Author Topic: Tail Vaccinations  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Tail Vaccinations
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:47:45 AM »
Has anyone done this?

By Dr. Becker

It is estimated that from one to 10 cats out of every 10,000 vaccinated will develop cancer at the vaccine injection site, also known as vaccine-associated sarcoma (VAS). A sarcoma is a type of cancer resulting from changes in connective tissue cells. Feline vaccine-associated sarcoma is a malignant tumor that is primarily associated with two vaccines: the rabies vaccine, and the feline leukemia virus (FeLV) vaccine.

For several years, it has been customary for feline rabies vaccines to be given in the right rear leg and FeLV vaccines in the left rear leg. The injections are made below the knee joint so that amputation of the lower portion of the leg can be offered to cat owners as a cancer treatment option. However, many owners of cats with VAS refuse amputation of their kitty’s leg because it’s painful, disfiguring and costly.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2014/01/10/cat-vaccination.aspx
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Tail Vaccinations
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 09:09:43 AM »
Darn, I meant to ask my vet about that when I took Mazy in last week.  Mazy had her purvax rabies, and before the vet gave it, I was planning to ask about the tail vacs. I forgot. Phooey.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 02:15:05 PM »
I read the article AFTER a few got rabbies vaccinations recently.  :( 
How do you know if a vaccination is "purvax" or not? 

For years, the felines got one "round" of all vaccinations, and then nothing again.  But… with the added outdoor enclosure, I started getting a bit nervous about any possible exposure to something.  Soooo, I've been taking them in one at a time.  I just don't feel good about it though.  I have the feelings...damned if I do, and damned if I don't.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 02:30:30 PM »
I just don't feel good about it though.  I have the feelings...damned if I do, and damned if I don't.

I have that same feeling. At least the new vet says he'll get the 3-year for me this year now that Vlad has had the requisite 2 annuals. My damned if I don't is wondering what would happen if he bit someone in another state when we're out in the RV. Now THAT scares me.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: