Author Topic: It just keeps getting better (getting off the c/d saga continued)  (Read 29785 times)

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
Re: It just keeps getting better (getting off the c/d saga continued)
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2012, 06:15:26 PM »
Didn't at all take offense at your post, never thought you meant it that way, like Lola said.  We have this board, so we can have, a conversation, like Lola said, and we can disagree, not like on Catsfur, mol.   funny2

In the horsie world, we always say, what works for one horse, may not work, for another, its the same with kitties.  There is always that one. I have one, Bump. He won't eat wet, he only likes Blue Wilderness, will not eat any other grain free food, and will not eat L-Lysine or vitaminys.  I know, you should not mix water with their dry. But, with Bump, thats the only alternative, most of the time, it works for him, sometimes, it upsets his tummy, no other way to keep him flushed out.  Then factor in, all his HCM issues, mol, so ya, I do understand.

You have to do, what works for your kitty, even if it goes against the grain, per say, mol.

Your information may help someone, who is in a similiar situation, we have this board, so we can share stories and information. 

One thing, I can tell you, for a fact, don't be a goin' to Lola's housey, and expect to eat any TG dinner, mol, not if ya wants to watch the TG games.   :P :-* Bumpurr1 TexasFlag bumpgif football1

Respect The Star

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2012, 09:16:46 PM »

The reason vets put crystal kitties on Hills Science Diet and Royal Canin SO, other than, the vets are making money off it, and people buy it, because the word "perscription" was attached to it, and because its only sold at vets, makes people think, its better than sliced bread, so the marketing people, did their job, is these foodies are high in salt. What does eating something real salty accomplish? Ya drink more water.

That, is the object of the game, but, it can be accomplished in a safer way, without feeding them a food high in salt, and grains, which defeats the purpose, which leads to more issues and more vet visits, which, is more money, for the companies.  

There is no magic formula in those prescription foods, there is no medicine in those foods. Its just a bunch of ingredients, mixed together, ya have to read the ingredients.    They slapped prescription on the label and only sold it at vets, duh.

Its the same GARBAGE food, take that, Catsfur!

Since Prowler been on a grain free food, no more crystals. Cut his wet back to once a day, he got bladder issues, urine was too concentrated, ph too high, put him back on wet twice a day, no more bladder issues.

If I ever won the Mega Ball Lottery, I would buy Hills and Royal Canin, and make them go on public TV and tell the consumers, they been a lie'n to them, all these years.  The marketing people, I would tell those bastards, they gotta eat, the food, they ben a tellin the public for years, is healthy.   >:( pangif

TexasFlag bumpgif

Respect The Star  

clapping1 clapping1 clapping1 clapping1 clapping1 clapping1 clapping1 clapping1 clapping1 clapping1 clapping1 clapping1 clapping1 clapping1 DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2012, 02:57:51 PM »
She does not get water added to her food, because my water is high mineral well water, which makes her pH go high, and struvite start forming.  I don't trust bottled water, so she gets her moisture in her canned food.

I just had an idea:  I wonder if you mixed your water with distilled water, if that would reduce/dilute the minerals in your water enough that you could mix it in her food without any problems.  Maybe 1 part regular to 1 part distilled, and depending on how her ph changes, increase or reduce the amount of regular or distilled water in the mix.   :-\

I have, tentatively, found something that is working for her, and I pray it continues, but I doubt I will ever stop worrying and watching and sticking pH strips under her when she pees.  funny2

So THAT'S how you do it!  I wondered how you were testing with the strips!  I'm amazed she let's you do that while she's peeing. 
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2012, 08:43:49 PM »
I just had an idea:  I wonder if you mixed your water with distilled water, if that would reduce/dilute the minerals in your water enough that you could mix it in her food without any problems.  Maybe 1 part regular to 1 part distilled, and depending on how her ph changes, increase or reduce the amount of regular or distilled water in the mix.   :-\

Thanks Pookie.  I think you have suggested that to me before, along with many other excellent ideas and thoughts. I'm glad you reminded me, because if I do ever feel that she needs more moisture than she is getting with her canned diet, I will try that.  Right now she is peeing 3 to 4 times a day, nice normal sized pees with a pH between 6-6.5 most of the time.

When she was on the c/d she only peed twice a day, and it drove me crazy, because she would hold it so long and I knew that wasn't good for her.

So THAT'S how you do it!  I wondered how you were testing with the strips!  I'm amazed she let's you do that while she's peeing. 

Since her diagnosis she has always been very good about peeing in front of me, and I always thank her for showing me that she is peeing.  It doesn't bother her at all when I hover and slip the strip under her, it takes less than a second.  (she does not like me to hover when she poops though)

One of my other cats doesn't mind me slipping a strip under her either but also doesn't like me watching her poop. Conversely,  Little Cat is a closet pee-er ( mean she won't let me watch her pee, not that she pees in a closet), but does not mind if I watch her poop.

Funny things.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2012, 11:28:46 PM »
I'm just stunned by all that you accomplish!
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2012, 07:27:46 PM »
I'm just stunned by all that you accomplish!

Aw, thanks Lola!   HeadButt   :-* 

Things are going GREAT.  I am so happy!  No pepcid has been needed in 2 weeks.  No mineral oil in 6 days, nice regular poops.  Twice I have found little wet spots with a trace of food, which means she has burped and a little food came up with the burp, but she has obviously learned that she can burp without bringing up the whole meal.

AND, twice in the past week there have been two occasions when she had to go more than 9 hours without food, and she was okay, when she did eat.  Once was 9 hours and 20 minutes, and today was 10 hours exactly, but she did NOT regurgitate after eating her first small 'after-fast' meal.

I do think her body has really almost gone beyond "recovering"  into "recovered". bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild

PS She is still getting the slight variation in diet, with every two out of three days one meal being the Castor&Pollux Chicken and vegetable casserole.  It has oats, spinach and other veggies, but what it DOESN'T have is carrageenan or menadione bisulfates, so I am letting her have it.  It has not changed her urine pH or caused any vomiting or regurgitation. And she LOVES it.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2012, 12:43:35 AM »
 fireworks1 newyear1 multistars tiggerbounce coolgif2 tootgif

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2012, 09:55:20 AM »
Her coat is so nice, lovely and soft and thick, with very little shedding, and with a SHINE to it. It was so dull and coarse and always shedding, on that c/d kibble. Granted, she never was on the canned c/d so I can't make a comparison there.  Canned would have been better than the kibble, but even the canned has pretty horrible ingredients.

and I am seeing WAY more of these:     kittyball  kittybutterfly  HeadButt

I am soooo HAPPY!!!!!

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2012, 02:44:53 PM »
 love1 love1  LOVE reading these updates, MC!!    :-* :-*

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2012, 09:39:33 PM »
The changes from any dry to wet are HUGE.  IMHO

The ones I remember:
No dandruff
No runny eye boogers
LOTS more energy
Coats that I thought looked pretty before...huge change.
No barfing.

I'm really sooooo truly happy for you and your girl! 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2012, 08:08:39 AM »
She's doing the Side-Ways Prance!  Well...it's not much of a prance, more of a..trot.  But when she was a young cat she always did that tail-up-and-crooked-body-arched-side-ways little prance that means Play with me play with me! I figured she outgrew it is all.

But nope, she is feeling so great on her improved diet that she is prancing sideways at me to get me to play with her!

dancingbanana BanWooHoo bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2012, 12:34:41 PM »
 BanWooHoo BanWooHoo BanWooHoo woohoogif happydance1 multistars
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2012, 02:44:19 PM »
She's doing the Side-Ways Prance!  Well...it's not much of a prance, more of a..trot.  But when she was a young cat she always did that tail-up-and-crooked-body-arched-side-ways little prance that means Play with me play with me! I figured she outgrew it is all.

But nope, she is feeling so great on her improved diet that she is prancing sideways at me to get me to play with her!

dancingbanana BanWooHoo bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild

How ADORABLE.   HeadButt The side-ways prance is sooooo funny.  I haven't seen any of ours do that in a long time!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »
 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 DrLisaPiersonWorthy    spring1 CatPurr purplekat happydance1 yaygif tiggerbounce dancingbanana BanWooHoo bananamiddlechild fireworks1 fireworks1

Congratulations!  I'm so happy for you and your kitty!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2012, 07:42:09 PM »
Two regurgitations today. DARN it ALL. No fur in either of them.  I have resorted to the Petromalt.  I told her she is getting no more food tonight.  She will get another big blob of hairball remedy at bed time, and a pepcid in the morning because I know she will have a lot of acid built up from not getting food.  But she's obviously got a honkin big hairball in there, in spite of the pumpkin. Since she can't bring it up, it will have to go out the other way, and the mineral oil alone just does not seem effective against hairballs.

So.....I'll get her straightened out with the hairball remedies, then go back to relying on the pumpkin.