Author Topic: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)  (Read 40644 times)

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
Re: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2018, 09:07:51 AM »
Your patient has good and not so good days. You are there for her and she knows. Savor the good ones and be strong for the others.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2018, 10:16:38 AM »
No idea on the texture change of the poop, but I'm wondering if she's sometimes feeling constipated, which is throwing off her appetite, and once she poops enough she feels better and gets her appetite back.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2018, 10:23:43 AM »
No idea on the texture change of the poop, but I'm wondering if she's sometimes feeling constipated, which is throwing off her appetite, and once she poops enough she feels better and gets her appetite back.

That's what I was thinking too Pookie, thanks. (also thanks threestep)

In her notes from the internal medicine appointment it does mention that she would eventually need a stool softener.  At the time reading that I didn't believe it because her poop was already soft.  but now I see what they mean.

The CBD may help with that as well.  If she needs more help, I'll call the vet for some lactulose though I really dread having to use it. It's horrible stuff.  Cats hate it, it's sticky and gets everywhere. So lets hope the CBD oil helps with the stool too.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2018, 11:29:54 AM »
More notes.  A few minutes ago (about 12:00 noon) Jennie got up from her morning nap and was crouching on the floor looking unhappy.  She did respond to petting physically and vocally and seemed to want to be up on the perch, I am sure she can still get up there on her own but I picked her up and put her up there anyway and we had a little rapture together.

She allowed me to palpate/massage her tummy but did not like the area at the root of her tail, on her back, touched.

I stepped away to do something else and she came back down on her own and played with her banana for only a minute, then headed down to the litter boxes.  I followed and watched her.

The usual, she stands in position for a few long minutes before starting to push. She does seem to strain a bit before producing the stool, but she's always been so private about pooping up until she got ill I really don't know if that's normal for her or new.

The poop was dark, formed, what would be considered a normal size for a raw fed cat who was pooping once every 2 days or so (to clarify Jennie is canned fed. I am only using that example for description purposes).

It was soft when I pressed on it..and here's something strange.  When first putting pressure on it it .."popped" a little.  So it had gas pockets in it.  Her x ray back in September did show gas bubbles in her poop but this is the first time I have heard that little pop sound.

Not much blood. Only a trace.

She is now looking much more comfortable.  When she was crouching half an hour a go I was even thinking of giving her the gabapentin early. The problem with that is, I can't keep up a schedule like that with lesser time in between, because of course I have to work. If I give it to her every 6, or even 7 hours, there will be times she has to go even longer between, it won't work.

All hopes pinned on the CBD now. It should be here Wednesday. But it takes time to find the right dose, starting really slowly. One drop a day to start.

I COULD ask the vet about getting some buprenex for when I think she is really uncomfortable between gab doses. Hmmmmmm

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2018, 03:12:21 PM »
Look who's feeling better!  Had a sniff outside for a minute, and later got herself up onto the perch for a nice tuck.

Just now she had her little bit of Play. I'd love to get some video of that but I don't want to interfere.  Still trying to think of a way to do it without bothering her.

(she also ate all her lunch and had another one of those poops as described above) I am releived she is back to her nomral pattern. I think you are right about the constipation Pookie.)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2018, 07:48:00 PM »
Look who's feeling better!  Had a sniff outside for a minute, and later got herself up onto the perch for a nice tuck.

I'm glad she's feeling better!   :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2018, 07:53:45 PM »
I'm glad she's feeling better!   :)

It didn't last. :(  I had to hand feed Jennie her supper and she only ate half of it.  I asked in the IBD group if this was a sign of nausea and was told yes.

I'll call vet tomorrow to ask about anti-nausea meds. They recommend ondansetron (Zofran). The CBD might help with that as well but I have to start with such a small amount it will take time to help her I think.

EDIT after further discussion it has been decided that cerenia would be a better choice for Jennie. Cerenia has anti-inflammatory and pain relief properties as well as anti-nausea.  And ondansetron can cause constipation.

Jennie only ate a very small amount (hand fed) at bed time. And I need to join them!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #142 on: December 03, 2018, 05:39:27 AM »
I had a very poor night fretting about Jennie.  Not that I sleep in the best of times but I worried and worried and worried.  This morning I sent a detailed e mail to the vet (they don't have their own e mail addresses.  I have to send it to a general mail box and ask that it be forwarded to the vet. Very annoying)

I asked for Cerenia (anti nausea) Cyproheptadine (appetite stimulant) and buprenex.

I forgot to mention here that the other night (and last night) or rather very early in the mornings Jennie has vomited up some liquid either before or after her early morning (always largest of the day) bowel movement.  The liquid is clear, not yellow, and the other time it appeared foamy, this time not foamy.

I reiterated to vet that I am not concerned with longevity, only Jennie's comfort.

Jennie ate only a very tiny amount, hand fed, this morning after her gabapentin.  She still acts hungry but won't eat. That also is a sign of nausea. I'm about to offer her some poached breast in broth.....

6:45 EDIT JENNIE ATE THE POACHED CHICKEN BREAST AND BROTH, ALL ON HER OWN.

7:20 EDIT The chicken seems to have settled her stomach and she has just eaten half an ounce of canned food on her own, with a little pork pancreas sprinkled on top for flavor enhancement.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #143 on: December 03, 2018, 11:55:23 AM »
GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes  Hug1 Hug1 Hug1

I was going to ask if Jennie can take slippery elm bark for the constipation, but it looks like you've already got a plan in place so never mind.  :)  I'm glad she ate the poached chicken and some canned afterwards!

HangInThere

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #144 on: December 03, 2018, 06:25:31 PM »
Thanks Pookie, but Jennie can't have SEB.  It makes her poop awful an sticky and she can't get it out and it gets stuck all over her and of course all over the house.

I have read that the CBD can help cats with constipation.  And there is always the lactulose (ugh)

Lots to update but can't do it now.  I've got the drugs and Jennie has had her buprenex, Cerenia, piroxicam and fluids all one after another.  However after all that, she had some more poached chicken and broth which she did have trouble finishing but 2 hours after the Cerenia she ate a whole 0.8 oz serving of canned all by herself.

She wanted to eat on the bed in the bedroom and the rule is these days, Jennie eats where she wants. Queen Eva has been such a pest to her since she started getting poorly again though that I finally just shut the screen door. Jennie didn't mind a bit, she was happy to have the peace. If I hadn't trusted my own judgment about how Jennie was feeling, I could go by Queen Eva. For the month that Jennie was doing so much better, Queen Eva stopped bugging her so much, but the last 3 days she has made a major pest of herself. I will give Jennie her other half of supper later.

You guys I SWEAR Jennie looked so proud of herself when I opened the screen and saw her sitting over her cleaned dish.  Not a speck left and she nodded at the dish and looked at me all bright eyes, clearly she was saying Look I did it! Aren't you proud?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2018, 08:04:50 PM »
Thanks Pookie, but Jennie can't have SEB.  It makes her poop awful an sticky and she can't get it out and it gets stuck all over her and of course all over the house.

I know one of them had issues with SEB, I just couldn't remember if it was Jennie or Mazy, so thanks for clarifying.

You guys I SWEAR Jennie looked so proud of herself when I opened the screen and saw her sitting over her cleaned dish.  Not a speck left and she nodded at the dish and looked at me all bright eyes, clearly she was saying Look I did it! Aren't you proud?

AWWWW!!!!!   multistars  multistars   multistars

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2018, 09:10:33 PM »
Jennie has had another proud moment and a cleaned dish.  She's not up to her full amount of daily food, but it looks like the Cerenia is doing the job.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #147 on: December 03, 2018, 10:00:02 PM »
 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1

She's not up to her full amount of daily food, but it looks like the Cerenia is doing the job.

At least she's eating again.   fingerscrossed that tomorrow she's back to her full amount.  I'm glad the Cerenia is helping!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2018, 04:39:06 AM »
 Hug1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2018, 05:16:30 AM »
Jennie was eager for breakfast!  Not quite doing a song and dance, but here and asking for it, and ate it at her meal spot.

Vet only gave me a week of meds.  I've just sent her an update on Jennie (she asked me to) and in the e mail I asked if I could get 3 weeks worth next time. I worry about the weather being bad and me not being able to get up there.  The CBD oil should be here today. I paid extra for two day shipping.

Tags: