Author Topic: Why Feeding A Variety Of Brands/Flavors Is SO Important  (Read 4662 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Why Feeding A Variety Of Brands/Flavors Is SO Important
« on: March 25, 2014, 10:57:33 AM »
Another study shows AAFCO’s “Complete and Balanced” really isn’t, and the lie could be killing your cat.

Snip...

Researchers at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University recently completed a study on 45 brands of canned cat food. They were troubled by the disturbingly large number of recalls – five in the previous five years – citing thiamine (or Vitamin B-1) deficiency as the reason for the recall (another was called while the study was in progress!), and they decided to conduct a test to see how prevalent thiamine deficiency was in regular pet foods.
The researchers selected only cat foods that carried one of the above AAFCO labels, and they tested two cans from each brand: one that included fish and one that didn’t. (Side note: Raw fish contains high amounts of an enzyme called thiaminase, which destroys thiamine). Their results were shocking. Despite the AAFCO “Complete and Balanced” assurance, a wide range of thiamine concentrations was found in the foods, and a substantial percentage of the products tested below the amount recommended for adult cats.

http://catcentric.org/2014/03/24/another-study-shows-aafcos-complete-and-balanced-really-isnt-and-the-lie-could-be-killing-your-cat/
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Why Feeding A Variety Of Brands/Flavors Is SO Important
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 11:50:57 AM »
Soooo . . . thinking out loud here . . . would it be a good idea to add a B-complex vitamin to the food if feeding mostly/all canned?  Or would that be toxic?  B vitamins aren't typically a problem for humans, since they're water-soluble, but I'm not sure about cats and don't want to assume anything.

This is why I keep trying to add more brands to Pookie's rotation.  I didn't have a chance to try to goat milk yet.  I want to do it when I'm home and can keep an eye on him, so hopefully this weekend.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 12:53:44 PM »
Maybe just B12. Go to ibdkitties.net Lisa has a page written up about B vitamins :)
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »
This company has a capsule that's just B-vitamins that says it's for cats:

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Thorne-Research-Basic-B-ComplexVET/110035.aspx

It says cats get 1/4 capsule a day.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 03:53:46 PM »
Maybe just B12. Go to ibdkitties.net Lisa has a page written up about B vitamins :)

Well, it is thiamine, B-1 in the study that is showing up deficient.  I have spoken to my vet about Vitamin B for Mazy cat (the one with the digestive problems being discussed elsewhere).  She will not prescribe B-12 or B complex shots without testing levels first.  Mazy is due for bloodwork in June and I have told her I want the added lab test to check her B levels.

I have a B complex vitamin (for humans) I was using to supplement with when I first started prey model raw.  I stopped using it because it was causing Mazy to have trouble peeing. When she got the B complex added to her meal, the next morning when she peed she would hesitate and hesitate, and wince when the pee finally started flowing.  So I stopped it.

Since Mazy takes pepcid on a pulse regimen (two weeks on, two weeks off) I am concerned about B-12, too.  However egg yolk does provide a good amount of B vitamins, and she gets that twice a week, the other two get yolk once a week.

Anyway back to the topic, I've always tried (with the exception of mazy cat) to feed a wide vareity of brands and formulas for this reason (possible shortages or excesses in the foods) and also to avoid trouble when recalls happen, or foods get discontinued.  But, again coming back to Mazy cat, for her, it's just not been do-able.

..Off to read the links on vitamins provided....

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 04:28:27 PM »
Soooo . . . thinking out loud here . . . would it be a good idea to add a B-complex vitamin to the food if feeding mostly/all canned?  Or would that be toxic?  B vitamins aren't typically a problem for humans, since they're water-soluble, but I'm not sure about cats and don't want to assume anything.

Vitamins B and C are both water soluble, so you can't overdose with it.  A, D, E, and K are the ones that can be overdosed since they are fat soluble.

Vit. B acts as an appetite/energy booster so I use it all the time in calves that need a boost.  When I have given it to cats that are on fluids it also really seems to boost their appetite.  For the cats I give them a B-Complex capsule 1x a day...same amount I give the calves.  I've never noticed any bad side effects and just use the type meant for people.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 04:32:06 PM »
Thanks Mo! 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 05:40:19 PM »
I just read AC's article today, on her blog. 
I didn't think about it being bad timing...with MC and Mazy's situation.  My apologies. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 08:34:05 AM »
Vitamins B and C are both water soluble, so you can't overdose with it.  A, D, E, and K are the ones that can be overdosed since they are fat soluble.

Vit. B acts as an appetite/energy booster so I use it all the time in calves that need a boost.  When I have given it to cats that are on fluids it also really seems to boost their appetite.  For the cats I give them a B-Complex capsule 1x a day...same amount I give the calves.  I've never noticed any bad side effects and just use the type meant for people.

That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure.  Thanks, Mo!  Great to "see" you!  :-*

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 08:41:09 AM »
Well, it is thiamine, B-1 in the study that is showing up deficient.  I have spoken to my vet about Vitamin B for Mazy cat (the one with the digestive problems being discussed elsewhere).  She will not prescribe B-12 or B complex shots without testing levels first.  Mazy is due for bloodwork in June and I have told her I want the added lab test to check her B levels.

I have a B complex vitamin (for humans) I was using to supplement with when I first started prey model raw.  I stopped using it because it was causing Mazy to have trouble peeing. When she got the B complex added to her meal, the next morning when she peed she would hesitate and hesitate, and wince when the pee finally started flowing.  So I stopped it.

Since Mazy takes pepcid on a pulse regimen (two weeks on, two weeks off) I am concerned about B-12, too.  However egg yolk does provide a good amount of B vitamins, and she gets that twice a week, the other two get yolk once a week.

Just tossing this out there, instead of using a B-complex, maybe just add the B12 to her food?  I used to crush a sublingual (for humans) form and add it to Pookie's food.  I don't know why I stopped doing it -- maybe to see if that's what was making his lip swell (it wasn't).  And if B1 is a concern, maybe add that as well.  It could be that it was something else in the B Complex that was causing the pee issues, and the individual supplement(s) might be ok.

None of this solves the problem of finding foods that she can tolerate, though.   :(  grouphug

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 12:01:57 PM »
This came up on my news feed on FB today http://consciouscat.net/2014/03/26/canned-cat-food-thiamine/

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 02:21:27 AM »
This came up on my news feed on FB today http://consciouscat.net/2014/03/26/canned-cat-food-thiamine/

From the link above:

Study showed thiamine deficiency in 12 out of 9o foods
Thiamine (vitamin B) is an essential nutrient necessary for carbohydrate metabolism, muscle concentration, and never conduction. Thiamine is only stored in the body in very small quantities, and cats depend on their diet to provide a steady source of this vitamin. Thiamine is naturally found in meat, especially  muscle and organ meats, as well as nuts, legumes, and brewer’s yeast. After two to four weeks of a thiamine deficient diet, cats may exhibit signs of thiamine deficiency, which can include increased salivation, loss of appetite and sometimes vomiting. Advanced signs of thiamine deficiency include dilated pupils, a slow heart rate, aggression, and neurological symptoms such as a rigid neck or head.

A recent study by the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University highlights how little the AAFCO statement really means when it comes to choosing pet food. The Winn Feline Foundation reports that researchers analyzed 90 canned cat foods from 45 different brands. The study was prompted by five recalls of cat food during the last five years.Thiamine levels were below the minimum requirement set by AAFCO in 12 of 90 foods and below the minimum recommended allowance of the National Research Council in 14 of 90 foods. Paté style foods had significantly lower thiamine levels than non-paté style foods, and smaller companies (less than $1,000,000 in retail sales) had significantly lower thiamine levels than larger companies (more than $2,000,000 in retail sales.) Neither fish or non-fish flavor or country of manufacture had a significant effect on thiamine levels. Researchers did not reveal the brands included in the study.   

Sooooo, canned feeders really should be adding vitamin B-1 to cat meals.  ??

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 07:13:40 AM »
I don't know Lola.  The deficiency apparently shows up pretty quickly: (taken from the qoted section in your post):

After two to four weeks of a thiamine deficient diet, cats may exhibit signs of thiamine deficiency, which can include increased salivation, loss of appetite and sometimes vomiting. Advanced signs of thiamine deficiency include dilated pupils, a slow heart rate, aggression, and neurological symptoms such as a rigid neck or head.

My point being...we'd know if they were deficient based on this, so is supplementation necessary? Or perhaps just add in a little raw meat to increase thiamine intake?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 11:13:09 AM »
So raw anything would definitely give them the amount needed?  Ours get hearts and gizzards as snacks, and Stella & Chewy's is in their rotation... but not every day.

Tags: