Author Topic: This Is Truly, A Mystery, What The Heck Happened???  (Read 1076 times)

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
This Is Truly, A Mystery, What The Heck Happened???
« on: August 31, 2011, 12:32:06 PM »
Smokey likes to be brushed, she will jump on my lap and ask for it. But, she hates to be combed out, she is LH, so she has to be combed. She also does not like, to be combed, and will bite, which I know that.  So 2 weeks ago, was combing her out, not paying attention, watching TV, and she bite me. I had to go to Urgent Care, finger red, swollen, and very painfull.  Then I had to go to my regular Dr, who cut it open, to drain it, beyond painfull, and they put me on Augmenten.  You don't realize, how much you use your fingers, all in all, a very unpleasant experience.

So now I am paranoid, about getting her mats out, so I started cutting them out, a few days ago, which, she is good about that, and I am extremly careful, not to cut her.  So found what I thought was a mat on her chest, but it was hard, not like soft, like a normal mat. Started to cut it off, a little at a time, very careful not to cut her.  Well, as I was pulling it, and cutting, it must have been a scab or something like that, that I pulled off, and it was all raw and slightly bleeding, about the size of a half dollor.

I have no idea, what you can safely clean off a wound with, or what you can put on it. So called the vet this morn, and they said, bring her in, like right now.

They had to shave it, so they could get a good look at it, said it was a cut, and they had to stitch it up. Gave me Nolvasan to put on it. Its a liquid, you dilute 1 capful, to 20 capfuls of water, so its going to last a long time. So now I know what to use, and have it.  She had to be put on an anitbiotic, which we discussed, she said my options were clavamox or the depo shot, which I think is also known as covad, or something like that.
The shot is a one time thing, it lasts for 2 weeks, the down side is, if she has a reaction, I am screwed, its not like you just stop giving her the pills.  The upside is, she "has" to have it, and she is not, at all, good about pills or liquid.  You have to wrap her in a towel, and even then, you need like 6 linebackers, to hold her down. Sometimes it gets into her, most times, all over me, her and the cubbards.

Being that I didn't want to re-open the cut or stitches, and its on her chest, in the struggle, which I can just see happening, and maybe getting bit again in the process, I went with the Depo shot. Its in her, no struggle, no re-opening the cut or ripping out the stitches, and not getting bite.  If it wasn't an injury, I would have struggled with the pills.

I warned them, she might try and bite.  They said she was very well behaved for the whole thing.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out, how it happened, or what she might have got into. I "know" I didn't cut her, it was already there.  I think the vet thinks I did, but I know, I didn't.  She doesn't go outside, and the kittens didn't do it, she doesn't let them near her, she smackes them on their little heads and walks away.

So I am home with her the rest of the day, to keep an eye on her. She is acting her normal self, and was acting her normal self before.  Any thoughts on what might have happened?   :-\

:-* thumbsup1 Bumpurr1 TexasFlag bumpgif

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: This Is Truly, A Mystery, What The Heck Happened???
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »
Awww, sorry about Smokey...and your bite.  :(
You probably will NEVER figure out what happened.  Cats have access to soooooo much.  The tiniest of thing may have been sharp enough to cause the problem.  Tons of possibilities that the naked eye will never see as a potential danger.

One of my sisters had something similar happen to one of her dogs.  Her and her hubby scoured the inside of their house and the yard for weeks.  Never did find any potential dangers. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: