Author Topic: BEWARE Rimadyl!! Lawsuit Filed Against Pfizer  (Read 7158 times)

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
BEWARE Rimadyl!! Lawsuit Filed Against Pfizer
« on: August 26, 2011, 04:11:55 PM »
Rimadyl is an anti inflammatory, NSAID I guess is the correct term, I have no knowledge of it. But apparently it has many side effects, which the pet owners were not told about, and their dog died, a golden lab, and apparently, Labs have genetic issues, which makes them more prone to issues.  

Every pet parent, needs to ASK, what are the side effects, of any drug, prescribed, and if you have a breed or breed type cat or dog, you need to be aware of what their genetic issues are.  

This is from Truth About Pet Foods, got it in an email today, here is the article, which earns Bump a bathy, on Catsfur, mol, I will put the comments in another post, apparently, I exceded the max allowed charcaters.    thumbsup1 Bumpurr1 TexasFlag survivorgif iwin bumpgif

Westword.com is reporting that pet owners Christopher Cooper and Shelley Smith have filed suit against drug manufacturer giant Pfizer.  The couple blame Rimadyl for the death of their six year old Golden Retriever Sophie.  

The Westword.com story states that after knee surgery on June 5th, Sophie was prescribed several medications including Rimadyl.  "Side effects were uncommon, the pair (owners) say they were told."  However just over a week later, Sophie began vomiting and stopped eating.  The owners were directed to end all medications.  But Sophie remained ill and tests "reportedly showed signs of Rimadyl toxicity".  

These pet parents went on a roller coaster ride of hospitalization, then home, signs of liver failure and finally took her to Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital trying to save Sophie's life.  More back and forth treatment but the story doesn't end well.  Sophie died on July 26th.  

"According to attorney Edwards, Rimadyl was the subject of a class-action lawsuit in 1999, and ultimately, Pfizer, its manufacturer, was ordered to put out a series of warnings that Cooper and Smith say weren't passed along to them. Shortly after Sophie's death, they explored the possibility of a similar suit, and Edwards says she heard plenty of horror stories during that process. "We had almost 250 cases of people sending us information, vet records, filling out our questionnaires," she notes. "Clearly, the figures Pfizer is giving out about its safety" -- the company says it has been used on ten million dogs and is generally safe when precautions are followed -- "don't add up with the amount of notification we're getting."

I asked TruthaboutPetFood.com friend Dr. Cathy Alinovi to provide more information on Rimadyl and the potential risks involved.  Here's what she shares...

"In an article published in the American Journal of Medicine on July 27, 1998, the authors stated that each year 107,000 humans are hospitalized for NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) related GI (gastrointestinal) disorders, and up to 16,500 deaths occur from these intestinal complications in human arthritis patients.  So, it’s documented in human medicine that these medications are dangerous.  Yet, NSAIDs are the most commonly purchased over-the-counter medication in the US.  

Now, let’s take that to our pet patients.  It’s about the same thing.  Every time a veterinarian prescribes any NSAID, that dog is at risk of intestinal, kidney and even liver side effects.  And Labradors are worse!  (Why? Genetics.)  This is why, most vets will recommend periodic bloodwork to “be sure” there aren’t complications.  However, this isn’t fool proof.  Cats are even more at risk – their liver just can’t detoxify the medications.

In this poor family’s case, the blood work didn’t save their dog.  And it’s a terrible tragedy.  For this same reason, Celebrex was pulled off the human market.  Lives were lost.  One thing I caution all my pet owners about any medication: any body can be allergic to any thing.  We have to be diligent.  Sometimes less is more.  Medication can be a blessing but sometimes it isn’t."

Dr. Cathy also shares (on what we can do as an alternative)...

"I suggest some pain reduction strategies for patients.  As usual, nutrition is the number one key to reducing inflammation in any body.  This is why I harp on food – it’s the biggest thing we do to our pets.  If their diet is inflammatory, medication isn’t going to counter the food.  

Other nutritional aids are essential fatty acids, enzymes, and optimal levels of vitamin D.

Homeopathic remedies arnica and hypericum can sometimes help.  And some herbal formulas can help decrease inflammation – whole herbs like skull cap and many herbal blends – ask your holistic veterinarian.

Movement is anti-inflammatory.  Crazy as it sounds, muscle movement inhibits pain directly at the spinal cord level – the information doesn’t even have to go to the brain to reduce pain.  So, let’s go for a walk with our dog.  Even better, take your dog or cat to a qualified chiropractor so he or she can move better, and inhibit more pain.

There are many ways to decrease pain in any species.  It’s time our society breaks the pharmaceutical habit and let’s try the basics, exercise and nutrition; then we might need to treat less."

Couldn't agree more Dr. Cathy!

Thank you to Sophie's brave parents; taking on Pfizer will be no easy task.  

On a similar note, below is some information from Alliance for Natural Health (ANH) regarding doggie Prozac...

"A humane society director warns that dogs addicted to Prozac become unadoptable.  Shirley Moore, director of Save a Dog of Sudbury, Massachusetts, writes:

I’m not surprised that the pet-loving population is not warned about Prozac. I just took a call from a woman last week whose dog was biting the kids and of course, the dog was on Prozac and she was told nothing about the side effects. She wanted to turn the dog over to the humane society, but I had to tell her that we can’t take dogs who are on Prozac because you can’t get them off of it. It’s designed to keep you coming back for more, just like all the other pharmaceuticals foisted on the pet owners."

Once again, I asked friend Dr. Cathy Alinovi for her feedback on the Prozac concern.  She shares...

"I had several thoughts when I read the article
1.  You can get them off the Prozac, carefully
2.  The more important questions are why are the dogs on Prozac in the first place, and
3.  Why are these dogs now being relinquished to a shelter?

Pet ownership is a huge responsibility.  In my world, it’s for life.  So, part of commitment is figuring out why the dog is misbehaving so badly.  If the dog needs 1. Prozac and 2. to be turned in to a shelter, then something is missing from the pet parent’s side.

I work very closely with a fantastic trainer.  This man specializes in the “tough” breeds but is sensitive to what is going on with the dog.  In some cases, the dog needs a pack leader (top dog in my house).  In some cases, the dog is in pain, therefore biting at whoever makes him or her move in such a way as to feel the pain.  These patients need chiropractic.  My friend the dog trainer refers patients to me, and I refer patients to him.  

And, I’ve had some patients’ personalities change dramatically, and for the better by fixing (you guessed it) the food.  

So, this article should make the responsible pet owner realize the “way out” is not drugs (that might not work) or dumping the dog on a shelter, but in finding a solution to the problem in a healthy way."

Be cautious and ask the tough questions with regards to medications for your pet.  In a quick search, I found the website Drugs.com provides some great information on a full list of veterinary drugs.  Search by species, then by the name of the drug.  As well, you can go to the drug manufacturer website and read the list of side effects for each medication.

Part two: Below

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 06:15:50 PM by Bogie, Reason: moved; merged »

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
Rimadyl Comments
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 04:13:11 PM »
Read the first post about this first, then read the comments, mol.  :-*

Comments (11)
Hannie
Said this on 8-26-2011 at 10:18 am
I have a Lab & I can remember yrs ago somebody (not sure if it was a vet or just somebody in the know) told me not to give my dog Rimadyl.  Something about Labs having very bad reactions to it.
Sorry these owners didn't get the same info that I got.
Vets should be aware of this & should give people options.
The internet has a wealth of information.........before you give your dog (or cat) any med for the first time, might be worth the few minutes it takes to do a little research.

Reply to this Comment
Bonnie
Said this on 8-26-2011 at 10:23 am
I have friends that have had a suit in court over this drug for more than 10 years.  They lost a prize imported Rottie from Belgium..still no settlements..just round and round.
Pharma has very deep pockets
Reply to this Comment
Stacy
Said this on 8-26-2011 at 10:34 am
Celebrex is the only Rx NSAID (last I was aware) that is still on the market for human use.  It was the only one not pulled from the market several years ago.  (I know because I'm on it.)

I believe Rimadyl started out in human trials and was pulled due to the problems.  Every time my dogs get a dental (or have another procedure) I have to check the take home bag and send the Rimadyl back (despite telling the techs at each drop off for surger "NO Rimadyl").  It's frustrating.
Reply to this Comment
Debbie
Said this on 8-26-2011 at 11:04 amin reply to #3
Every pet owner must ask the vets what the side effects could be ALONG with looking it up on the internet. I was given Rymadyl, my dog had such a problem walking. They dont have much in the way of safe painkillers. So I needed something, I gave my dog half of what the vet prescribed along with SAM-e which is very good for the liver. Also Lipo-Form, this is another good thing to give to help the liver. Anyways, I had Grizzys blood checked sooner then I was told to and his liver enzimes were up. They werent up before so I stopped it. I would never ever use Rymadyl again and praise anyone who steps foward and confronts Phizers. There is another painkiller to look out for also. Below is a link from USA Today about Rymadyl and Deramaxx. Spread that link to all your friends so they will know.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/health/dr...
Reply to this Comment
Stephen
Said this on 8-26-2011 at 01:47 pmin reply to #3
Celebrex and most human Rx NSAIDs stayed on the market, however they were required to have more detailed safety inserts and  new packaging . Vioxx is one of a few Rx NSAIDs that were removed.

Rimadyl was removed from the market for use in humans once less expensive options were developed.  This drug was used in humans for almost 10 years, starting in 1988 until it was voluntarily pulled from the market by Pfizer when Advil began successfully competing. The current version of Rimadyl is prohibited for use by humans.
I thought the info about Prozac to be narrow and much too simplistic. Years ago I treated two female dogs (mom and daughter) with prozac, and successfully ended the severe dominance aggression displayed between them. It took 6 months of drug treatment and behavior modification.  Easily "weaned" them off the prozac in just a few weeks. Prozac saved one of the dogs from being rehomed or euthanized.
Reply to this Comment
Joni Lowther
Said this on 8-26-2011 at 10:55 am
I support Dr. Cathy's recommendation of using homeopathic options for pain relief. Let me tell you my experience. A year ago, my 13 year old sheltie was prescribed Rimadyl for his arthritic hip.  The risks were completely explained to me. Consequently I began a search for an alternative.  At the recommendation of a wise friend of mine,  I began giving Kipp two homeopathic medications, Zeel and Traumeel, from Heel Pharmaceuticals.  These are not veterinary medications.  They are manufactured for human use but can be used for our pets. I got them on line and they were very inexpensive. These meds target pain and inflammation using age old, time tested remedies; arnica, belladonna, echinacea, amongst other herbs.  Admittedly, I was very skeptical that these meds could make a difference but within a week, I was amazed to see Kipp was no longer limping and soon we were taking our afternoon walks again, just like before.  Kipp actually feels so good that he will overextend which will cause his limp to return so I have to watch that he doesn't get to rambunctious.  A few months ago, I was talking to my brother who was concerned about his 9 year old lab's spinal arthritis and associated pain.  I told Steve that he should try Zeel and Traumeel, that they made a huge difference in my sheltie's life.  He tried them and called me a week later, excited. He couldn't believe the difference these meds made for Beau who was now getting up without whining and was actually thundering about again with his other two labs.  When Steve and his wife went on a week vacation, they forgot to tell the dogsitter to give Beau these meds and when they got back, they found Beau was in pain again.  They put him back on these meds and within four days, Beau was back to being pain free.  I'm sure these meds won't be effective for everyone but I did check with my vet before I gave them to Kipp and he said that they were definitely worth trying.  I'm so glad I did.  They have been life changing for my special little guy and for my brother's Beau.
Reply to this Comment
Two Poodles
Said this on 8-26-2011 at 10:59 am
10 yrs ago my 14lb Poodle was prescribed Rimadyl just for some leg soreness.  Not even a traumatic issue.  Prescribed through Banfield by the the way.  A knowledgeable dog person reminded me even a couple of pills could be toxic.  I confirmed it through the Internet.  He had taken only 1 pill thankfully, and threw away the bottle.
Two more things:  One, I can't understand why dog medication isn't accompanied by all the sheets of risks and side effects that comes with human medication.  In many cases it's still based on the same chemistry.
And two, a hazzard like this being around for the last 10 years should be a good indicator that what we know isn't good for our pets today (as in pet food ingredients) will be that much worse 10 years from now if not rectified.  The "bad" just never goes away all by itself!
Thank you for this reminder about Rimadyl!
Reply to this Comment
Tracey
Said this on 8-26-2011 at 02:12 pm
Rimadyl is dangerours. I lost my beloved Black Labrador Smokey on July 6, 2009. My vet presrcibed my Smokey the Rimadyl for a pulled muscle and it killed him within 3 weeks. Smokey had blood in his urine, he could no longer walk, and his organs were shutting down, but at least he would eat and drink, up until the last day of his life.
I miss Smokey will all my heart, and I blame Pfizer for his death. This toxic drug should be taken off the market. I don't care what Pfizer says, this drug kills animals. My Smokey suffered horribly, and before he died, I tried to take him to UC Davis to see if they could save him, but it was too late. Please do not give your animal Rimadyl, I don't care what anyone says, it kills!

Reply to this Comment
Eden Halbert
Said this on 8-26-2011 at 02:40 pm
I am no fan of pharmaceutical companies and their practices, and I'm in favor of requiring more testing and disclosure, but I'd like to present a different point of view than others here regarding rimadyl.
There is no question that the drug has the potential to be dangerous, but it also has the potential to be incredibly effective and life-changing.  My 80-lb dog Luna has bone spurs that rub on her tendons, early/mild hip dysplasia, and arthritis.  This was all diagnosed (via x-ray and physical exams after she showed symptoms of chronic pain) several years ago, and she is now 8.  I had a long consultation with my vet, whom I trust and respect, did some research, and decided to start her on rimadyl, with some trepidation.  I watched her like a hawk, did initial bloodwork, then a couple weeks later, then every 6 months, and her bloodwork has been perfect.  I didn't realize just how much discomfort/pain Luna had been in until I saw the results of the removal of that pain.  It was like it shaved several years off her life.  
I give Luna massive amounts of fish oil, plus some glucosamine/condroitin; I feed her excellent foods, get her regular exercise and keep her weight low.  I am also considering acupuncture.  But I believe that pharmaceuticals are valid tools to consider, as long as you understand and weigh the risks.  
People seem to think that homeopathic, supplements, or "all natural" is automatically good.  Well, those carry risks as well -- after all, aren't cyanide and arsenic "all natural?"  And those industries are completely unregulated, and make billions.  I apply my skeptical point of view to pharmaceuticals AND to those industries.
I'm sorry for people that have had adverse reactions to rimadyl, and I hope that their lawsuits make sure that disclosure of risks is done more consistently and effectively.  But I do not agree that any time a medication causes a death (human or animal), we automatically need to pull it.   Everything is about intelligently weighing risks versus benefits, and my dog has quality of life because of this drug.
Respectfully,
Eden
Reply to this Comment
Mollie Morrissette
Said this on 8-26-2011 at 03:55 pm
Pfizer's Rimadyl website has a warning notice at the bottom of the homepage in small type, it reads:
Signs of RIMADYL intolerance may include appetite loss, vomiting and diarrhea, which could indicate side effects involving the digestive tract, liver or kidneys. Some of these side effects may occur without warning and, in rare situations may be serious, resulting in hospitalization or even death. If these signs occur, discontinue RIMADYL therapy and consult your veterinarian.
...But by that time it may be too late. What i found "odd" was that there was no adverse event reported in the patient insert, so how would they know it could cause sudden death, unless the adverse event occured after the trials.
All drugs come with what's called a patient insert. If the pharmacist or vet didn't give it to you, ask for it or look it up online.
I warn you though, after reading the patient inserts of your own meds, it has been known to cause a sudden and irresistible urge to flush them all down the toilet!
Patient inserts are written in itty-bitty-teeny-tiny type folded up in a little itty-bitty square, printed on very thin paper in order to shove all that information into a teeny-tiny box. So, break out the specs and have a medical dictionary handy (there are a bunch online).
If you have your magnifying glass handy, you can read the patient insert sheet for Rimadyl online.
It's worth checking out a site called the Senior Dogs Project. They have a consumer education campaign called B.A.R.K.S. BARKS is the acronym for Be Aware of Rymadyl's Known Side-effects. It is packed with good info on Rimadyl.
And they recommend Dr. Cathy Alinovi's philosophy of pet nutrition, which will send you to a link to an article she wrote on TAPF!
I was impressed with the quality of information available on the Senior Dogs Project, especially their section on Health Care for Older Dogs. Oh, and they don't sell anything, which is always a good sign.
Also, pet parents might want to know that this January, Putney Vet started marketing a generic equivalent of Rymadyl called Caprofen Caplets to vets.
Reply to this Comment
Michelle
Said this on 8-26-2011 at 03:58 pm
All drugs, human and animal, have potential side effects.  Nothing is 100% safe.  We all need to take precautions with what we give to our animals and to ourselves.  That being said, I adopted 12 yr old Golden Retriever 18 months ago and we have tried everything - from nutrition to homeopathy to laser treatment to massage to glucosamine/fish oil/vitamen D.  Nothing worked for him.  He was beginning to not even be able to stand up.  I asked my vet for an Rx for Rimadyl and/or it's generics.  We've been using vetprofen (sp?) for about a month now and it's made all the difference in the world.  Kobie now plays with his sister, they tear through the house and outside.  He plays with his toys.  I will have him tested every two months for liver, kidney issues, but I can't deny him an enjoyment of life by withholding these pills from him.  And just because something is "natural" or homeopathic, it isn't necessarily safe either.I'm so sorry about what has happened to some dogs while on this medication.  My Rx DID come with a several page list of potential side effects and my vet also educated me.  You have to educate yourself on EVERYTHING you give your animals, including natural remedies and then make the best informed decision you can.

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: BEWARE Rimadyl!! Lawsuit Filed Against Pfizer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 11:17:57 PM »
Here's another lesson I learned the hard way.  

There was a BIG stink with this drug over 10 years ago (including lawsuits., google rimadyl lawsuits for TONS)  http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/rimadyl.deaths.html

Moratorium on Posting of New Rimadyl Reports

In April 2000, the Senior Dogs Project ceased accepting reports of experiences with Rimadyl. With the appearance of the March 13, 2000, Wall Street Journal article, Pfizer's distribution of a new consumer (owner) information sheet, and additional widespread information campaigns, it seemed our goal of informing consumers by presenting experiential reports had been reached.

We again thank everyone who has contributed a report to srdogs. Each of you has helped further the cause of making information about Rimadyl more widely available. In some instances, we have received messages from people who say their dogs' lives were saved by information on the srdogs website. You who have contributed your reports surely have their special gratitude.

Exceptions to the Moratorium on Posting New Reports -- A note from the editors.......We felt the following reports should not go unnoticed:

Death #107: Yellow Lab Reacts after 10 Days on Rimadyl; Is Euthanized

From an E-mail received December 7, 2001:

"I have hesitated writing this, as I learned you were no longer gathering information on ADE's associated with Rimadyl. However, after reading the two latest cases in your December newsletter, I feel compelled to tell you about our experience...

When I wanted to ask the "veterinarian" questions about the drugs our dogs were prescribed (eating first good, not good?  How long after eating...?), we were told we would be charged for a consultation for the "veterinarian' to come back out to talk with us again.

Had NO idea of any possible side-effects of this drug. They only prescribed OTHER drugs for our dog's sudden seizures, never ONCE mentioning this drug, and this was in 2006!! Spent over an hour on the phone with a Pfizer person telling them what our dog went through because there was NO warning, or anything, and the vet wouldn't consider the drug a possibility for the sudden seizures.

I found this info by accident, via the Sr Dogs website in 2007, looking for info about arthritis for our surviving dog!!

Tags: