Author Topic: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat  (Read 119042 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 09:48:19 PM »
Forgot to update yesterday.  Mazy cat lost another ounce.  :(

Conversely she went 9 days without regurgitating (today would have been 10, but she brought up lunch.)

Hmmmm . . . knowing how dedicated you are about her meals, I wonder why she lost weight?   :-\
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 06:23:44 PM »
I don't know Pookie.  I've increased her food even more this week.  Of course this means I am back to no walks after work, I have to come straight home in order to have enough time to get enough food into her.

This happened last year at this time too. First she had that week of diarrhea, then I couldn't get the weight back on her for months.  Then suddenly it all went away.

So I just don't know.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 11:12:48 PM »
This happened last year at this time too. First she had that week of diarrhea, then I couldn't get the weight back on her for months.  Then suddenly it all went away.

Since this happened last year, perhaps it's the change in season and daylight hours, and her body needs time to adjust?

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 04:55:42 AM »
Could be.  She threw up her bed time meal last night. Sigh....

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 09:26:57 PM »
Could be.  She threw up her bed time meal last night. Sigh....

:( grouphug

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 08:32:54 AM »
 Hug1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 09:03:30 AM »
Mazy cat gained back an ounce this past week.  In spite of regurgitating every 2 days.  Then she puked up her entire breakfast this morning too.

I'm putting her on canned for the day.  I'm sick of wasting all my hard work and money in puke.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2016, 07:53:19 PM »
That's wonderful that she gained!  So is she back to her normal weight now?

I'm so sorry about the puking.   :(

grouphug GoodVibes grouphug

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2016, 08:51:54 AM »
Are you adding the EZ to every meal?  JUST a suggestion... try a few meals without it.  My reason for the suggestion...Roxy (my barfer) and EZ don't seem to get along.  I can't imagine why though.  If I had to pull a guess out of thin air... it is something her body isn't used to.  ??

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2016, 11:39:19 AM »
Mazy cat gets EZcomplete for supper meal. 1.2 ounces of either chicken thigh, chicken breast or cornish hen.  I separate .4 oz of the meat for her to eat plain.  The other .8 oz is mixed with the appropriate amount of EZc for the entire 1.2 ounces of meat, and her bone broth. She eats that .8 oz/EZc/broth in 4 servings, then has the last .4 oz plain.  It takes 3 hours to feed her that.

The rest of her intake is Rad Cat.

She has no trouble with the EZc and has never regurgitated a meal with it. She's been having it since February.

Nothing has changed in all these years.  Sometimes she goes 7-10 days, once in a very great while she goes 14-21 days (but when she does that she usually pukes 3 or 4 days in a row once she starts) and sometimes she goes every 2 or 3 days.

No pattern other than that.  Every time I think I've found something that helps, it only helps for a short time then she goes back to the above.

It's just the way it is for her. I don't believe it will ever change. I'll have the IgA testing next time she's at the vet (hopefully not until January) and see if that shows anything.  But I am not putting her through extra trips for that blood test. Any other cat I might, but it's just too much for Mazy cat.  I won't stop her 6 month check ups but I am not bringing her in for an extra trip unless she loses condition or has some emergency..

PS Thank yo for trying to think of ideas for her.  I don't mean to sound ungrateful.   HeadButt

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2016, 08:56:33 PM »
PS Thank yo for trying to think of ideas for her.  I don't mean to sound ungrateful. 

It is all good.   ;D

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2016, 10:05:37 AM »
That's wonderful that she gained!  So is she back to her normal weight now?

I'm so sorry about the puking.   :(

Well, she had a half ounce to go.  This morning weighs in at the same as last week, so while not losing, still has to gain that other half ounce.

Still regurgitating every 2-3 days. I'm starting to wonder about the Vets'-Best formula change, and if that's the culprit.

I think I forgot to post about that here, I'll need to make a thread.  Back in early summer they changed the formula some what.  They claim it hasn't changed all that much and the cellulose that is listed on the new label, was always in there, but it just wasn't on the label before.  I am having my doubts about that now.

I did a very slow transition from the old formula to the new.  Queen Eva and Jennie aren't affected by it. But they only get Vets-Best once a week.

Anyway, she's maintaining now, but it's, again, costing me my after work walk to manage it.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2016, 11:35:11 AM »

I think I forgot to post about that here, I'll need to make a thread.  Back in early summer they changed the formula some what.  They claim it hasn't changed all that much and the cellulose that is listed on the new label, was always in there, but it just wasn't on the label before.  I am having my doubts about that now.

I'm still going to contend that pine-tree cellulose (it's that unless it specifically says "vegetable cellulose") is BAD, BAD, BAD! Remember the report  where it proved that "purified cellulose" caused changes in digestion of other cellulose? Well if it changes the digestion of one thing, it's going to change the digestion of other things:

Such preparations of cellulose have very different physical properties from the cellulose present in the plant cell wall and so lead to conflicting views of the role of cellulose in the gut. For example, in the work of Van Soest's group10 11 in which healthy volunteers were fed controlled diets with the addition of cellulose from either cabbage, bran, or a purified cellulose (Solka Floc), average cellulose digestibility was 74% on the control diet, 75% in the cabbage, about 53% in the bran but only 25% from the Solka Floc. Moreover, the purified cellulose depressed the breakdown of other cell wall polysaccharides and reduced cellulose digestion in the subjects when they were changed to other diets. The capacity of colonic microorganisms to digest cellulose in vitro was also tested and in these studies the purified cellulose was virtually indigestible, while that from cabbage was extensively degraded. Similar findings were reported in 1936 by Williams and Olmsted' who fed three medical students cellulose from a wide range of food sources and observed that while 60-70% from carrot and cabbage was digested only 0-10% of a purified cellulose was broken down and 3-25% from cotton seed hulls.

http://gut.bmj.com/content/25/8/805.full.pdf
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2016, 08:42:27 PM »
Still regurgitating every 2-3 days. I'm starting to wonder about the Vets'-Best formula change, and if that's the culprit.

I did a very slow transition from the old formula to the new.  Queen Eva and Jennie aren't affected by it. But they only get Vets-Best once a week.

Anyway, she's maintaining now, but it's, again, costing me my after work walk to manage it.

:(

You may be on to something with the Vet's Best.  You're very intuitive so (no pun intended) you might want to "go with your gut."  Esp. after reading DeeDee's post.  I'm wondering if there's some other fiber you can give her that would be gentler and easier for her to tolerate.

Edit:  Totally weird thought, but I'm tossing it out there anyway.  I have to say, my brain turned to oatmeal early yesterday and hasn't solidified yet, so this may be bogus.  That said . . . I'm wondering if grinding up a small carrot, very fine, and adding (some of) that to Mazy's food would be a good fiber replacement for the Vet's Best.  I know you said pumpkin's not an option, and psyllium absorbs water.

I don't know if she'd eat it.  Even if she did, I don't know if she would tolerate it or if it would work.  It was just something that popped in my head as a possible option for fiber.   :-\

I did a super-quick search for other fiber options and found this on chia seeds.  Others would have to do more research, but I wanted to at least share (this is a pro-chia site, so it's not objective):

http://www.chiaseedspot.com/chia-seeds-for-cats-a-win-win/

Chia seed is a type of herb that grows annually. It grows up to approximately three feet long and has tiny leaves with white and purple flowers.

It is usually converted in gel-form which is used to cure digestive problems or upset stomachs among cats. Chia works simply to treat your cat’s stomach anxiety.

Due to its gel-like property, chia seed can hold liquid twelve times its size and act as coating to the intestines and lining of the stomach to ease discomfort in cats.

Desirable taste – It is not difficult to feed chia seeds to your cat because of its neutral taste. It doesn’t affect flavors or typical taste of a cat food. In other words, feeding your cat with chia seeds will not produce an undesirable taste. 

One thing that concerns me is that it holds liquid.  That's one reason why I'd be more interested in superfine chopped carrots.  I don't think it would hold nearly as much water, if any.  They're mostly water themselves, and fiber.

Ok, "brain fart" over.   :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 09:02:41 PM by Pookie »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2016, 05:12:10 AM »
Thanks you guys.  I'm going to go back to plain Slippery Elm Bark, and marshmallow .  Those are the two active ingredients in the Vets-Best, aside from the psyllium, anyway.  She gets psyllium in the Rad Cat and I'll see how she does without it.

I have the marshmallow already but will have to order the SEB, it's been a long time since I used it.  Last night at bed time instead of the Vet's-Best I gave her a tiny pinch of marshmallow.

Pookie I really don't want to introduce anything drastically new to her at this stage. I think they are lying about the cellulose always being in the V-B, or perhaps it's the type used that's changed, maybe it used to be plant based and they went to the cheaper pine roots.  Makes me gag thinking about it.

Either way, since the change in formula her puking has been steady at 2-3 days, I think once she went 7.

I am going to let them know too.

Tags: