Author Topic: Pooping Outside The Box  (Read 13424 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Pooping Outside The Box
« on: September 18, 2015, 08:53:45 AM »
Someone is pooping outside the box...about once a week.  *sigh*   It is always a healthy poop.  Not to wet.  Not to dry.  Not to big.  Not to small.  It is always located right in front of a box.  Locations vary.
It is only being done when we are sleeping or not home. 
My guess is Lilly.  I'm guessing Lilly because she recently had issues with constipation.  ASSuming she now has a "fear."
Lilly was recently seen by the vet.  However, she only had a physical examination.  No blood, urine, etc. tests.  (New vet.  He didn't suggest tests.  Old vet always did...and I'm a creature of habit.  Also at the time, I was concentrated and discussing Lola's upcoming dental and didn't ask.   :-[  You would think when I paid the bill (50 bucks compared to 150) that would have jogged my memory!
We have 6 cats and 1 dog.
I always have a minimum of 7 litter boxes available for use.  They are located from one end of the house to the other...none in a bathroom. 
There is always access to at least 6 boxes and 4 different locations.
Litter boxes are all considered x-large or jumbo.  Various sizes and shapes.  All but one are covered.  The poo has been found in front of the covered and the uncovered boxes. 
The litter is the same litter i have used for years.
I scoop once a day... pretty much at the same time.
All boxes are dumped and washed every 4 weeks...sometimes more often. 
As far as Lacy dog... she doesn't watch a cat using the box.  She doesn't follow a cat to a litter box.  She doesn't inspect a litter box after it has been used. 

I'm thinking of moving the outside cameras to the inside.  lol  I hate to ASSume it is Lilly and her reason for doing so, and be wrong. 

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 08:59:49 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Pooping Outside The Box
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 08:56:57 AM »
Speaking of Lilly.... she is in the room now using a litter box.  We will wait and see...

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 08:58:54 AM »
She pooped.  I don't think she would have pooped sometime last night and again this morning.  The mystery continues...

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 09:16:54 AM »
Well for what it's worth, I'd be working hard on finding out who it is. Is it always in the same area, or varied areas? If it's in the same area, I'd definitely set up a camera to find out who is doing it.

After all, I've read WAY MORE THAN ONCE that going outside the box indicates something wrong.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 09:24:05 AM »
Normally, I would be VERY concerned as well.  When I thought it was Lilly, I was a bit less worried ...because of my assumption about avoiding due to previous constipation issues. 

Damn... now, I don't know where to start.  Never a dull moment...

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 10:00:49 AM »
Is anyone kind of limping or something like that? Walking stiffly? Maybe something like that making it hard to get into the box--or having something falling asleep while they're laying somewhere then getting up and it being numb?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 10:38:48 AM »
Is anyone kind of limping or something like that? Walking stiffly? Maybe something like that making it hard to get into the box--or having something falling asleep while they're laying somewhere then getting up and it being numb?

Everyone seems to be in good physical condition.  Playtime is usually the best way for me observe everyone at one time.  We play with a feather on a stick.  Everyone runs, jumps, twirls, etc.   

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 10:40:07 AM »
I was making a joke about bringing the outside cameras inside, but I think I am going to seriously have hubby do it... assuming it can be done.  Hubby loves attic work when it is 100 degrees outside and probably 140 degrees in the attic! The insulation is an added fun thing to work around. lol
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:42:51 AM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 10:45:28 AM »
If you've got a safe place to put your laptop, you can always save your husband some stress and do this:

http://www.engadget.com/2005/02/22/how-to-turn-your-laptop-into-a-home-security-system/

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 11:12:59 AM »
If you've got a safe place to put your laptop, you can always save your husband some stress and do this:

http://www.engadget.com/2005/02/22/how-to-turn-your-laptop-into-a-home-security-system/

THAT looks much easier than moving an outside camera!  My hubby isn't home right now, but I'm pretty sure he LOVES you.  :)  All boxes are located against walls, so even if my recordings ended up all over the Internet... no biggie.   Silly7

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 11:21:25 AM »
 thumbsup1

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 12:55:27 PM »
Camera definitely the way to go!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 02:33:23 PM »
so even if my recordings ended up all over the Internet... no biggie.   Silly7

TinCam will just save it to a folder on your computer instead of uploading it to some place.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 02:43:11 PM »
Good luck!  I hope the cameras do the trick!   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 09:27:30 PM »
I installed TinCam on my laptop.  It is compatible with Windows10.  ;)  I installed EvoCam on my iMach.  Both programs have the option of not using the internet to store pictures and/or videos.  I found EvoCam easier to use.  However, I am not too thrilled leaving my iMac on all the time.  There may be a work around that I haven't found yet. 

Tags: