Author Topic: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat  (Read 119202 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »
Success! bananamiddlechild  Mazy cat had a nice poop at lunch time.  Fortunately they'd already been fed.  I bagged it up and fled out the door to the vet.  As it was I was 10 minutes late getting back to work.  But part of that was because of the parking issues.

So her poop is on it's way to the lab for the fecal culture.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2017, 04:38:16 PM »
 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 DrLisaPiersonWorthy
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2017, 04:44:11 PM »
Just discovered I left the milk out.  I had just poured it in my cereal when she said she had to go.  I followed her down, grabbed it in a baggy when she was finished (baggies already down there waiting for the event) brought it up to label it, and forgot to put the milk away.  I did remember to dump the cereal, otherwise Jennie would have been into it.  Hate wasting food but this was an emergency.

I tasted the milk, it seems fine, I put it back in the fridge.  It was out for about 3 hours.

Can hardly wait to hear about all these parasites Mazy cat has. IF she has something it wasn't from raw meat. I more likely would be something I tracked in.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2017, 09:18:10 PM »
How long will it take before you get the results?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2017, 09:52:12 PM »
How long will it take before you get the results?

Results are in. The milk is fine. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

No seriously, I don't know. At least I week I think.

Mazy cat is still eating about half an ounce less than she really needs to maintain her weight, but it's the best I can do while she's on the antibiotic.

I sure wish I could find another food like By Nature Organic.  It appears I am always going to have need of a canned food to fall back on at certain times.  This is the first time since last summer, when her mouth issue happened.

She's used to this food so I don't even have to worry about transition times you know?  But this wil be the end of it.

That poop I brought in was her second poop of the day, it was her big hair poop, that comes along every 4 days or so.  So I don't know if they will actually have enough poop to find anything it's probably all fur inside.  I didn't take the time to break it open and check.  She had her normal poop early this morning.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2017, 10:25:19 PM »

groangif

Can hardly wait to hear about all these parasites Mazy cat has. IF she has something it wasn't from raw meat. I more likely would be something I tracked in.

I know you're being facetious but I just have to say (to your twit vet):  I highly doubt she has any parasites.  The vet is being a twirp.  Just my  2cents.   :D

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2017, 03:18:21 PM »
Mazy cat has gained an ounce and a half since going back to canned  funny2

I didn't really want her gaining any weight, I guess I have forgotten to total up each day's intake lately, I thought she was eating less, not more.

I don't think the send out fecal will find anything either.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2017, 01:39:37 PM »
Send out fecal is negative.  ;D

She's done with the baytril and will be going back on raw now.  (she started refusing raw by the third day on the antibiotics.)

I won't be starting the denosyl until the baytril is out of her system, and she is completely back on raw.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2017, 04:14:26 PM »
Mazy cat has been back to 100% raw for three days, hurray!  I haven't started the deonsyl yet.  I don't know why my vet prefers that over milk thistle (or even Denamarin, which has both the Sam-e and the silymarin, since we know she likes mainstream supplements)

I did ask her abut it and she said she didn't think the Denamarin was needed because the bilirubin was stil normal, but I could use that instead of the Denosyl if I preferred.  Not knowing how to choose I just took the box of Denosyl.

Can anyone recommend a good milk thistle source?  What I really want to know is, if I use milk thistle instead of Denosyl or Denamarin, do I still have to worry about no food for an hour after giving it?  THAT is the main problem here.

Giving it on an empty stomach is not a problem.  Waiting an hour before feeding is. I already get up at 5 a.m. I really can't, can not, do any earlier than that.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #174 on: March 29, 2017, 09:09:30 PM »

Smarty pants! 

Happy to hear Mazy is back on course.  :) 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #175 on: March 29, 2017, 11:04:21 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good milk thistle source?  What I really want to know is, if I use milk thistle instead of Denosyl or Denamarin, do I still have to worry about no food for an hour after giving it?  THAT is the main problem here.

See below.  As for when to feed it, I just did a SUPER quick search and it seems like it can be taken with or without, though some suggest taking 15 - 30 minutes before meals for better efficacy.  However, some also suggested that if you have a sensitive tummy, it might be best to take with food or after a meal.  Mind you, this was for humans.  I didn't search for usage in pets.

If you have time to also search on your own, this is helpful information on what to look for (from http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/milk-thistle-a-wonder-herb/):

Dosage and administration

The standard dosage of milk thistle seed extract is based on a silymarin content of around 80 percent; most supplements contain anywhere from 50-500 milligrams (175 mg is typical). Silymarin is found mostly in milk thistle seeds, but in low amounts. Therefore a milk thistle seed extract will contain the richest source of this active component, as well as other natural compounds found in the seeds.

Because of its excellent safety record and lack of adverse drug interactions, when I’m treating a very sick animal with advanced liver disease, I do not hesitate to use the full human dose–up to 200 mg per 10 pounds of body weight–of milk thistle extract daily. For most purposes, however, one-third to one-half of that dose is more than adequate. 

Human research studies have shown that it is more effective to administer this herb in three or four small portions over the day than in one large daily dose. When it is not possible to split the daily dose and administer the fractional portions three or four times a day, give it at least twice a day.

The capsule form is easy to find – any health food store, and even most pharmacies and  grocers, will have them in stock. The herb also comes in a liquid extract, but most human products contain a fair bit of alcohol. If you prefer a liquid preparation, get one specifically intended for use in animals.

NOTE:  Consumer Lab® released a report in December 2009 regarding test results from 10 commercial milk thistle preparations. Only Jarrow Formulas® Milk Thistle contained the industry standard 70% silymarin; all the rest fell short. They suggest using a product containing milk thistle “seed extract” as opposed to “seed powder” or “whole herb” to get the most silymarin.

One thing to note:

While it’s not exactly the fountain of youth, milk thistle clearly has wide-ranging positive effects throughout the body. However, before you add this potent herb to your pet’s daily regimen “just in case” it might do some good, it’s important to consider that some herbalists believe milk thistle is best reserved as a treatment for existing disease, rather than being used by itself in a healthy animal.

While moderate use of milk thistle is very safe, there is some experimental evidence to suggest that long-term ingestion of very high dosages of milk thistle will eventually suppress liver function.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2017, 05:53:05 PM »
Send out fecal is negative.  ;D

Nobody commented so I wondered if you'd all missed this

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #177 on: March 30, 2017, 06:46:43 PM »
Nobody commented so I wondered if you'd all missed this

I saw it.  I guess I just assUmed... so didn't think much about the results. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2017, 06:53:14 PM »
You should make the vet reimburse you for that test.  lol
What did you say when she told you the results?
I'm going on the impression the vet was assuming raw = parasites. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2017, 07:18:59 PM »
Sorry, I thought I'd already talked about the constant battle I have with her paranoia over raw and parasites. She sent me an e mail last Friday with the results.  I wrote back "thanks for the good news".  The vets there don't have private e mail and they no longer have voice mail.  There is no way to have a private communication with her, ever, except during appointments. I don't, cannot, take personal phone calls at work, and she is gone for the day by the time I get home from work. I just don't have the capacity to mix personal life during work. It's just the way I'm made.  ;D

Tags: