Author Topic: By Nature  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
By Nature
« on: October 14, 2014, 12:09:04 AM »
They did away with the one flavor that MC's cats liked. 
Seems a lot of their products are often out of stock... for several months now.
Some of their stews are carrageenan free.  I don't think they ever were before.

Is something going on with the company... anyone know?

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: By Nature
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 04:49:13 AM »
I've been meaning to write and ask them if their caloric content has changed, gotten lower. Both Mazy and Jennie have lost weight, even after increasing their food a little and Queen Eva hasn't lost weight but she is eating at least a half ounce more than she used to.

Wait a minute.  That wouldn't make sense because the turkey & chicken and the turkey are both from old batches.

I am well stocked on the organic chicken, and not quite used up the turkey (just Jennie and Queen Eva eat) and the turkey&chicken.  The organic chicken seems to have quality control issues I never notice in the other flavors.  There are often lumps in it, that appear to be unmixed in supplementation, probably.

If I could find another organic food that didn't use fruits and vegetables.....

I buy my By Nature from Pet 360, on autoship.  I am always at least 3 cases ahead, so I don't have to worry about recalls or running out.

The Organic chicken is the only thing I use from By Nature.  I don't think the stews ever had carrageenan?  Seems I remember way back, Becky (By Nature contact) offering the stews as a non carrageenan option for me.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 12:54:13 PM »
Hmmmm Their stews always being carrageenan free.  Interesting.  I wonder what my reason was for only feeding their organic line.  It had to be something, other than it being organic. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 03:30:11 PM »
Well, the stews are relatively new aren't they?

Besides..mushrooms?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 03:44:34 PM »

Besides..mushrooms?

I don't think ALL mushrooms are toxic to cats and dogs. They just say all mushrooms should be considered toxic unless rapid identification is performed by someone that knows mushrooms well. I think the big problem is when pets get out in the wild and grab unidentified mushrooms.

I still don't let V&B have them--if I share something we have mushrooms in, I pick the mushrooms out for them. I don't want them developing a taste for mushrooms since we have a lot of them around here that I know for a fact are not safe to eat.

https://www.petfinder.com/dogs/dog-health/pets-poisonous-mushrooms/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 04:23:27 PM »
I don't think the mushrooms are toxic, I just see no point to having them in pet food, and try to avoid foods that have things like that.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 04:26:10 PM »
Well, the stews are relatively new aren't they?

Besides..mushrooms?

You are right, the stews are new-ish.  It is the 95% line that I was thinking of.  It contains carrageenan.  Dopey me...

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 04:35:27 PM »
I don't think the mushrooms are toxic, I just see no point to having them in pet food, and try to avoid foods that have things like that.

I'm wondering if they added them for the medicinal properties that mushrooms have? It doesn't say which species of fungi they used. I'm wondering if it's Shiitake or Reishi--or some other species?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 04:45:43 PM »
I'm wondering if they added them for the medicinal properties that mushrooms have? It doesn't say which species of fungi they used. I'm wondering if it's Shiitake or Reishi--or some other species?

More likely they added them so people will THINK they are added for medicinal properties.  It's all just marketing Dee.  I doubt there is any benefit to cats

Tags: