Author Topic: A new chapter for Mazy  (Read 11461 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: A new chapter for Mazy
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2016, 03:04:42 AM »
 thumbsup1 thumbsup1
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2016, 03:06:35 AM »
I am still on Win 8.1.  The phto program with 8.1  is a nightmare.  I downloaded 8 picture gallery, I used to be able to use it now and then between crashes, but now, since January 1st, it does not work at all.

This problem has been on-going since I bought this 8.1 computer in April. I am sure you are all tired of me whining about it.  but I can't find a solution.

I looked up the win to picture progam but there doesn't seem to be any way to "try" it, you know like a tutorial or tiral, before downloading it (apparently you can get it without going over to 10)
  Have you tried lunapic.com?? it is very easy to use :)

"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2016, 07:34:03 AM »
Yes, that's what I was using when I lost my post. You can resize a picture on lunapic but it isn't in proportion so they look skewed.  Then you have to go to the hassle of downloading it back to the computer.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2016, 09:04:29 AM »
Mazy cat was completely raw yesterday.  Today I will go back to at least one meal of canned.  I'm just not ready to take the plunge to 100% without another protein or at least brand of raw for her, to turn to.

I can't understand why there aren't more "organic" meats available around here.  There are plenty of other "organic" choices in rice, nuts, canned goods, all of that.   Even produce. But not meat.

A woman at work keeps telling me to "go to the farmer's market" on Saturdays.  These are local farmers, but they are not organic and do not use GMO free feeds. And by the looks of most of them (the people I mean), I would not want to eat their products, let alone feed them to Mazy cat.

The local "health food" store is a pit. Filthy, by my standards.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2016, 02:55:49 PM »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2016, 09:22:35 PM »
Thanks Dee. Yep, the local farms are on that search tool.  Only one is organic, and they don't have chickens.

That's a cool search function though, thank you!

PS I did find one that specifies "No GMO" feeds that sells chicken, but I'm not sure where they are, some distance from me. Might be worth a drive out, when winter is over. They have an on farm store.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2016, 09:35:49 PM »
Well but this is immediately after eating.  Not half an hour later.  She doesn't get any ACV in raw meals so she is down to ACV only in one meal a day. In other meals she is getting her probiotics and pancreas powder, but not every meal.

Hmmm, so that rules out her getting too much ACV or having too much acid.  I was remembering the first time you added the ACV to her food, and instead of crouching she ran around playing with one of her toys.  I guess that's why I was wondering if that was the issue (or a contributing issue) now.  I know you tried adding it to a raw meal and she needed the VB added, but I wonder if she would refuse it now?  I wonder if it would make a difference?   :-\
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2016, 07:54:37 PM »
That's been always the way with her.  Any change that makes things better for her, it only goes so far.

She's been acting a bit strange today, keeps going up to her Safe Spot, and I keep thinking she's going to hurl after each meal, but she hasn't.

10 days now since her last regurgitation. But she is still acting like her tummy hurts after she eats, after at least half her meals.  No pattern.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2016, 09:47:45 PM »
 :( grouphug

fingerscrossed that she feels better.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2016, 05:12:06 AM »
A nice poop early this morning seems to have set her straight.  She was due last night. With being 75% raw now, her body may be trying to adjust to a new poop schedule.

For some reason she's gotten it into her head to be afraid when the snow plows go by. I noticed yesterday she kept running to her Safe Spot (when I was home) and this morning the plow just went by and she (was on my lap) got all nervous again.

I told her there was noting to worry about and she did come back to my lap. 

Heehee she has one paw on my arm trying to make me stop typing.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2016, 05:38:07 AM »
I understand you wanting GMO free and organic, but...  does the canned food that you are feeding meet those requirements?  I ask because if it doesn't, maybe you could look at things this way...  feeding other raw brands and/or proteins that don't meet those requirements is no different then feeding a variety of canned foods.  To explain further... I always had one or two canned foods in our rotation that I was less than pleased about feeding, but I needed and the cats needed (I felt anyway) the variety. 
To keep myself from going completely nuts :)  I accepted (for example) that at least only one food contained carrageenan. 
Clear as mud?  :)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2016, 05:44:43 AM »
The only canned food Mazy eats, or can eat even, is the By Nature Organic.  I still have about 2 cases left.

I've tried to add the Tiki to her diet, but even just sneaking in a shred or two at a time, it has made her puke.

This morning Mazy cat ate with no tummy ache after. After each serving she settled down for a nice face wash like usual, instead of crouching for 10 minutes looking uncomfortable.  There is just no rhyme or reason to anything that happens with her.

I do think it's time to cut her back a little on the extra half ounce.  She's all filled out again. No regurgitation in 12 days.  Tomorrow is her rabies vaccine.  Hope it doesn't break the streak.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2016, 05:53:13 AM »
Just to be clear... I don't want my comments to sound like I'm trying to talk you into anything.  I was just TRYING to explain that we do the best we can!  Whether it be due to what is available, within our comfort zone, etc. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2016, 12:56:52 PM »
I know.  It's beginning to look like youguys were right all along and what's going to help Mazy cat most is going all raw.  But I am reluctant to try anything that is not Non-GMO for her. She's proven time and again that she needs organic. Sigh...

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2016, 04:55:03 PM »
Mazy cat is doing great.  Today was her check up and her rabies shot.  So glad PureVax has a three year shot now. I like my vet and my cats are comfortable with her, but she just doesn't get it about diet. She's just been to a conference and said the focus was on "nutrition" and was trying to tell me how "studies" (funded by who?  Oh I think we know) are showing that these "commercial raw diets" aren't so great. Oh and that Purina was developing a line of foods "purely natural" foods.  I wonder if she was taking about that "custom designed crap".  Yeah, we know about those custom designed Purina foods.  Full of the same crap Purina has always put in foods.  I just laughed at her as she was talking about Purina focusing on nutrition and "purely natural food". I'm not sure she understood why I was laughing. I didn't mean to be disrespectful, but seriously, did she forget who she was talking to? Her face was glowing with the claptrap she was fed during that conference. How can any vet actually believe that stuff?  But they do. It was perfectly clear that she believed it. I also told her that I thought this "focus" on how bad commercial raw products were was just a witch hunt because they are cutting into Big Pet Food profits. I also reminded her that Mazy is now 80% raw diet (just Rad Cat) and hasn't thrown up in FOURTEEN DAYS. (actually I told her 17, but I've just checked my notebook and I was wrong, it's only 14.) She has not regurgitated once since I increased her raw by another 1.15 oz, and decreased her canned by the same amount. Hmmmmm...

This is a cat who, for the last year has been puking an average of every 3 to 7 days.

Not to mention her ears are still not getting the wax build up they used to get. She let me look.  ALL clear!  Still had to have her anal glands expressed though. Her and Jennie both have that problem.

I'm really disappointed that Rad Cat has made the decision to HPP their chicken and turkey.  I hope it doesn't affect Mazy cat's digestion.  I guess I'll find out, when the newer batches come out.

Tags: