Author Topic: Pooping Outside The Box  (Read 13420 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: Pooping Outside The Box
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2015, 01:51:42 AM »
Hi Lola glad that your kitty has a clean bill of health :)  I was wondering if you have tried to add a bit more organ to the food to see if that helps??
Both my niece and my brother are having the same problem with their cats right now. :(
My advice to them (they are not raw feeders) was to firstly get some cat attract litter by Dr. Elsey's, then get some hairball paste (long haired cats).  If that does not work, then onto some better food, if the food change does not help then it will be a more in depth look into am IBD possibility.  Do you think this is ok advice?
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2015, 05:16:01 AM »
I do, except for the "hairball paste".  Those things are made with petroleum, very toxic.  No living thing was ever meant to ingest petroleum.

Safe hairball treatment, if they prefer traditional treatments can be Vet's-Best hairball relief.  It has to be given with wet food or mixed with water because of the pysllium, is all.

But if they are dry feeding, the problem goes much deeper than needing a hairball remedy, as we all know.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2015, 01:38:08 AM »
Agreed about the hairball paste, but the one I use does not contain petroleum. My brother's cat is fed an all wet diet, except for some dental chews  Doh1
My niece is young and does not have a lot of money, so have to start with what she can afford unfortunately
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2015, 12:14:28 PM »
Was that before or after the last poop outside the box?

If I understand your question... a poop outside of a box was done days after putting the one box back.

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2015, 12:17:15 PM »
I was wondering if you have tried to add a bit more organ to the food to see if that helps??

I purchased secreting organs from My Pet Carnivore.  So many places sell ground organs, but they aren't SECRETING organs.  (Thanks Pookie for that info!!!!) However, they are for future Hare-Today batches. Need something to work now, with the foods I have on hand. I decided to give 1/8 teaspoon of Miralax once a day.  So far so good.  (Knock on wood.)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2015, 12:30:42 PM »
As far as furballs...

If a cat isn't being fed dry or isn't already damaged from dry... hairballs go out the back-end... naturally. 
Feeding canned food pretty much stopped most of the furballs upchucks with our bunch.
With feeding only raw... I can't remember the last time I saw a furball. 

It is a shame that so many people think barfing furballs is normal... vet's especially.  This thinking makes many people think that seeing ANY fur in an upchuck episode is a "normal" furball barf.  In reality, the cat is barfing up the kibble and some fur just happens to be included. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:09:07 PM by Lola, Reason: clarity »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2015, 07:07:10 PM »
As far as furballs...

If a cat isn't being fed dry or isn't already damaged from dry... hairballs go out the back-end... naturally. 
Feeding canned food pretty much stopped most of the furballs upchucks with our bunch.
With feeding only raw... I can't remember the last time I saw a furball. 

It is a shame that so many people think barfing furballs is normal... vet's especially.  This thinking makes many people think that seeing ANY fur in an upchuck episode is a "normal" furball barf.  In reality, the cat is barfing up the kibble and some fur just happens to be included. 

iagree agreegif thankyou1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2015, 10:57:33 AM »
I hate to update... always seems to back-fire.  lol
I don't explain things very well, but I'll try.  :) 

Since Lucy's poops outside the box were PERFECT, I assumed she had issues with the litter boxes.  All possibilities were ruled out.
Also, Lucy was given a clean bill of health from the vet.
I already knew that the Hare Today mixture I have on hand constipates Lilly.  BUT Lucy's poops outside the box were picture perfect.  That is why I didn't consider constipation.  But then I thought maybe the poop before the one outside the box was a rough one...so the next time she pooped outside the box, it was because she associated her previous rough poo with the litter box.  The outside the box poo was normal poo because she would have eaten something other than Hare Today. 
I decided it was likely the bone content in my Hare Today mixture.  BUT then I fed Lucy Rad Cat only for 2 days.  Their foods don't contain real bone.  She pooped outside the box.   pullingouthair
Too many variables for my little brain to figure things out, so I decided to add 1/8 teaspoon of Miralax to her lunch meals... no matter what I fed her.  Since doing so... no pooping outside the box.
Miralax seems to be the mystery fix.  I am not fond of the idea of giving it daily.  I'm not a "fix it with a pill (or whatever)" kind of person...especially when I don't know for sure what the heck I am fixing! 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »
That is very interesting.  I know how you feel. But if she is feeling better....maybe in time you can cut down the days?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2015, 06:26:28 PM »
I added more organ meat to the Hare-Today mixture that we mixed up this weekend.  Can a cat have too much organ meat?  I ask because I thought about mixing in some in the Rad Cat and My Pet Carnivore... see if that keeps things rolling along, without Miralax.  Or am I just being overly weird about giving Miralax?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2015, 06:31:08 PM »
Well from reading I've done, "too much organ" will lead to diarrhea.  And of course, it puts the diet out of balance if you do it too often.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2015, 09:55:22 PM »
Well from reading I've done, "too much organ" will lead to diarrhea.  And of course, it puts the diet out of balance if you do it too often.

Yep, I've heard that, too, about too much leads to diarrhea.  And MC makes a very good point -- you want the meals balanced.  Most prey animals don't have extra organs.   :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2015, 09:32:21 PM »
I have read that too much organ meat can lead to diarrhea.  But I also read changing the meat, bone, organ ratio would help with constipation.    Conflicting info, or me not understanding, is pretty much why I prefer pre-made raw ...and why I don't feed any kind of extras, whether it be gizzard snacks, supplements, vitamins, etc.  Too easy to screw up. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2015, 05:03:20 AM »
Yeah I prefer premade too for those reasons.  The homemade prey model portions are only about 1/4 of their diet (when using a whole week of averages).  I supplement with calcium and taurine for those meals, except on the days Jennie-Jennie has her bone meal, she doesn't get calcium that day.

Tags: