Author Topic: Adding water to dry food  (Read 7979 times)

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Re: Adding water to dry food
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 05:39:48 PM »
Yes, thank you for the chart. I guess right now I will just hope that I am never in a position where I can't continue to feed Amber an optimal diet.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 08:16:04 PM »
I guess right now I will just hope that I am never in a position where I can't continue to feed Amber an optimal diet.

I think the topic is a VERY good one. Not only would I like a "back-up" plan for myself, but there are plenty of people out there that...
1.  Are owned by cats and can't afford the more pricey foods.
2.  Financial circumstances DO often change.
3.  Are transitioning from dry to wet...and are often "sticker shocked."
4.  Many of the better foods aren't sold at the local pet stores.  Not everyone has specialty stores in their area, or wants to buy products online.
5.  If I was a cat, living in a shelter, I would rather be in a home... eating an "inferior" wet food.

We had 4 cats, when I learned that "quality" dry was the cause of our male's ER visits of crystals and blockages.  The jump to wet food wasn't so bad...especially considering the cost of the ER bills.  Add in 3 more felines.  Some months aren't so easy.

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 08:34:54 PM »
OK, so learned some new words today, m-o-l. Next question, how would we go about finding out how much %, is  a safe or OK level of salt, sodium and chloride?

I know Blue Wilderness is very low in salt, it is listed very far down at the bottom, and even tho Bump liked it, it had to be approved by his cardiologist at UC Davis, and he did, for the ingredients, and most importantly, the salt content. So if you can find the salt % on BW, we know that is an OK level.

I am way too tired to look it up, have to go to bed, so I can get up for work, and do another 12 hr shift tomorrow, m-o-l.   TexasFlag bumpgif

Dallas Cowboys, in first place, in the NFC east, sole possession.  usasmile   

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 09:43:15 PM »
Another vote for low-quality wet over high-quality dry.   :D

I'm a bit late adding my 2 cents, but Pookie and his sister just couldn't handle dry food, and I'm not going to take the chance on dry again, no matter how good the quality.  It's just not worth it.  The money I spent in vet bills was ridiculous, and I can't put a price on the peace of mind I get knowing I'm feeding him something that's healthier for him than what I fed him as a kitten.

Here's something to consider regarding adding water to dry food:  even if it gets eaten within 5 minutes, the dry takes longer to digest in the stomach.  So the bacteria still has time to grow.  I don't know if stomach acid would kill the bacteria, but if you have an IBD kitty, for example, that's taking a risk in my opinion.

Just my  2cents   ;D

2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 10:04:13 PM »
OK, so learned some new words today, m-o-l. Next question, how would we go about finding out how much %, is  a safe or OK level of salt, sodium and chloride?

I know Blue Wilderness is very low in salt, it is listed very far down at the bottom, and even tho Bump liked it, it had to be approved by his cardiologist at UC Davis, and he did, for the ingredients, and most importantly, the salt content. So if you can find the salt % on BW, we know that is an OK level.

I asked Blue Buffalo on their facebook page - they seem to get fast responses on there - it is publically posted and they don't want the questions to get others concerned.  It works thumbsup1

Does anyone know how to figure out the salt amount in cat food?  Are you supposed to ad the sodium and choloride together.  Table salt is NaCl (sodium chloride) so that is why I am assuming you need to add the two. 

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 06:03:09 AM »
Pookie made a good point. I am going to ask my vet about that, since she is the one, that told me to do it.
I know since I am feeding the others wet now, no more stinky poopies, no more throwing up, no more refusing to eat it.  So now, I am in a quandry, since the cans are $1.49, and I go thru alot of cans, and then there is Bump, who will only eat the BW dry.   :o

Anyhow, thanks Mo!  Something kick started them, your post, my mentioning my vet and CNN, m-o-l, got a call back, couldn't have been nicer, even sending me a claim form, that my vet has to fill out, and told me to take the bag back to Pet Smart. I am going to keep a small sample, just in case.......

There might be an issue, they don't want the public to know about, of course they want the bag back, then I have no evidence. Reminds me of when the hotel manager yanked the chore boy out of my hand, he knew what it was, I yanked it back, said my vet needs to see what he chewed up.  After I found out, what it really was, told corp. Told them, my next call is to the po-lice, and by the way, my vet has the chore boy.  They got real nice then, paid his vet bill $350. Always always, keep the evidence.  christmas4 TexasFlag bumpgif   

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 08:32:53 AM »
Bump,
I assume you had some sort of issue with Blue Buffalo?

I know many recommend that brand...and that is fine :)  I don't know if Blue still does this, but they used to RECOMMEND (in the directions, right on the bag!) adding water to their dry.  I stayed clear of all their foods after seeing that. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: