Author Topic: Dr. Jean Hofve, DVM "Take" On Hairballs  (Read 7447 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Dr. Jean Hofve, DVM "Take" On Hairballs
« on: July 15, 2011, 03:08:54 PM »
Hairballs...not to be mistaken for vomiting of food.   ;D

There’s nothing quite like the glorious feeling of stepping out of your warm bed onto a cold, squishy, slimy hairball! Perhaps we should feel flattered that our beloved feline companion has left a piece of herself as a special gift for us, but frankly, most of us would rather bond with our cats another way!

snip...

While an occasional hairball is no cause for alarm, if your cat is vomiting up a hairball more than once or twice a month, it’s time to think about a plan of action.

snip...

Prevention, as they say, is worth a pound of cure. Frequent combing is often all it takes to resolve the problem.

snip...

Hairball treatments generally fall into two categories: adding fiber to the diet, or giving a lubricant (usually a petroleum jelly product) to slide the hair through to the correct end of the cat for disposal. A third option, which might be used by a holistic vet, is homeopathy. A good remedy for foreign material in the stomach is Nux Vomica. A dose of Nux will often help the cat expel all the problematic material — but then you have to deal with a big fat hairball on the floor.

Read more here:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/hairballs/
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Dr. Jean Hofve, DVM "Take" On Hairballs
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 03:33:51 PM »
From personal experience...

An all wet diet got rid of all hairballs for our felines...but one.  (There is ALWAYS one.  lol) 

I did use the petroleum jelly "remedy" on the one, and it did work.  We were hairball free for mannnnnny months.  BUT ... when others suggested that I stop using petroleum jelly...I did.  I couldn't remember WHERE I got the suggestion from, so I heeded their advice. 

I stumbled upon the info again today.  Hence, the reason for the post above.

As always... YMMV   :)

If you (general you) do decide to use petroleum jelly, follow Dr. Hofve's advice and don't "glob" it on the feline's paw.  The cat WILL flick it off and you WILL be cleaning the walls and such.  I rub just a tad on the top of a front paw. 

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 03:44:55 PM »
We are on all canned, grain free and Tash managed to have a *problem* anyway~ she began pooping hairballs...   :-[

I was pretty freaked out because apparently she had been partially blocked by it...  Very messy to say the least  :-X

I opted for some hairball remedy~ there were so many choices I really didn't know which one to pick~ if anybody has one that they like, please do tell.  I have to double check to see the name of the one I chose.

I considered salmon oil as a more natural remedy, but I worry about spoilage and also I wouldn't know how much to give.

Extra brushing and hairball remedy seems to have done the trick for now  thumbsup1

cat3

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 03:57:51 PM »
How about a little dab of canned pumpkin a few times a week? The real stuff from Whole Foods, nothing with flavourings, such as the pie filling.  

Have read on forums, and on a couple of sites saying they've had success but don't wanna link because the sources themselves are selling products or services.)   :(

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 04:01:49 PM »
How about a little dab of canned pumpkin a few times a week? The real stuff from Whole Foods, nothing with flavourings, such as the pie filling.  

Have read on forums, and on a couple of sites saying they've had success but don't wanna link because the sources themselves are selling products or services.)   :(

The average grocery store (in my area) sells the pie filling AND real pumpkin. 

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 04:32:50 PM »

T&T have refused plain pumpkin, although I have not tried the organic type yet.  I also have not tried mixing it in their food~ that might work.  I really don't know how much pumpkin to give either though and because I am so worried about a blockage I am hesitant to rock the boat if hairball remedy is working.

The type I purchased is: NutriVet Hairball Paw-Gel

Ingredients:
Water, Stearic Acid, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Soybean (Glycine Soja) Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Psyllium Powder, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Lechithin, Chicken Liver, Catnip Extract, Potassium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Benzoate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Molasses, Methylcellulose

cat3

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 04:36:35 PM »
T&T have refused plain pumpkin, although I have not tried the organic type yet.  I also have not tried mixing it in their food~ that might work.  I really don't know how much pumpkin to give either though and because I am so worried about a blockage I am hesitant to rock the boat if hairball remedy is working.

The type I purchased is: NutriVet Hairball Paw-Gel

Ingredients:
Water, Stearic Acid, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Soybean (Glycine Soja) Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Psyllium Powder, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Lechithin, Chicken Liver, Catnip Extract, Potassium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Benzoate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Molasses, Methylcellulose

cat3

I like to BE SURE the cat with the problem is the ONLY one getting the hairball help.  That is one reason I like the jelly on the paw idea. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 05:12:10 PM »
Going all wet helped the hairball issue a lot, though it would still happen on occasion.  He gets combed every night which also helps.  I have to say, though, that for some reason since the spring Pookie has been having them a LOT more often.  So I'm giving him some canned pumpkin, just a teaspoon/tablespoon, and it seems to be helping.  I don't even have to mix it into his food.  If that didn't work, salmon oil was my next route.  I've read too many things saying not to give petroleum products to cats to be comfortable with that, but that's just my paranoia.  ;D
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Pinball

• Yapper
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 05:30:19 PM »
Hmm, interesting. Despite having four cats of different fur length and different degrees of shedding, we hardly ever get furballs; despite not grooming them daily. I would say we get one a year. Not sure whether that is because of their diet (mostly raw, if not then wet with a good fat content; as well as salmon oil a couple of times a week - from capsules, which prevents wastage as they don't spoil as quickly. Just pierce and drizzle on and chuck the gelatine shell) or because they have access to cat crass. Or maybe just a quadruple dose of luck!  cat3

Those of you using pumpkin mash. Do you make it yourself?

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 02:10:11 AM »
One word "Coconut Oil"  ok that is two, mol!! it works!! thumbsup1
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 05:43:00 AM »
One word "Coconut Oil"  ok that is two, mol!! it works!! thumbsup1

How do you use it?  I don't think my cats would eat it mixed in food.  How often?  Where do you get it?

I use a furminator on three of my cats, two daily, the kitten a few times a week, and one does not allow brushing of any kind.  The Boy gets hair ball illnesses, where he becomes sick with diarrhea and vomiting and inappetance, sometimes for several days.  The illnesses are becoming more frequent as he ages.  He is on an all canned grain free diet with daily de-shedding.  There may be a motility issue, but I am not willing to try cisapride with him. When he gets that sick I give him fluids, and mass quantities of hair ball medicine until he passes the fur (it passes in the diarrhea, large flat mats of it)

The kitten has thrown up one hair ball, and the other two rarely bring one up, because during shedding season I dose with hair ball remedy every other day.  I always dose on an empty stomach, and do not feed for two hours after. Hair ball products interfere with nutrient absorption.  You want the stuff to glom onto fur, not food.

When it gets to be the end of October I begin tapering the doses, until they are back to once every four or five days.

I put the stuff directly in their mouths and they swallow it.  They hate it, all except for The Kitten, who would eat as much of it as I let her. She only gets the stuff once or twice a week. I rotate three brands, since I am not thrilled with any of the brands.

That Nutrivet stuff uses vegetable oil, which is basically useless.  Vegetable oil, like butter, digests too quickly to be any real use, so I don't know why they bother using it.  I notice the other active ingredients are psylium. (psylium is what is in metamucil) and coconut oil, but they are further down on the list. It also has alcohol in it, which I wouldn't like to put in my cats.

I do use pure psyllium added to one of my cat's food periodically, the one who has anal gland problems.

I am interested in how and why coconut oil works.

Offline Pinball

• Yapper
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 06:30:55 AM »
MC, when you say you use psyllium. Really daft question but do you soak it first? And you use a furminator daily on two of your cats? I find that it strips them off their natural oil and their coat actually seems to change with frequent use (not for the better I like to add) so I only use it once a month on my BSH. I thought it wasn't "meant" to be for daily use....

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 12:58:17 PM »
How do you use it?  I don't think my cats would eat it mixed in food.  How often?  Where do you get it?
If you google it you will find that alot of people use for many things.  I use it for my cooking, my skin, and hair. Also you can use it for hairballs.  I just let them lick it off my finger just a little bit a day. maybe 1/4 teasp. every day for a week then after that every second day. My Wilson get hairballs because he is always licking his long fur under his chin, maybe I should trim it, I dunno, but he also attacks Shadow sometimes and gets fur from that
I buy mine at the health store It needs to be organic extra virgin cocunut oil. Its solid until you put it on your finger and it will start to melt from the heat from your finger. It has a very long shelf life.  A great site to read about it is earthclinic.com   This is the kind I buy. https://store.nutiva.com/coconut-oil/

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 02:48:53 PM »
Hi Pinball,

No, I don't make the pumpkin mash.  It's actually sold in grocery stores.   thumbsup1

I tried the Furminator on Pookie and his sister, and I swear it made the hairballs worse.  I think it loosened up so much fur that when they groomed themselves they ingested too much of it.  They weren't on all canned at the time, but I've been afraid to use it since.  Why rock the boat?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 12:46:41 AM »
How do you use it?  I don't think my cats would eat it mixed in food.  How often?  Where do you get it?