Author Topic: Edit: Lucy and her dental cleaning...  (Read 10408 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Edit: Lucy and her dental cleaning...
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 04:10:30 PM »
Just goes to show how much better she feels with those resportive lesion teeth gone!

bananamiddlechild

I was afraid it was a bad thing, so soon after surgery!  I was feeling terrible. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 06:44:49 PM »
I would think you can trust her 'judgement' on whether she can eat something or not.  Did she show any signs of pain after eating that gizzard?  Were you able to watch her eat it?  Wondering if she swallowed it whole. Did she keep it down?

She had four extractions, right?  Were they all on the same side of her mouth?  Dissolving stitches?

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 08:25:17 PM »
I'm sure she will be fine.   HeadButt
Belle has had so many resorptive teeth pulled, she has hardly any teeth left in her mouth.  Still, she surprises me sometimes with the pieces she will pick up and work on.
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 11:35:19 PM »
Lucy ripped it to shreds!  She ate it a little slower than the others, but she ate it all.  She kept it down.
The reason I felt badly was because, I was thinking I wouldn't want to be eating chunks of anything... right after dental surgery!  lol
She had 4 extractions... one from each side...top and bottom.  Back teeth.  She also was already missing one.  Not too many left, other than the tiny ones up front. 
FMM, that is good to know that a cat, with limited amount of teeth, can still eat raw.  I'm guessing they use their front teeth, more than I realized? 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2014, 01:00:23 PM »
I JUST took a closer look at Lucy's lab results. 
Bilirubin - Unconjugated is flagged as being high.  0.2. 
The reference range is...  0.0 to 0.1   
From what I have read Googling... liver.  Is that something to ignore?  I don't want to be looking for trouble, but I don't want to be blowing off something important.  Even if my vet is.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 01:02:06 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2014, 04:26:42 PM »
I'd for sure be asking, "So, when is high Bilirubin considered a problem? Should we be doing something now to help it from getting worse?"
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2014, 07:44:05 PM »
What makes me crazy is ... test results aren't mentioned (other than good to go or not good to go), unless something life threatening (at the moment) is going on.  If I hadn't asked for a copy of the results, I would still be clueless. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2014, 07:34:31 AM »
That is annoying.  Vets are just so used to people not questioning anything I guess.  I have a friend with a cat in kidney failure and I've told her countless times to ask for copies of the blood work and to ask what this or that means, but she never does. She asks me instead.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »
I think a lot, of what he says and does, is due to his location/clients.  Trying to think of how to explain... 

The majority of his clients, just want the basics of pet care.  That is all they can, or are willing to afford.

For many years his hands were tied, because he didn't own the practice.  Only so much he COULD say or recommend.  He also tends to lean towards conservative.  Costly tests may give answers, but.. in the end, if the result will be the same, he doesn't suggest the tests.  Or if x amount will save the pet, but it will only live for a short time. 

For Lucy being 10 years old and being fed kibble, for so many previous years... "good for her age" is an understandable explanation...from his point of view.  It would be an acceptable explanation to 99.9% of his clients.  For me... 10 years old is NOT the end of the road.  In a non-kibble feeding world, 10 years old is still youngish. 

I can TOTALLY understand your friend asking you.  When a vet does tell me something... you are the first person that comes to my mind, to ask for a better explanation!!!  You "know" me and my pets.  You know where my head is at...

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2014, 05:01:02 PM »
Thank you for the nice words!  And I agree with what you said about the vet.

Tags: