Author Topic: Interesting observation  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Interesting observation
« on: March 26, 2012, 02:56:19 PM »
Background:  When I was trying to care for Pookie's sister, at one point I used a homeopathic vet, and one of the things she told me was that certain foods are considered hot or cool.  I think this comes from Chinese Herbal Medicine.  Beef, chicken, and turkey were "hot," rabbit was not as hot and duck was cool.  One of the things I noticed in caring for her was that her ears were hot.

One day I was thinking about all that and wondered if Pookie's ears were hot (they were).  Since then I've noticed that if I feed him chicken or turkey, his ears are very warm/hot, but on days when he gets rabbit or duck, they're his body temperature.  Well, yesterday I gave Pookie a Bravo! raw chicken patty (split into several meals for the day)--no canned, and I remembered reading somewhere on this site that cooking changes the meat and that's why some cats can handle the raw version but not the cooked.  So just for fun I checked his ears.  They were normal, just like when he eats the rabbit or duck!

So if you and your cats are willing, would you all do a little experiment for me and see if their ears get hot (or not) when they eat certain foods?  I'm really curious to see if this holds true for other cats.  Just touch them or pet the head and ears, no thermometers needed.   :D

Thanks!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Interesting observation
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 03:08:40 PM »
 wow1  just never cease to amaze me.....  love1

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 06:13:46 PM »
I'm in :)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:35:11 AM »
This morning

Cat one:  had (always has) By Nature Organic turkey & chicken.  Her ears were normal temperature (slightly cooler than body temp)

Cat two:  had Weruva nine livers (chicken): her ears are normal temp.

Cat three: has refused breakfast so far.  her ears are slightly warm to the touch, but while she is next to me now,  I suspect she was just sitting in the sunny window before I started checking, so I'll have to try her again in a little while.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 12:19:35 PM »
For what it's worth, lamb and venison are also considered "hot."

I think Pookie may have blown my theory.  :-[  He was getting duck yesterday, and after dinner I checked his ears -- they were hot.  That may have been because he was in psycho-fluffy mode tearing around the house, so perhaps the ear temp is more a result of activity than food.   :-\

Okay, I clearly have too much time on my hands . . .  :-[ :-[  Bumpurr1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 05:52:45 AM »
To get Bump, to eat, anything, other than his Blue Wilderness......... your going to have to get a note from
the President, the FBI and the CIA, mol, and even then, ya better bring in 6 linebackers, mol, and my money is still on Bump, a not, eatin it, mol, mol, mol.   funny2 :D :P :-* Bumpurr1 TexasFlag bumpgif 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 07:45:31 AM »
All ears here remain at normal temperature, when fed chicken and/or turkey.  funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 09:56:38 AM »
Would the test be more accurate, if their ears are checked before (or after) they wash their paws and faces?   :D
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: