.

B.  Have you been drinking bone broth, and if so, have you noticed any of the side effects mentioned in the articles?  If not, I would think you're ok to have the bone broth.  If you're concerned about possible inflammation, you can do what one article suggested and include ginger and/or turmeric.  Garlic is also anti-inflammatory and can be added to broth.  Or, you can cook the broth for a shorter time period if you think that would help.

C.  I don't see why you couldn't use the gelatin, esp. if you're not using huge amounts (I doubt you are) or several times a day.  Again, if you're not having any reactions to it, then "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  But if you're concerned about low-grade inflammation, maybe have some ginger tea with your desserts that include the gelatin.  Grass-fed gelatin is definitely better than grain-fed, so  thumbsup1 to you on that one! 

D.  I have no idea.  Like I said, it's new to me.  My issue with that second article is they're conveniently selling a book with a recipe for meat broth.  Granted, you can find recipes for that online instead of buying the book, but I just have a problem with the fact that they're selling something.

The other thing is, there are a lot of contributing factors to the issues they mentioned like ADHD and autism.  I suspect a lot of those kids need more B vitamins, a really good probiotic, lots of healthy fats, possibly magnesium, possibly iodine, no grains, no sugar and a whole foods (nothing processed) diet.  That's not to say that those people in the article who reported reactions to bone broth are wrong (the plural of anecdote is data) -- I just think there's a lot more going on than just glutamine.  But that's just my opinion, and everyone is different, so what impacts one person (reacting to the broth) may not impact another.

We always want to find that one magic thing to fix the body when it's usually much more complicated than that.  Saying "bone broth is high in glutamine and it can cause this problem" is to me like plugging up one of a thousand holes in a dam.  Ok, you can plug that one hole (avoid glutamine in the diet), but there's still 999 holes left that are leaking.  Do you avoid everything and just starve to death?  You can make yourself nuts (been there, currently doing that  :)).

Ok, so very long answers to your questions, and I don't know if it helps you or not, but "you asked for it."   Silly7
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 09:29:50 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 07:09:31 PM »
Thank you so much for your complete answer. I've been sick, and I guess I've been reading too much out of boredom. It seems that once something tried and true comes out though, someone is always going to come up with ways that it's bad.

If I weren't sick, I wouldn't have been sitting here reading anything and everything and getting confused about it all. I probably shouldn't read anything but novels when I'm running a fever and unable to actually think things out.

But you made sense of it all for me!  :-*
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 08:52:46 PM »
I'm glad it made sense to you, and I'm glad I could help!  Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon!   :-* :-* HeadButt HeadButt
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: