Author Topic: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)  (Read 40659 times)

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
Re: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)
« Reply #195 on: December 17, 2018, 01:15:43 PM »
You are doing what you can and it seems to be working.

Offline Woodland Girl

• Yapper
« Reply #196 on: December 17, 2018, 02:17:58 PM »
Please don't beat yourself up MC. You're doing everything humanly possible for Jennie, . . . . . as well as much that many would consider impossible!

Sending hugs , furry headbutts, and much love, across the pond.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #197 on: December 17, 2018, 03:51:53 PM »
No it's not constipation, not the way we usually think of it, anyway.  Her cancer is in her colon, so anything passing through has to get past the mass (es).

Her poops are, for the most part normal looking, once she gets them out.  A couple of her litter box trips might result in small mushy pieces, instead of formed, but that is happening less often, almost all are formed, even the tiny ones.

But sometimes she goes down and stands for a long time and produces nothing. She doesn't strain when she does that she just..stands there as described and eventually leaves the box without going into the poop crouch and push.  That of course is the cancer making her feel like she has to go, even when there isn't anything to go.

In her notes the IM vet did mention that she may need lactulose at some point. I hope not, I loathe that stuff and I know Jennie would, too.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #198 on: December 17, 2018, 07:37:40 PM »
 HeadButt
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #199 on: December 18, 2018, 05:35:20 AM »
Thanks all.  Meant to mention, Jennie isn't getting the sub q fluids regularly yet.  Just that one time when she wasn't eating, and I have the bag if that happens again.

She gets a couple tablespoons of water added to each canned meal, that is 8 servings a day so that is an extra at least 16 tbs of water a day. (I just looked it up that is equivalent to 8 oz)

Upping the buprenorphine seems to have done the job, she is clearly feeling much better.  I still don't know what it was that tipped me off she was having pain.

It's funny how subtle cats are. You don't really notice anything WRONG, until you fix it, then you notice how much BETTER she is.

Of course I say something similar to people about diet all the time.  ;)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #200 on: December 18, 2018, 09:10:55 AM »
Upping the buprenorphine seems to have done the job, she is clearly feeling much better.  I still don't know what it was that tipped me off she was having pain.

Because you know her.  Whether you're consciously aware of it or not, on some level you're reading her, and you just know.   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

I'm glad she's feeling better!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #201 on: December 18, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »

She is feeling better which in turn makes you feel better.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #202 on: December 19, 2018, 10:43:52 AM »
Just thinking about you two...

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #203 on: December 19, 2018, 10:22:57 PM »
 HeadButt

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #204 on: December 21, 2018, 06:32:58 PM »
Thanks Lola Hug1

You know I look at her and think..this cat can't possibly be ill.  LOOK at her! Even on an all canned diet her coat hasn't lost much, if any, of the quality it had on raw. Maybe a little. Jennie always has had a nice coat. I've had to reduce her food because she keeps gaining weight and the last thing I want is for her to be overweight. Whoever heard of a cat with cancer in danger of gaining weight?

But then there's this....this morning was the downside day of her piroxicam and she hadn't had her bupe yet.  She seemed fine, nothing really noticeable, maybe a bit quiet.  But right before I got in the shower I gave her the bupe.

15 minutes later, back in the kitchen for their final breakfast and she was up and about and doing a song and dance.

And once again I am reminded.....you don't notice them feeling poorly, until they aren't any more.

Well the drugs are keeping her enjoying her life and they arne't affecting her negatively in anyway I can tell, so it's all good.

I still don't have the mail order buprenorphine so I am going to have to buy another week's worth from the vet. They haven't gotten the written prescription yet. It was mailed Monday. Stupid holidays slowing everything down I suppose.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #205 on: December 22, 2018, 10:26:02 AM »
The drugs are keeping her enjoying her life and they arne't affecting her negatively in anyway I can tell, so it's all good.

thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #206 on: December 23, 2018, 07:09:10 AM »
Good to hear that she is taking well to your loving treatment. How is the rest of your gang? How are you doing?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #207 on: December 24, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
Good to hear that she is taking well to your loving treatment. How is the rest of your gang? How are you doing?

Thank you!  We're all doing well. I had my annual visit to my friend who lives 2 hours drive away over several mountain passes, which while it's a beautiful drive has become exhausting as I get older.  That was Saturday so yesterday I barely moved, haha. Much to all of the cats' delight.

Now here's yesterday's version of where we spent the afternoon, as you can see there is always some variation in who takes which bed. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #208 on: December 24, 2018, 10:11:43 AM »
This second picture was taken later in the evening. I had wanted to lie down and take a nap but the couch was still occupied as shown above. Only that little space in the middle with the pink blanket for me.

So I went to bed instead.  It was chilly in the bedroom and I didn't want to un-make the bed so I came back out in the living room to get the afghan from the back of the couch. And this is what they did when they saw me reach for it.

And not to leave you in suspense..when I woke from my nap over an hour later, as you might have guessed, they were ALL in there with me.  funny2

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #209 on: December 24, 2018, 10:17:21 AM »
And not to leave you in suspense..when I woke from my nap over an hour later, as you might have guessed, they were ALL in there with me.  funny2

They were keeping you warm!   funny2
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: