Author Topic: Lacy Goes To The Vet Sat  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Lacy Goes To The Vet Sat
« on: March 31, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »
Lacy was due for her rabies vaccination in December.  Yeah, I suck.  I know she is at little to no risk.  BUT... the law.  I'll be fined.  I'll get over it.  I FINALLY took the plunge and made her an appointment.  She needs a regular/routine exam as well.

Lacy is VERY fearful of other animals.  (To keep the story short... she was "beat up" by another dog years ago.)  She is very comfortable with the cats she has grown up with.  For some reason, people (in the waiting area) seem to think that my dog wants to meet their dog.  Or they have their dog on a leash that extends the length of the room, so their dog has access to every dog in the waiting area.  I just want to SCREAM.  Lacy stays "tucked" between my legs, so you would think they would get a clue.  Nope.

She LOVES people though.  I'll wait outside with her, to stop any "meet and greet" and to help keep her stress down as much as possible... until it is time for her to go into an exam room.   

She is a senior, so I will have a senior panel done.  She has never had her teeth cleaned, so I likely will have to make an appointment to have that done. 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Lacy Goes To The Vet Sat
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 01:23:31 PM »
Lacy was due for her rabies vaccination in December.  Yeah, I suck.  I know she is at little to no risk.  BUT... the law.  I'll be fined.  I'll get over it.  I FINALLY took the plunge and made her an appointment.  She needs a regular/routine exam as well.

Unless it's changed, I thought your state didn't require rabies vaccination (there are one or two that don't)?  And FWIW, the vaccine doesn't suddenly stop working at the 1 or 3 year mark (whatever the vaccine duration was for).  I'm sure she's still covered.  You could do a titer test to confirm that, if you wanted.

EDIT:  My bad.  It's required for dogs in your state, and for cats it's "strongly recommended."   I thought it wasn't required for either.  Oops.   :-[

Does Rescue Remedy work for her?  Great idea to wait outside with her.   thumbsup1  I hope all goes well.   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 02:01:40 PM »
I would skip Lacy's rabies vaccination in a heart beat, if I could.  "They" know rabies vaccinations last a LOT longer than 3 years, but it is the law that forces me.  Even if I wanted to break the law (longer than 4 months lol)...No vet (that I am aware of) will touch her, if I willingly choose to not vaccinate her.  Neither of us need the Rabies Police after us.  :)  Plus, all the other possible (but very unlikely) scenarios... 

I've tried Rescue Remedy and something else.  Doesn't phase her.  Plus, one time I was told that she shouldn't be under the influence of anything.  Seriously?  Anyway...I'm sure me stressing about her stressing doesn't help matters. 

Her fun snack is Cheerios.   Silly7  I'll take some Cheerios to occupy her mind. 

I know we will both live.  People take their pets to the vet every day.  The people and pets survive.  It is just KNOWING that YOU are going to take your dog somewhere, knowing it is going to stress her out to the max...  know what I mean? 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 02:11:51 PM »
I would skip Lacy's rabies vaccination in a heart beat, if I could.  "They" know rabies vaccinations last a LOT longer than 3 years, but it is the law that forces me.  Even if I wanted to break the law (longer than 4 months lol)...No vet (that I am aware of) will touch her, if I willingly choose to not vaccinate her. 

I didn't realize the law (or vets) had a time stamp on it -- that the pet had to be re-vaccinated within 4 months of it "expiring."  I've never heard of that before.  Ya learn something new every day!

Yum!  Cheerios!  That ought to "cheer" her up! (pun intended)  Silly7

I know we will both live.  People take their pets to the vet every day.  The people and pets survive.  It is just KNOWING that YOU are going to take your dog somewhere, knowing it is going to stress her out to the max...  know what I mean? 

Yes, I know exactly what you mean.  I never liked taking Pookie or his sister to the vet, either, because I knew they would be stressed.  Take your Rescue Remedy (for yourself)  :) and just keep saying "it's going to be okay . . . it's going to be okay . . . "  And besides, Lacy will probably forget all about it and "forgive" you as soon as you get back home.   :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 02:44:42 PM »
I don't know how it works in other states, but in mine.... I'm fined x amount of dollars for every month that goes by.  She was due the first of Dec.  Her Sat. appointment will be in April.   The fines (from the county) started in December. 

When I go to re-register her (done yearly...also the law), I have to send proof that she has had the rabies vaccination.  That is when I'll pay the registration and the fines. 

I suppose one could never register their dog and never get them vaccinated... and lie to a vet.  I've never had to show proof...not that I can remember anyway.  BUT ... if something should go wrong... it would not be good for Lacy! 

Since this conversation is public, I want to make it clear... I am NOT anti-rabies vaccinations.  I am anti-every 3 years.  :)  BUT I will do what the law tells me I have to do.  If I don't, my dog could pay for MY actions...with her life. 

You are sooooooo right.... our pets do always forgive us.  UNCONDITIONAL love. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 02:47:10 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 03:04:49 PM »
I don't know how it works in other states, but in mine.... I'm fined x amount of dollars for every month that goes by.  She was due the first of Dec.  Her Sat. appointment will be in April.   The fines (from the county) started in December. 

I went for a whole year on Vlad and 2 yrs on Barkly refusing until I found that Tractor Supply had 3-yr vaccine.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 04:53:31 PM »

WOW.  I've never heard of that.  I have no idea if my state/county/town do that, but then, I never had a dog and my town doesn't require cats to be licensed (and hopefully never will).  If I think about it, I'll have to ask Mom about that sort of thing since Dad had several dogs.  I just wouldn't have known about it or would have been too young to pay attention.

Does the vet offer the Purevax rabies vaccine?  That's been approved for 3-year use (sadly I don't think there's a rabies shot that goes beyond 3 years -- less money to be made if it's longer), and it doesn't contain the adjuvant.  If that's an option, that's the one I'd go with.  Just my  2cents.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 05:14:56 PM »
Let me back up...

Registration is required every year.
Rabies is required every 3 years.  Dogs only.  I thought 3 years was the norm everywhere, so I just assumed...   :-[
It has been proven that the rabies vaccination syrum lasts MUCH longer then 3 years. 
Titer tests don't count as proof. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 05:17:48 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 05:21:47 PM »

Same here. Not even if you have a dog like Vlad that has an autoimmune disease like Addison's. I just kept on refusing until I found the closest to me that was 3-year. His vet wasn't the happiest with me, but I kept on reiterating, "Vlad isn't doing what I consider well yet, and I'm not having Barkly shedding any vaccines around him."

The VIP Petcare clinic at Tractor Supply keeps me updated as to when it's due via email. I'll take them back to them when it's due. (and I didn't go  by the "rules" about "2 vaccinations in 2 years before a 3-year is done.") I just ignored it, and their vet didn't look up the rules and strike it against me after waiting so long to get it done. He just accepted the paperwork from VIP Petcare.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 05:24:56 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 05:34:00 PM »
Registration is required every year.

Same here.

Rabies is required every 3 years.

I think that's the same here, too.

It has been proven that the rabies vaccination syrum lasts MUCH longer then 3 years.

Yep.  I was just (badly) explaining to others who read this forum that there are 1 year and 3 year rabies vaccines.  Personally, I would always go with the 3 year (why hit their immune system every year with something that lasts longer that 1 year, anyway) and would go with the 3 year Purevax.  They all last longer than what their approved for, but they make more money keeping it at 1 and 3 years, and most pet parents probably don't know any better.

Same here.  I'm not sure any state counts titer tests.  But they are handy if you want to make sure the pet is still covered, for your own peace of mind, even if the authorities and vets don't count them as proof.  Hopefully someday, titers will be accepted.   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 05:43:55 PM »
I'm not sure any state counts titer tests.  But they are handy if you want to make sure the pet is still covered, for your own peace of mind, even if the authorities and vets don't count them as proof.  Hopefully someday, titers will be accepted.   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Here's the awful thing about titers and the state of TN: You can have them done, but if your dog bites someone, you're going to be sticking them into a 6-mth quarantine (not at your house) and you can't have contact with them. It will be at a vet's office or a humane office, and you'll pay for the care daily. (Plus they'll give them any freaking vaccination they want while they're in their care.) If the dog shows any aggression while there, guess what?

Can you imagine a dog that's used to living "in home" after 6 mths of that? Ever seen an animal that's been "closely confined" for an extended period? Yeah.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 10:22:03 PM »
I thought my rambling may have been confusing. 

3 year Purevax.... thanks I'll ask.  If they say no... then what?

if your dog bites someone, you're going to be sticking them into a 6-mth quarantine (not at your house) and you can't have contact with them. It will be at a vet's office or a humane office, and you'll pay for the care daily.

I THINK that is the norm, or at least most common routine, in most states. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 10:33:55 PM »
3 year Purevax.... thanks I'll ask.  If they say no... then what?

Then the regular (adjuvant) 3 year.  I personally would prefer to keep the shots to a minimum, and spread out over 3 years as opposed to 1 year.  And rabies should be done in the right leg.

if your dog bites someone, you're going to be sticking them into a 6-mth quarantine (not at your house) and you can't have contact with them. It will be at a vet's office or a humane office, and you'll pay for the care daily.

I THINK that is the norm, or at least most common routine, in most states. 

It's interesting, because Mom's dog bit her or Dad (I forget which) badly enough that they needed medical attention.  Obviously, the doctor had to report it.  But the dog didn't go into a facility for quarantine -- he was under "house arrest" for a few weeks.  But then, he was current on his vaccine and they had proof of that.  What I don't understand is:  ok, if he's current on the shot, then why would he need to be quarantined?  Either the rabies vaccine works, in which case he shouldn't need to be under house arrest, or it doesn't, in which case, why bother?  But then, I tend to see things as black and white.   :-\

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 10:38:48 PM »
I agree it IS odd that your mom's dog was quarantined at home, when they had a rabies certificate for proof. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 10:55:37 PM »
Reading through this thread.... geeeeeez I'm "out there."  I set out my big girl panties to wear tomorrow.  I GOT this vet visit!   Silly7
Hard to believe I raised two healthy and pretty normal humans.   ;D 

Tags: