Author Topic: Carrageenan-free canned cat food list  (Read 94547 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Carrageenan-free cat food list
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2014, 10:42:09 PM »
The new line of Tiki Gourmet is carrageenan free. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 09:00:43 PM »
One of the holistic vet's staff mentioned this product:  http://www.lotuspetfoods.com/for-cats/

It is grain-free, carageenan-free and guar gum-free.  They all have at least 1 or 2 fish ingredients, though (e.g. ocean fish, clams, New Zealand green mussel, salmon oil).
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 12:03:07 AM »
Surprised to see that By Nature Venison Stew is carrageenan free.  Used to be just their organic line was carrageenan free.  Hmmm

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2015, 10:36:42 PM »
Nutrience canned cat food is carrageenan free, however it does contain guar gum but no fish or grains.
The 95% Turkey, Chicken & Liver Pâté is suitable for all ages and there is also a Chicken flavor for adults
and another for kittens. This is available from homesalive.com. I can't comment on how well our threesome like
this food as it hasn't arrived yet but a note to Middle Child to add it to the carageenan, grain free list for canned cat foods.

We just tried Ziwipeak's canned Venison--we have never tried any Venison products before---I can't believe that all 3 of our furkids loved it and no digestive problems whatsoever.  It is a pate.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2015, 05:22:50 AM »
Thank you very much Joy!

<edit> I searched for Nutrience but did not find a canned food, only dry.  Do you have a link?

Thanks.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Carrageenan-free canned cat food list
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2015, 08:45:58 AM »
Thanks for the info, joy!

Looks like Nutrience wet is only available in Canada.  :(

http://www.nutrience.ca/cat-food/nutrience-natural/wet-food/

Turkey and chicken pate:
Turkey, turkey broth, chicken, chicken liver, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, quinoa, natural flavors, guar gum, choline chloride, potassium chloride, salt, salmon oil, coconut oil, taurine, pumpkin, butternut squash, carrots, spinach, broccoli, apples, pears, blueberries, cranberries, pomegranate, juniper berry extract, ginger, fennel, green tea extract, peppermint leaf, licorice root, turmeric, yucca schidigera extract, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, magnesium proteinate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, thiamine mononitrate, niacin supplement, vitamin E supplement, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, biotin, vitamin A supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:48:08 AM by Lola »

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2015, 04:15:42 AM »
Lola re Nutrience---Sorry about that Lola. It took what seemed to be ages to finally be able to import Nature's Logic and a few other brands, so I know how you feel.  :-[

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2015, 07:31:06 AM »
Thanks for the info, joy!

Looks like Nutrience wet is only available in Canada.  :(

http://www.nutrience.ca/cat-food/nutrience-natural/wet-food/

Thanks Lola.  It's too bad they add all that filler.

sweet potatoes, chickpeas, quinoa, natural flavors, guar gum, choline chloride, potassium chloride, salt, salmon oil, coconut oil, taurine, pumpkin, butternut squash, carrots, spinach, broccoli, apples, pears, blueberries, cranberries, pomegranate, juniper berry extract, ginger, fennel, green tea extract,

Of course, any canned is better than none! And no carrageenan is a big selling point.  Hope they bring it to the USA in time, for people looking for carrageenan free foods..

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2015, 03:17:50 PM »
To Middle Child---I would like to clarify a few details regarding our conversation re Sydney a few days ago. Sydney is not a Ragdoll. He is a Balinese--blue and lynx pointed. HE IS 14.5 years of age. We do have a Ragdoll who is a kitten, 8  months of age and another Bali, Ashley who just turned 14.  The best article that I have read to date on Cat Nutrition is the following, a blog by a vet who is not promoting any brands. 

https://weethnutrition.wordpress.com/2015/07/14/i-love-cats-and-cat-nutrition/

thumbsup1

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2015, 06:41:24 PM »
The best article that I have read to date on Cat Nutrition is the following, a blog by a vet who is not promoting any brands. 

I really encourage you to read Dr. Pierson's site, www.catinfo.org.  She's not promoting any brands, either, and she does an excellent job explaining feline nutrition.  :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2015, 08:20:08 PM »
To Middle Child---I would like to clarify a few details regarding our conversation re Sydney a few days ago. Sydney is not a Ragdoll. He is a Balinese--blue and lynx pointed. HE IS 14.5 years of age. We do have a Ragdoll who is a kitten, 8  months of age and another Bali, Ashley who just turned 14.  The best article that I have read to date on Cat Nutrition is the following, a blog by a vet who is not promoting any brands. 

https://weethnutrition.wordpress.com/2015/07/14/i-love-cats-and-cat-nutrition/

thumbsup1

Hi Joy, thanks for your reply! hellowave I wasn't talking about Syndey though.  You said you were feeding Ben a "special dry" food because he was a ragdoll. I said ragdolls are just like other obligate carnivores, they do best on a more species appropriate diet, and those RC "breed specific" diets are not only poor quality, they are a marketing scam.

Thanks for the link! I'll have a longer look when I have more time, I've only browsed it briefly but this quote from the article is very old thinking and no longer thought to be true:

While this may be ok for a young healthy individual, animals with specific medical conditions such as liver or kidney disease can become very ill when fed a high protein diet.

In fact, cats who have health problems need a high MEAT protein diet high in moisture,  just like any other cat. Limiting the protein a cat gets leads to muscle wasting. Those "kidney diets" are very bad for cats. A cat already sick, needs all the species appropriate nutrition she can get.  Meat is high in phosphorus, so the cat may need a phos binder or blocker, but she does still need high quality meat protein.

Now, you don't want to give a sick cat a "high protein" diet where the protein comes from corn and other grains.  But then, no cat should have that kind of diet, anyway.

This is just not a comment that instills confidence in someone's knowledge of feline nutrition

wet food is also more expensive than dry kibble.

Cats can be fed fairly cheaply on canned foods, one just has to learn to read labels and shop sales.  And when the vet bills get high, from all that cheap dry kibble, the savings is gone, plus.

Anyway I will spend some more time reading the article more closely, I'm sure I will find it interesting, there is always something new to be learned.  I do hope that you will spend time with Dr Pierson's site. She gives a lot of information, and is very wordy, it canbe very overwhelming.

How I manage her site is, I started just going in, reading a little from one page or another, give that some thought, go in, read a little more and so on.  Some parts I have more interest in than others, at different times.  There is such a wealth of information there.

There are also a number of other sites with terrific information on feline nutriton in this seciton of our forum.

Pet Care Websites

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?board=94.0

:)

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2015, 04:07:14 AM »
Hi Middle Child --Where I do agree with the article is this: each cat must be treated as an individual and to be perfectly clear, I don't care about the cost of a tin of cat food as long as they don't start charging ten dollars for a 5 oz can! I do care about Sydney's stress levels . Our cats love variety in wet foods and there is probably only one almost perfect cat food in the world---Nature's Logic Chicken and even that is not perfect but it's close.  I am proceeding slowly and Sydney is eating more and more wet food. I should also mention that all three of our cats are in excellent weight---neither overweight nor underweight although Ashley could gain an ounce or two.

Now here's the thing that is most important--Sydney's Creatinine levels are now normal and his blood pressure is once again normal
. With all due respect, we must be doing something right. What I do well is researching and then synthesizing what I learn through that research and through experience. I believe that in solving any problem, that method delivers the best result.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:08:47 AM by joy »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2015, 09:46:22 AM »
I am glad Syndey is doing so well.  I certainly didn't intend to cast any doubt on your care or devotion to him, I do not doubt it at all. It's wonderful he is eating more wet food.

My opinions on the article were not directed to you, they were directed to the quotes I had included.  :) I agree that each case should be taken individually, but I disagree with a number of other things in the article, and find it somewhat contradictory.  Again, I am disagreeing with the author of the article, I am not criticizing you or your care of your cats.

My comments about the "ragdoll" food were also not about Syndey or your care of your cats. My opinions are based on my own research, knowledge, and understanding, and personal experience with these types of pet feed. I always hope, by sharing my opinions, to spare other people what I and my Mazy cat suffer daily from those kinds of "diets".

I used to think those kinds of foods were okay too. Having experienced the terrible long term detrimental effects  ofdry diets, and specifically "special" dry diets, I no longer think that and cannot keep quiet about it.  HeadButt

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2015, 12:18:37 AM »
Hi Middle Child....I take no offece. May I ask about Mazy? What is her condition?  You know our Vet was quite right when she said the subject of nutrition for cats is a touchy subject and she is always saying to me, "Joy, just do your best". I believe that you and I have that in common---we are doing our best because our Furry-Kids mean the world to us. Thanks so much for your lovely post. ;) HeadButt

Offline deuce

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2015, 03:50:33 PM »
Since Nature's Variety changed their vitamins and minerals to extend the shelf life to 3 years instead of 2 (info I received directly from Nature's Variety via email) our boys won't eat it anymore, it was their favorite until then.

I found another brand of food to try, it is First Mate http://www.firstmate.com/ . The boys Love It so far.