Author Topic: 4th Of July  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
4th Of July
« on: July 02, 2017, 12:24:34 AM »
The fireworks have started tonight.   pullingouthair
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: 4th Of July
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 08:26:54 AM »
Here, too, last night.  Terrible.  My state made fireworks on domestic property legal a few years ago.  Up until this year it hasn't been too bad.  But there must be a new family up behind me, over the ridge.  They've shown themselves to be obnoxious before this, with a very loud truck, that when he comes down the hill, and gets onto the main road he does a lot of roaring and braking and leaves tire marks all over the road.  They also have a dog that barks for hours..it's faint, but I can hear it.

Now this.  I've never seen my cats react to fireworks before. We can hear them from the baseball camp 5 miles away every Thursday night all summer, and from the City park 3 miles away on the 4th and other community events. But this was practically in my back yard and they had very loud booming ones.  I gave all the girls Rescue Remedy, even though I'm not sure it does much for Queen Eva and Jennie.  It did help Mazy cat.  Of course I also shut up the house and put the AC on, but they could still hear the booms.  It went on until midnight.

I hope they used them all up. People suck.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 10:27:34 AM »
You're living through my last 5 years now, MC. We've had them going on all week though. A lot of people have been angry in the local FB board b/c they have to get up 4-5 a.m. to go to work. They haven't been able to sleep with it all going on 10-11 p.m.

I didn't bump Vlad last night, but I'm going to start bumping him a little at supper every night from now on because I woke up with him burping his head off. That starts before the vomiting starts.

I'm going to start the K10+ and pheromone spray tonight too.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 10:27:23 PM »
Sending hugs and good vibes to all of you and your furkids . . .

Hug1 grouphug GoodVibes  Hug1 grouphug GoodVibes  Hug1 grouphug GoodVibes  Hug1 grouphug GoodVibes  Hug1 grouphug GoodVibes
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Fireworks SUCK!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 09:44:11 PM »
Fireworks Suck For Pets! Happy 4th of July from Red and Howling

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 10:21:51 PM »
50% chance of rain tomorrow.  fingerscrossed that it becomes 100% all night.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 10:28:03 PM »

fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 10:28:56 PM »

They don't have rain dates?   :-\

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 11:25:24 PM »
They don't have rain dates?   :-\

I wouldn't think so.  The 4th is a national holiday.  You can't rain date a national holiday.   Silly7

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 11:28:32 PM »
We're talking about neighbors here that are the crazy people. It's really easy to stay away from the city-sponsored shows. But we've got all the crazies out here.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 12:23:00 AM »
We're talking about neighbors here that are the crazy people. It's really easy to stay away from the city-sponsored shows. But we've got all the crazies out here.

Same here. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 11:07:41 AM »
 bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead

Ran out of K10+ last night. Went to Petco and they're no longer freaking carrying it.

Let's hope that a combination of tryptophan and melatonin works along with the herbal drops:

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/dog/richards-organics-pet-calm

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/dog/naturvet-quiet-moments-calming-aid-dog-soft-chews#

I guess that will teach me for not planning better, huh?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 11:27:42 AM »
Oh that really sucks Dee.  The Rescue Remedy has helped Mazy cat quite a bit, last night was a nightmare.  As awful as those people have been since Friday I imagine they've been saving the "best" for tonight. I can't imagine what it must be like for their dog.  The one they leave out to bark for hours.

Queen Eva seemed to get a bit jumpier after the RR so I don't think I will give it to her again. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 12:29:30 PM »
I wouldn't think so.  The 4th is a national holiday.  You can't rain date a national holiday.   Silly7

I think you were teasing, but fwiw, the town next to me is scheduled for tonight, but the rain date is July 9th for the fireworks.

Sorry, I misunderstood.  I thought you were talking about the city-sponsored shows.   :-[

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 11:57:24 PM »
Hope the dogs are doing okay, DeeDee!

BTW, the Benadryl worked for Lacy.  We did a test run the other day.  I was worried about a possible reaction, and wanted to be able to run her to the vet if necessary. 
Anyway, she is cool as a cucumber.  It may also be helping her and the cats that I have a noisy room air conditioner running and Fixer Upper is on the TV.... on BLAST. 
The cats will think things have quieted down... will leave the room... hear the fire works... come running back in.  Once they are back in the room, they calm down. 

Tags: