Author Topic: Best Food For Your Cat - By ConsciousCat.net  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Best Food For Your Cat - By ConsciousCat.net
« on: March 29, 2012, 09:35:28 PM »
Snip...

If you’ve read this blog for any length of time, you know that I’m passionate about species-appropriate nutrition for cats. Cats are obligate carnivores, and they need meat not only to survive, but to thrive. The optimal diet for a cat is a raw or grain-free canned diet. Cats shouldn’t eat dry food; even the grain-free dry varieties are too high in carbohydrates.

And contrary to the myth that just won’t die, dry food does not clean your cat’s teeth. Most cats don’t chew their kibble long enough for any of the scraping action that is the theory behind this myth to kick in. What little they do chew shatters into small pieces. Some pet food manufacturers offer a “dental diet” that is made up of larger than normal sized kibble to encourage chewing, but in my years at veterinary practices, I’ve seen many cats swallow even those larger size pieces whole. Additionally, dry food leaves a carbohydrate residue in the cat’s mouth that actually encourages growth of tartar and plaque.

You can find many of the articles I’ve written about this topic in the Feline Nutrition section right here on this site. I also provide one-on-one consultations if you need help with transitioning your cat to a healthier diet.

I am often asked to what brands I recommend. The brands listed below are foods that I feed to Allegra and Ruby. This list is not meant to be exclusive, and it does not mean that there aren’t other really good diets out there. It just means that these brands are the ones I’m comfortable with after doing thorough research. Unfortunately, there are also many diets on the market that sound good based on what the pretty packaging says, but when you take a closer look at the label, you realize that there’s not much substance behind the marketing claims.

Read the rest of the blog here:
http://consciouscat.net/2012/03/22/the-best-food-for-your-cat/
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org