Author Topic: Are there any toxic bugs?  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Are there any toxic bugs?
« on: August 29, 2014, 06:17:09 PM »
Ugh!  There was just this long creepy crawly thing, either an extra long earwig or  but I think it had a lot of legs, some kind of centipede but it had pinchers on the end. Ugh, I stepped on it and meant to pick it up but got distracted.  Then I saw another one so stepped on that one, as I stepped on it I noticed the other one had disappeared, and then, before I could stop her Mazy ate the second one too!

Should I be worried? (dumb question of course I am worried)

But what on EARTH?  Mazy never eats bugs. Dead or alive.

UGH! SHUDDER.

And I can't imagine where the darn things came from.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Are there any toxic bugs?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 08:34:25 PM »
Thank you Dee!  I always thought centipedes were bigger and kind of grayish.  But yeah, guess these were centipedes. I never saw them in this apartment before and I've been here over 16 years. And I've NEVER seen Mazy cat eat a bug before, ever.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 10:24:34 PM »
We've got millipedes out here that I see sometimes--always after Barkly's started obsessing on it. I have to get him away from them fast, because SOME millipedes can secrete really irritating gunk--kind of like toads can from their bumps.

I don't want any experiences with him getting a worse reaction from any millipedes he might grab, than the foaming-at-the-mouth thing he's done a couple of times with toads.

Unlike my Daddy used to be able to do, I never was able to remember the level of "burn" from the different kinds of millipedes, so I just stay away from all of them.

Just today I saw where someone had tried to bring in some of those giant millipedes from another country and was caught. I'll try to find the article again.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 10:28:46 PM »
Yeah. What anyone would want with a foot-long millipede is beyond my comprehension.

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/29/6665138/giant-millipedes-caught-at-san.html   

SAN FRANCISCO -- Authorities say they captured nearly two-dozen live giant millipedes inside a fake toy box at San Francisco International Airport.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials announced Friday that officers made the discovery recently while inspecting a large box mailed from Germany. The box was marked, "Toy Car Model," but an X-ray showed there was no toy inside the box.

Officers instead found 20 millipedes, each a about a foot long, wrapped in a mesh bag inside a Styrofoam box along with some dirt and paper.

Customs officials say the millipedes have been turned over to the U.S. Department of Agriculture because the sender did not have the proper permits. It was not clear what they were intended for.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
Yuck!  Time to move...  ;)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: