Author Topic: Yucca Schidigera Extract  (Read 5630 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Yucca Schidigera Extract
« on: December 28, 2011, 08:30:22 AM »
I am seeing this Yucca Schidigera Extract more and more in ingredient lists.  What is it?  What's it for?

One pet food manufacturer claims this ingredient is added to reduce fecal and urine odor.  But what IS it?  And how do we know it is safe for cats?

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
Re: Yucca Schidigera Extract
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 09:09:44 AM »
Horse people have used Yucca supplements for awhile now. Its kind of an anti inflamatory, kinda along the lines of MSM and glucosomne and condrotin. We use it for show horses, that are heavily trained and shown. I know Yucca is a good thing. Altho there is a zillion different brands of it, show people usually feed the 100% Yucca.

Horse show people, got show horses, that are worth hundreds of thousands of dollors, and in the horse show world, like at the World level, winning equals more, alot more, dollors. Horsie people are not going to feed, something that is going to harm these very valuable horses.

Here is a link, to one of the Yucca horse supplements.  :-*

http://www.wntpetsupplies.com/yupo10puhosu.html

TexasFlag bumpgif

where is our Merry Christmas stuff?  I guess we needs Merry New Year suff now, m-o-l  :P :-* Bumpurr1

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 09:37:08 AM »
Thanks.  Cats have very different physiologies than horses or humans though. There are MANY things that are safe for humans, horses, even dogs, that are not safe for cats.

How do we know this ingredient is safe for cats? Wny do we need to even take the chance?  There is no beneficial reason to the CAT that I can find,  for this stuff to be put in cat food.

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 12:26:44 PM »
Well, the only thing I can tell you, that I know for a fact, is that it is one of ingredients, in Blue Wilderness.  Even tho Bump picked it, his cardiologist at UC Davis, had to approve it, because of his issues.  His cardiologist approved it. He would not have approved it, if he felt, any of the ingredients were not safe for him.  I also know, this is a cat, who at 10 months old, was not supposed to live past 1 yr old, per 2 other cardiologist's. He is now 5 yrs old, and doing very well. He looks great and acts great, and runs thru the house at warp speed, with the kittens, and his vet and his cardiologist, let him go back on the circuit, and even tho he was in 1st place, in his Region, when they pulled him, he still finished in the Top 10, missing all those shows.   :-* Bumpurr1

You are right.  There are many things, that people, dogs, horses can have, that cats can't. And with Bump's issues, there are many things, he cannot have, that a normal cat can have. His vet, his cardiologist, are extremly careful, with what he can and cannot have, beyond careful.  Everything, a normal cat would be given, has to be checked, that is is safe for Bump.  They also know, how Bump's mommy is, m-o-l, another reason for them to be sure, m-o-l.   :-*

Here is a link, from the list of ingredients, from Blue Wilderness. Yucca is an anti inflamatory. If I thought, for one second, that Yucca was not safe for Bump, I would be "thee very first one" to make a stink about it. And we all know, what the big Bump's mommy, can do, m-o-l.  :D  :-*  (only cause, the baddy Lola, took away, my machine gun, m-o-l)  :P :-* Bumpurr1  :) TexasFlag bumpgif

Where is our Merry New Years stuff?    :P :-* Bumpurr1 cat4  

http://www.bluebuffalo.com/health/ingredients#yucca

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 04:23:37 PM »
MC,
Does this help any?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9368959

If it does, feel free to transcribe.  lol
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 11:08:25 AM »
Well that pretty much says the same thing. My issue with it is, the fewer additives to cat food the better, I don't need poop and pee to stink less, as I keep the boxes clean, you know?  But it's a losing battle I guess, as almost every food seems to have it now. Big Sigh.

Tags: