Author Topic: New Vet Search Comes To An End!  (Read 8090 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
New Vet Search Comes To An End!
« on: March 09, 2015, 06:01:35 PM »
I have searched over and over again (on and off for YEARS), for a vet (in my area) that isn't in a Hills and/or Purina induced coma. 

Wellllllllll DeeDee (1500 miles away from me) found me a vet!!!  Screaming close.  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, and THANK YOU, DeeDee!!!!   :-*

I checked out her website. 

No pictures of shelves lined with rx "food." 
She mentions that cats and dogs are carnivores.  Imagine that!  ;) 
It doesn't say that she does not declaw, but it doesn't say that she does.  She does explain declawing... in DETAIL.  She also mentions alternatives...soft claws, scratching posts, etc. 
She states what vaccines are required by law, and what vaccines she suggests or does NOT suggest... depending on circumstances.  Yay... a non-over-vaccinator! 
The best part...she is raw friendly. 

I don't know which furkid to take to her first!!! 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 06:05:09 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: New Vet Search Comes To An End!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:36:25 PM »
That is PAWSOME!  Great job, Dee, and congratulations, Lola!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 01:21:53 AM »
I made an appointment for tomorrow.  Finally.  Lola gets the first appointment.  The vet that owns the practice isn't available for a few weeks, so we are seeing an associate.  I would assume an associate would have the same values and ethics.   fingerscrossed

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 04:56:44 AM »
Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 10:17:43 AM »
 fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 11:12:15 AM »
 fingerscrossed fingerscrossed  Good luck!  Is this just a check-up, or is Lola going for something specific?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 07:59:27 PM »
I picked Lola to go to the new vet office first, because of her previous diagnosis of gingivitis...and she has been a bit crabby lately.
He said her teeth were in pretty good shape.  He could see some minor issues.  He didn't think her teeth were hurting her because when he pushed or pressed on some, she didn't flinch, bite, or chatter.  I'm not so sure I agree with that kind of testing, but what do I know. 
He saw very littttttttttttle plaque. 
He didn't push a dental cleaning, but he did say that a yearly dental wasn't a bad thing.  I'm thinking I get my teeth cleaned twice a year, shouldn't they get theirs cleaned once a year...especially with her age and history?
He casually mentioned having a senior panel done, urinalysis, and thyroid something done.  They will call with results tomorrow.  If I didn't know the importance of that stuff, I could have easily missed his suggestion.  He was that UNpushy... to a fault kinda. 
I made appointments for Lilly and Lucy for Thursday. 
I'll run everyone in for an initial visit, and then go back and schedule a teeth cleaning for Lola. 
Vaccinations were never mentioned. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 05:14:57 AM »
Vaccinations were never mentioned. 

Wow! Is that because Lola's records are already with him and he knows her status? Still though that's really something.

I don't agree that animals need dentals every year, but obviously most animals do end up needing at least one. I think yearly is too much since they have to be put under GA to have it done.

Was diet discussed?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 09:04:24 AM »
Wow! Is that because Lola's records are already with him and he knows her status? Still though that's really something.

I don't agree that animals need dentals every year, but obviously most animals do end up needing at least one. I think yearly is too much since they have to be put under GA to have it done.

Was diet discussed?

The vet practice owner believes our pets are over-vaccinated.  However, Lola was vaccinated as a kitten and again in 2014... Adult PRC and rabies.  I didn't realize my old vet had changed his views about over vaccinating.  He caught me at a weak moment at the time.  It was back when the entire clan had URI (I didn't know that was what it was at the time), and I thought something deadly was going on.  Remember my mind was a bit more mush than usual.  We just "lost" Sparky and Lucky.

I do worry about Lola being put under.  But I also worry about her possibly having mouth pain and me not knowing it...and not fixing it.  Her mouth was a WRECK last time, with gingivitis and resorptions.  I think I want to make sure none of that is going on now.  I have some time to think about it. 

The tech wrote in Lola's chart that I feed a raw rotation diet.  Since he was the associate, and I did see a few bags of Hills crap  :'( (among a LOT of single cans of decent wet and dehydrated foods)... I asked the associate vet, "Raw feeding is accepted at this establishment isn't it?"  He replied, "It is THE BEST you can feed a carnivore." He stressed "the best."  What a relief!!!

I'm wondering since the business website doesn't mention raw (I learned the vet practice owner is a raw believer from a source, other than her business website.) or Hills... if she is having to play by the rules of having to sell (or pretend to) Hills prescription carp?   I almost didn't see it, because it was tucked in a corner.

Anyway...Lola didn't make a peep the entire way there or the entire way home.  We have a pretty big carrier (to hold more than one, if needed), Lola curled up in the corner of the carrier.  I felt terrible.  She was talking to me by dinner time though.   :)

Normally when I bring one home from the vet, I wipe him/her down with a somewhat moist towel recently used by myself or hubby.  It gets rid of the foreign smells and keeps the others from "harassing" the one that went to the vet.  This time Lacy dog wiped Lola down from me.  She licked her from head to toe!   It was adorable.  There is something about a big dog and a small cat being buddies, that just melts my heart. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:08:32 AM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 09:14:27 AM »
The reason I am SO relieved that the practice owner and the associate are raw supporters is... not only do I not have to "explain" feeding raw, but most of our cats were fed kibble for many years.  They are all getting older.  A lot of the severe kibble damage often shows itself at around 10 years old.  These vets will KNOW all about kibble caused diseases.  There will be less jerking around... like there was with my Angel Lucky. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 11:07:01 AM »
That is AWESOME that they support raw feeding, and don't believe in over-vaccinating!  multistars  You must be thrilled to have found a vet practice like that!  It's nice to not have those battles.  It's stressful enough taking a furkid to the vet -- having to fight with them just makes it worse.

You did what you thought was best for Lola.  Did the vet have to pull any teeth, or did she just need a cleaning?  I'm so glad everything went well, and that she's speaking to you again.   :)

Using a damp towel from you or hubby to wipe down kitty -- good idea!  And Lacy dog giving her a bath is so sweet!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 03:00:24 PM »
Yes, HUGE relief.
If you are asking about Lola's last dental, yes she had teeth pulled. 
By the way, the vet we saw... ex Banfield vet.  Smart man.  :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 03:55:10 PM »
Vet's words are bolded.

Overall blood and urine immaculate.
creatin elevated - 3.1 
bun and sdma normal
urine specific gravity normal
no protein in the urine
Not a lot of symptons of kidney disease going on.

Right now, no explanation for abnormal behavior.   I told him she has been a bit cranky, and I questioned if her teeth could be bothering her.  He asked if she pawed at her mouth.  She doesn't.  But she didn't before either, when she DID have dental issues.   
Could try hydrating her and see how she responds.  I THINK that is what he said.

All things considered, good over-all blood work.    All things considered? 

Nothing said about thyroid. 

Let's assume I am over-reacting about her crabby behavior. She hasn't attacked anyone.  No biting and no scratching.  She hisses, growls, and chases one (not a particular one) with her tail all puffed.  Or corners one...until he/she runs off.  It is what I would consider bully behavior.  It is daily.  It is fairly new behavior.  Behavior I saw before her last dental. 

He did say I could call him with questions. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 05:08:01 PM »
"Not a lot of symptoms of kidney disease going on."  Umm . . . "not a lot?"  That implies that there are some, and if there are, what are they?

Pookie didn't paw at his mouth, either, when he needed the dental.  All cats are different, and just because one doesn't paw at their mouth doesn't mean they don't need a dental.  In this case, because you saw this behavior before her last dental, I would think that's the issue now.  Did he check her teeth?

"All things considered . . . "  My guess is he was referring to her age.  You might want to ask him if he included thyroid tests in her bloodwork.

Meanwhile, you could try the Rescue Remedy to see if it helps her behavior.  But it sounds to me like she may need a dental, based on what you've described of her past behavior.  Just my  2cents.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 05:57:14 PM »
What are the normal Creatin ranges? It's kind of like my needing to know what the normal ranges for Vlad's NA and K are. Just about every company or veterinary office uses different "normal (reference) ranges" when they do testing.

Like Vlad's blood work in the hospital that weekend:

Bun/Urea  50 mg/dl (H)    Reference range 7 - 27

Creatine  1.6 mg/dl           Reference range 0.5 - 1.8

Chloride  110 mmo/L         Reference range  109 - 122

Potassium 8.1 mmol/L (H) Reference range  3/5 - 5.8

NA=Sodium 149 mmol/L    Reference range 144 - 160

Na/K Ratio   18

But then his tests at his regular vet's office have different reference ranges. So, it's necessary to know those reference ranges to know HOW high or low something is.

But if you had Lola tested at the hospital Vlad was at, 3.1 would be EXTREMELY high, and a worry. SO, that's why I'm asking what the reference ranges were.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: