Author Topic: Animal Shelter Volunteer - Question  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Animal Shelter Volunteer - Question
« on: January 27, 2014, 02:44:02 PM »
I know someone that volunteers at an animal shelter.  Often they have ear mites, URI, etc.  This person has cats at home.  The cats are not up to date on vaccinations.  Maybe/probably first year vaccinations only. 

I understand the risk maybe slim, but isn't there still a risk?  Can this person bring something home.. on her shoes or clothes... and give it to her cats? 

She cleans litter boxes and plays (the cats crawl all over her) with all the cats up for adoption.  She also transports sick cats to a vet tech. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Animal Shelter Volunteer - Question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »
Well I can tell you that there's a reason a lot of breeders make you leave your shoes at the front door before coming into their house to meet puppies.

There's also a reason that our vets don't want any puppies we get to be out and about before they're 4 mths old.

Without time for protection to activate, or without protection at all, things can be gotten.

Several mites carried by pets can also be zoonotic. Even if they weren't, I'd be having a place in the house to strip down and throw the clothing in the washer immediately--and I'd take a shower before my pets were allowed near me.

Also, I'd have a pair of rubber boots of some sort to wear at the shelter that never enter my vehicle or house.

These are just common sense steps to take when working in places like shelters.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 06:15:12 PM »
I answered this post in a lot of detail a couple of hours ago.  What the heck happened to it?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 03:09:38 PM »
None of her cats are young, but none of them are up to date on any vaccinations... I'm almost positive. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 03:14:35 PM »
Her vet said... Absolutely nothing to worry about!  But he says a lot of things that make me cringe. 
I shared my experience, concerning Jenkins, with her.  None of our other furkids were adopted, from shelters, so I had NO CLUE that they wouldn't be in top notch health.  I just ASSuMEd.  :-[
BUT... her vet said.  So, she won't even consider the possibility that there is a risk.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 04:00:16 PM »

BUT... her vet said.  So, she won't even consider the possibility that there is a risk.

Ahhhh. . .the magic of the delusional mind where nothing bad ever happens having a glass always completely full!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 05:01:13 PM »
Ok, I know I'm the 'anti-vaccine queen' but . . . . unless it's rabies, I don't know that I would be overly concerned, ONLY if they've had their first shots and the first follow-up boosters.  From what I've read from Dr. Hofve, Dr. Pierson and Dr. Becker, after that first year, most if not all of vaccines are good for a VERY long time, and possibly for life.  And I'm thinking the shelters cats would have been vaccinated for rabies.   ;)

Just my 2 cents.   2cents
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 06:37:36 PM »
Just an addendum to my previous post  :D:  that's not to say that she shouldn't take the precautions that Dee suggested (changing clothes, shoes, etc.).  Better safe than sorry.  I have to wonder, though, if they've been ok to this point, they may have built up really strong immune systems if they're being exposed to anything she may be bringing in.  But I would personally still take the precautions . . .

Ok, rambling now . . . going to get some dinner.   :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 06:59:36 PM »
But I would personally still take the precautions . . .

To me, it would be different if some titers were taken; however I get the feeling that's not the case this time.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 07:51:55 PM »
Pookie,
I understand what you are saying.  I agree the odds are slim to none, concerning rabies.  The vaccination info was... just info.  Me giving all the details about the situation. 
Anyway...  I thought there was a possibility of her bringing home something.  Something germ-y. 

She just started the volunteer work.  Annnnnd, I wasn't trying to talk her out of helping!   I just want her to take precautions.  She believes there is zippo chance of anything happening... even if she allows a sick one (from the shelter) to "mingle" with her bunch. 

PS
Being the Anti-vaccine Queen isn't a bad thing.  ;) 

PSS
I may not go to the extent that Dee would.  That isn't a bad thing either.  Some precautions should be taken. 

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:07:12 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 08:08:54 PM »
PPS  lol

I could be totally wrong and full of ship... that is why I posted.  :)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 08:28:24 AM »
I agree that there is a possibility of her bringing something home, and that precautions should be taken.  It never hurts to be cautious, and it's a shame she doesn't see it that way.  As for letting a shelter kitty "mingle" with hers -- no way would I agree with that.  I was under the impression that whenever you bring a shelter kitty home, you're supposed to keep them in a separate room from the other household pets for a time, in order to A.  Slowly introduce them to each other and B. make sure the shelter kitty is healthy before exposing the other pets to the new addition.

You did what you could to get her to think.  That's all you can do.  grouphug

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 07:10:37 PM »
I agree that there is a possibility of her bringing something home, and that precautions should be taken.  It never hurts to be cautious, and it's a shame she doesn't see it that way.  As for letting a shelter kitty "mingle" with hers -- no way would I agree with that.  I was under the impression that whenever you bring a shelter kitty home, you're supposed to keep them in a separate room from the other household pets for a time, in order to A.  Slowly introduce them to each other and B. make sure the shelter kitty is healthy before exposing the other pets to the new addition.

You did what you could to get her to think.  That's all you can do.  grouphug

The bolded part...  I ALWAYS introduced a new comer slowly...behind closed doors.  For at least a week, and never before being seen by my vet.  Jenkins (shelter cat) was the only one that I did not.  bangshead  Since they said he was recently seen by a vet... I ASSuMEd.  More  bangshead  He had ear mites and an URI...and shared!  Since this person is assuming the same as I did... that is why I shared the Jenkins story with her.  But...   :-\
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:12:23 PM by Lola »

Tags: