Author Topic: A new chapter for Mazy  (Read 11461 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: A new chapter for Mazy
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2016, 05:04:42 PM »
Glad to hear Mazy's vet visit went so well! 
14 days is a good stretch for her... fingers crossed it continues.   HeadButt

As far as your vet... it truly STINKS to be in that kind of situation!  I was done with mine when he quoted Hills' scientific testing.  Yeah, the scientific testing on healthy kittens for 6 months.  How did Hills convince him that kind of testing was anything but BS?   

Sigh....
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 05:18:19 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2016, 05:58:31 PM »
Oh and that Purina was developing a line of foods "purely natural" foods.  I wonder if she was taking about that "custom designed crap".  Yeah, we know about those custom designed Purina foods.  Full of the same crap Purina has always put in foods.  I just laughed at her as she was talking about Purina focusing on nutrition and "purely natural food".

She's probably thinking of this, and if she is, she's already at least a year behind if they're "developing" it in her mind:  https://www.purina.com/products/beyond
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2016, 09:02:42 PM »
I'm glad Mazy's appointment went well!   thumbsup1  As for the vet talking about "studies . . ."  *sigh*   bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead

I wish there was a magic wand that could be waved over the vet's head so she would suddenly "get it."  But alas . . .   Anything I can think of to say to someone like that would just be ignored or debated.  It's so sad.  What did she say when you told her that Mazy is 80% raw and hadn't thrown up in over 2 weeks?

Knocking heavily on wood that the "streak" of no tummy problems continues.  That is wonderful she's gone so long without a problem!   thumbsup1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2016, 08:28:44 AM »
What did she say when you told her that Mazy is 80% raw and hadn't thrown up in over 2 weeks?

Nothing.  She just marked it on the chart.  She was very supportive when I started raw feeding, but has back tracked on her support.  I think it's because she gets that dose of brain washing at her conference every year, and then, sadly, Mazy's winter appointment seems to coincide with seeing her right after.

Big Pet Food knows what they are doing, at those conferences. It reminds me of the 6 hours safety driving courses you can take to reduce your collision insurance on your car.  In my state, 3 years is the duration of the discount, then you have to take the course again.  I guess the state has decided that that kind of learning (there is a big focus on accident prevention of course) lasts three years.

For vets, they get their dose every year.  Of course they also get it periodically if they take time to talk to the vendors when they come in to the clinic, but it's the conferences, where the PFI does it's follow up work from the indoctrination at vet school.

Anyway my vet DID ask me about the blood tests I had talked about in December, the EPI and cortisol levels, but I told her I was going to wait on that, considering the improvements going 80% raw. 

Mazy cat is doing incredibly well.  I was afraid with raw being her bed time meal a 10 hour fast would be too long, but she had that 10 hours overnight and she had no trouble this morning.  I fed her just a small amount to start, .13 oz rad cat and didn't put the pancreas or s.boulardii in it.

She ate that and then told me to hurry up she had to pee.  So I followed her down and she had her pee then I saw her hesitate so I picked her up from one litter box and placed her in the one she likes to poop in and she had a poop too.  It was a big smelly poop, what I would call a stress/vaccination poop.

The key here is the 10 hour fast I think.  If she'd only gone 8 hours between meals, she may not have been ready to pass that poop. Her motility is just that slow. And with that poop still sitting in there, she may have been more likely to puke after eating.

All is still well, of course I waited 15 minutes after that poop before feeding again, but she has kept all her breakfast down. Mazy cat can now eat .47 oz of Rad Cat at a time.  Any more than that and she leaves it.

Last night she ate her supper Rad Cat meal in 3 servings and in one half hour.  That is 1.15 oz of food, in one half hour.  Without puking, or even acting like she had a tummy ache.

This has made my life much easier.

Huge.  Should have listened to you ages ago about increasing the Rad Cat but I just wasn't ready. Of course now I'm not ready to give up that last one ounce of canned she is getting daily.  The new routine has become automatic now, finally.  funny2

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2016, 02:39:03 PM »
Oh how funny! Just after I found the organic certified non GMO chicken today I ran into my vet at the grocery store.  IN THE PET FOOD AISLE. As i walked toward her I saw her reaching for a bag of dry cat food.  She didn't see me, but I leaned in and said "Don't buy that, it's nothing but junk".  HAhahahaha!  She didn't take it personally just started telling me "Well we rotate, right now we are feeding (something, I didn't pay attention, because, as I said it's all junk).  I showed her the chicken I'd found for Mazy cat and she introduced me to her son.

But I did find it funny....

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2016, 09:22:13 PM »
I am always amazed how Mazy keeps you informed of her litter box needs.   I know she's always been good about that, but still . . . it's amazing to me.  DrLisaPiersonWorthy

Oh how funny! Just after I found the organic certified non GMO chicken today I ran into my vet at the grocery store.  IN THE PET FOOD AISLE.

funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2016, 04:15:43 PM »
She was very supportive when I started raw feeding, but has back tracked on her support.

You may remember... the SAME thing happened with me and my previous vet!  He was always so supportive and open.  Then BLAM!  I never did go back to him to prove Roxy's barfing issues didn't require Hills RX "food" to stop it.   

Big Pet Food knows what they are doing, at those conferences.

You could very well be right about Hills and Purina timing their conferenes for a reason.  Just as the fog is lifting...conference time!  Seriously, vets aren't dummies.  And I truly believe the majority of them want to be vets because they truly care about animals.  SOMETHING affects their thinking.  This would be a good conversation to have with the member Mo, who used to frequent here. 

she had that 10 hours overnight and she had no trouble this morning.

That is incredible!! 

I fed her just a small amount to start, .13 oz rad cat and didn't put the pancreas or s.boulardii in it.
Pancreas chunks?

This has made my life much easier.
thumbsup1

Should have listened to you ages ago about increasing the Rad Cat but I just wasn't ready.
She may not have been ready either!  I hope things continue to go well for Mazy and you.  :) 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2016, 05:10:42 PM »
Pancreas chunks?

Nope:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IRLHQQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

She couldn't handle the lamb (same brand) that Jennie and Queen Eva get (to replace their second secreting organ) but I started this powder with just a tiny pinch a few weeks ago, and she is up to about 1/4 capsule a day now, spread over a number of meals. Same with her S. boulardii. She's been on the S.B. a long time but the taste is strong and wil only tolerate a tiny bit mixed in.  however with the pancreas poured over it, she'll eat it, if it's not too much,

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IRLHQQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

I do remember your experience.  Since my vet doesn't try to force her views on me, I am still willing to go to her.  I think she is a good vet..as far as caring, and surgical skill and diagnosing goes. 

She's brainwashed, and it's sad, but not everyone is a crusader.  And to work in a clinic owned by other people, with a family to support, maybe there's just no , not desire, but no energy, to try to wrought change. There was a vet at that clinic I only saw her once on an emergency visit, but she was all about raw feeding and certain supplements over drugs, and reiki. She isn't there any more. It was when I'd only been going there about a year and was still trying to decide which vet I liked best.  I liked her, but she wasn't there the next time I called, and that time I met my current vet and stuck with her.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2016, 05:17:22 PM »
I'm grinding organs, when I could be buying them in capsule form?! 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2016, 05:27:40 PM »
Yes, but..fresh is always best, if you can get it. Some raw feeders use freeze dried liver treats (not capsules) because their cats won't eat fresh liver.  I have no such problem in my house. They all love raw liver, just as it is.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2016, 05:29:00 PM »
17 days.  She just puked up her (canned) supper pre-meal  :'(

I was almost starting to believe she wasn't going to, ever again. So on we go...

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2016, 09:48:02 PM »
17 days.  She just puked up her (canned) supper pre-meal  :'(

I was almost starting to believe she wasn't going to, ever again. So on we go...

On the bright side, though, that's a pretty good stretch for her.  Is that a record?  If not, I think it's close.

I know, it would be so much better if she didn't hork at all.  But it does seem like there's progress.  grouphug

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2016, 05:05:32 AM »
She went 17 days once before in this long journey.  I hope we get another 17 day stretch now.  It was foul smelling, so something had been had been building up.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2016, 10:50:10 PM »
I couldn't find the thread about her issues while you were working late, but I wanted to ask:  how is Mazy doing now that you're back on schedule.  Feel free to reply if your wrists are up for it and if you don't think it will jinx anything.   :)

Tags: