Author Topic: Shadow not well :(  (Read 4619 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: Shadow not well :(
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 01:40:26 AM »
Thanks Pookie...we do not have a wood stove. I wish we did, I sure miss having one, and I used to put a pot in it too :)  We have one baseboard heater in the downstairs living area, it has been very cold here, but has warmed up in the last 2 days so I was able to shut the heat off. Im not sure how I would get moisture in the air? I do have a fish tank, not sure if that helps? Im going to go and look at humidifiers on my next days off. I was actually looking at a space heater online that has a humidifier in it as well, that way I may be able to turn the baseboard off?
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 10:10:37 AM »
Yes, fish tanks evaporate SOME (slowly), it's just not as noticeable if you clean the tank often since you add water then. I watched our old one do it once all of our fish were gone, and I was deciding if I wanted to take it down or get some new fish. 

The space heater/humidifier sounds like a good option, but I'd make sure the heat system part of it was ceramic or quartz. They're less likely to start fires. We've got 2 of the quartz heaters. One here in the living room where the cathedral ceiling is, and one upstairs--to keep the central from running so much. It helped our bill so much by putting one down here, that we put one upstairs too instead of having to crank things up when the girls were here and were playing up there.

You know those little potpourri things that look like crock pots? I've got one sort of hidden in a corner in every room during winter--WITHOUT the potpourri. I just check them every day and usually have to fill them a little.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 12:55:39 PM »
I wasn't sure what kind of heat you had, but mentioned the wood stove drying the air just as an example that it may very well be at least part of the reason for Shadow's thirst.  The others' suggestion about a senior panel at the vet is also worth doing.  Assuming everything's normal, it might put your mind at ease and give you a baseline to refer back to in the future.

I don't know anything about space heaters or heater/humidifier combos and will defer to Dee on that.   :)  I have central heat/air and have a humidifier in my kitchen and a small one that I keep by the head of my bed.  I haven't been using them this season since it's been fairly mild (knock on wood), but I'm sure I'll be turning them on at some point.

Another tip, if you don't do this already:  when the weather is consistently cold, you can set your thermostat for a lower temperature while you're sleeping, or when no one's at home, and warmer when people are home.  The heat won't come on as often, so the air won't be quite as dry, and bonus, it'll help save some money.

I just realized:  did you notice if Mango was drinking more, too, when Shadow was?  He's younger so maybe dry air wouldn't affect him as much, but if his thirst drive increased, then that would really suggest it's the dry air, IMO.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 03:11:35 AM »
Thanks Dee Dee and Pookie :) Yes Mango has been drinking a bit more, but he also drinks out of the sink whenever he wants lol! He has always been fascinated by water, he likes to put his head under the tap when I put it on haha!!
Dee Dee the heater I am looking at is a quartz I believe. Shadow seems to be doing ok for now. Next week we are supposed to dip in temps again, so hopefully I can get this heater before that.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 09:45:39 PM »
Any Shadow updates?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 12:13:21 AM »
Shadow is doing just fine...I really think it was the heat. Still have not gotten the heater I want...soon!!
Thanks for asking :)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 12:17:05 AM »
and here is Mango eating his Turkey neck :)
sorry about the size  :-[

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 05:07:09 AM »
Glad all is well.  Wow, Jennie would love a turkey neck.  Wish I knew were to find them for her.  Or even a pack of chicken necks, she loves them. This area doesn't have a butcher, just grocery stores.  The guys behind the meat counter are not butchers.  And they don't understand when I ask them for things like necks or kidneys. "We don't sell those". I guess everything comes prepackaged into the store.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 09:20:26 AM »
Shadow is doing just fine...I really think it was the heat. Still have not gotten the heater I want...soon!!
Thanks for asking :)

No more water drinking? 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 09:21:36 AM »
and here is Mango eating his Turkey neck :)
sorry about the size  :-[

Wow.  Does Mango eat it over his plate the entire time?  How big is it?  I ask because I ordered some from Hare-Today, but they could be 1 lb or more. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2015, 12:33:08 PM »
I'm glad Shadow is doing well!  And Mango is SO handsome!   cat4
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 01:22:42 PM »
No more water drinking. I get the turkey necks at a local grocery store, it is asian owned so they have lots of different varities of things, no chicken necks though. I paid 1.79 for a pack of 5. :)  and no he only ate it on the plate for a minute, then it went on the floor lol! I cleaned up afterwards. I will put down a towel next time.  So is this considered a meal? or just a treat?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2015, 06:23:52 PM »
No more water drinking. I get the turkey necks at a local grocery store, it is asian owned so they have lots of different varities of things, no chicken necks though. I paid 1.79 for a pack of 5. :)  and no he only ate it on the plate for a minute, then it went on the floor lol! I cleaned up afterwards. I will put down a towel next time.  So is this considered a meal? or just a treat?

I would think of it as a treat because it isn't balanced.  I would also (in a perfect world) reduce his food intake for the day.   

I'm okay with the cats and dog taking food off their plates... it is the dragging of food around the house that I find less than pleasurable.   ;D

Tags: