Author Topic: Foxtails And Dogs  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Foxtails And Dogs
« on: July 10, 2015, 12:29:42 PM »
Foxtails are pretty common in my area.  I had no idea they could be such a problem, until my neighbor's dog had issues.  Thankfully she shared the info with me. 

The moment a dog comes into contact with a loose cluster of foxtail, it can attach to his fur and start to move inward as he moves. The barbs found on the cluster will keep it from falling off the dog’s fur, and the bacterial enzymes will cause the animal’s hair and tissues to break down. Foxtails can work their way into the animal’s body just as how they do in the ground.

This results in a very sick pooch. The degree of his illness will depend on the area where the foxtail has tried to enter, as well as how much damage was done in the process. Foxtails normally enter the animal’s nasal passage, ears, eyes, mouth, and even in the lungs, alongside the backbone, and into the many other parts throughout the dog’s body.

http://www.dogingtonpost.com/what-every-dog-owner-should-know-about-foxtails/
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Foxtails And Dogs
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 12:50:31 PM »
I saw this in a Black Russian Group:

https://www.facebook.com/BrentwoodVeterinaryHospital/photos/a.636389583117504.1073741830.451706884919109/829263543830106/?type=1&fref=nf

Brentwood Veterinary Hospital

The x-ray on the left is of a foxtail tract that was injected with contrast medium to show just how far a foxtail can travel. The lesion between the toes of the foot on the bottom right is how these tracts will look to the naked eye. This is a great example of just how far foxtails can migrate in tissues. Thank you to Dr. Andrew Grange from Veterinary Surgical Centers in Berkeley for this amazing x-ray.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 02:42:35 PM »
That is what happened with my neighbor's dog! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 07:57:35 PM »
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!   :o :o :o
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: