Author Topic: One of the biggest piles of...umm...malarkey I've ever read. . .  (Read 1588 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Okay. Those of us that insist on feeding species appropriate diets to our furry friends now have a mental disorder. Yeah. Dr., go heal thine own self and quit trying to diagnose everyone on earth with something that needs a pill and your extended services!

My psychological interest in this matter came from the fact that it appeared to me that the dog owners who insisted on a raw food diet for their dogs might be showing some form of orthorexia nervosa. This is a proposed eating disorder which is marked by an excessive preoccupation with eating healthy food. The term was proposed in 1997 by the American physician Steven Bratman who was concerned that an obsession with healthy food could, paradoxically, lead to unhealthy consequences. It seemed to me that a obsession with a raw food diet for dogs based on a belief that this was the most healthy way to feed them, despite evidence to the contrary, might be an extension of that same psychological problem, only here people were applying it to their dogs rather than to themselves.

If you want to choke through the rest: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/canine-corner/201802/additional-evidence-the-dangers-raw-diets-dogs

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: One of the biggest piles of...umm...malarkey I've ever read. . .
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 12:56:11 PM »
Talk about someone with a mental disorder...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 12:57:20 PM »
The carp some people will come up with to avoid feeding their pets a species appropriate diet.  People that usually go to such lengths, KNOW what they SHOULD be feeding their pets, but don't want to.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 01:00:58 PM »
Talk about someone with a mental disorder...

Yep. They say that people that study mental health for a living are trying to find the cure for their own selves. Yes, SOMETIMES, counseling is necessary. But trying to find new disorders just to make a name for himself, he needs a square kick in his. . .
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 02:18:12 PM »
Um, ok, so wanting to make sure you and your family (skin and fur) eat a healthy diet is now a nervous disorder?  ???

This is a proposed eating disorder which is marked by an excessive preoccupation with eating healthy food. The term was proposed in 1997 by the American physician Steven Bratman who was concerned that an obsession with healthy food could, paradoxically, lead to unhealthy consequences.

Sure it could lead to unhealthy consequences, if it's unbalanced.  Most people who go to the trouble to learn about species-appropriate nutrition (and human nutrition) in the first place, also learn how to balance the diet.  But there are also "unhealthy consequences" to eating lousy food, too.  And we're seeing it.  So are the doctors and veterinarians.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 03:42:06 PM »
And what is this evidence to the contrary?   Lol

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 06:55:23 AM »
I have a card that says I have been cured.

Tags: