Author Topic: Has anyone used these gloves?  (Read 5936 times)

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
Has anyone used these gloves?
« on: January 20, 2018, 03:36:44 PM »
I was looking at Zoom Groom, but then I found these, and it seems that they would work well on dogs and cats who dislike being brushed.

Has anyone tried a similar product?

https://www.amazon.com/HandsOn-Gloves-Shedding-Shedding-Livestock/dp/B00R3U4WD6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516483776&sr=8-1&keywords=HandsOn+All-In-One+Bathing+%26+Grooming+Gloves

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Has anyone used these gloves?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 04:57:24 PM »
Years ago.  Cats were afraid of them.  They hated the Zoom Groom too, though I know many people think it's great. To me it seems to pull the fur out by the roots. I mean..it appears to work by the fur wrapping itself around the little rubber spikes.

I use regular combs..those little black ones that used to get handed out on picture day at school.  And Jennie loves my boar's hair bristle brush that I bought when I was growing my hair out.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 03:37:51 AM »
Years ago.  Cats were afraid of them.  They hated the Zoom Groom too, though I know many people think it's great. To me it seems to pull the fur out by the roots. I mean..it appears to work by the fur wrapping itself around the little rubber spikes.

I use regular combs..those little black ones that used to get handed out on picture day at school.  And Jennie loves my boar's hair bristle brush that I bought when I was growing my hair out.

I never thought of using a "people brush" on the cats.  I will try that.  I have a boar bristle brush that I never use, so I will dig it out and see how they like it.  I probably should have asked about the gloves in the dog grooming section, as even if the cats dislike them, it would be worth it if they can be used on Bandit, who loves to be stroked, and even behaves well when I bathe him, but tries to bite any grooming tool I use on him.  Because he was two when I got him, I don't know the cause, but he is the only dog I've ever had that a groomer had to muzzle, because he kept trying to grab the clippers when I took him in for a sanitary trim.

Good to know about the Zoom Groom.  I'll cross that off my wish list.  I have enough de-shedding tools.  What I need is something that I can use on the hindquarters and bellies of the cats who don't like their slicker brush.  I will try a comb, but I'm not sure they would like that any better.  I'm just glad that they are not so prone to matting anymore.  It was a terrible problem with Jenny. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 03:49:38 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »
I can tell you why they don't like slicker brushes. Try brushing your own hair with one, and make sure you pretend that your hair is as short as theirs near your scalp.

Those gloves with dogs that have the kind of coats poms do? No.

You need a rotating pin undercoat rake:  https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Double-Undercoat-Rake-Rotating/dp/B0002DIRYG
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 10:23:31 AM »
I can tell you why they don't like slicker brushes. Try brushing your own hair with one, and make sure you pretend that your hair is as short as theirs near your scalp.

Those gloves with dogs that have the kind of coats poms do? No.

You need a rotating pin undercoat rake:  https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Double-Undercoat-Rake-Rotating/dp/B0002DIRYG

I have an undercoat rake, but it doesn't have rotating pins.  Maybe that's the secret.

I haven't completely brushed out my own hair with this brush, but I did test the pins on my bare inner arm - a pretty tender spot - and on my scalp before buying it, and picked this one specifically because it didn't hurt at all (most of the others did).  The pins are very fine, very flexible, and not scratchy.  My short-haired cats don't object to it at all, and the long-hairs don't mind, either, as long as I only brush their backs.  They all like to have their backs brushed - it doesn't matter with what.  The place I am having trouble is with the "bloomers" on their back legs, and of course that's the place that is likeliest to tangle if not groomed.  I haven't found any grooming tool yet that they like for their hindquarters.

Shoot.  I was sooo hoping the gloves would be a good idea.  Are there any grooming gloves that do work?   

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 10:30:16 AM »
There are grooming gloves that have wires instead of rubber nubs, but I've never used them.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 10:35:14 AM »
As far as combs, I'd get these:

https://www.amazon.com/Detangling-Pet-Stainless-Removing-Tangles/dp/B077T1LQCV/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UTDHP2/ref=asc_df_B004UTDHP25344107/

They both have their uses. One to first get through it with the large then smaller teeth. Then the other one to get in even better.

Just like humans with tangle-y hair, it's easier if you start large then move to smaller a little at a time. Plastic combs just build up static, and I was told to not use them since some dogs find it extremely uncomfortable.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 10:41:01 AM »
As far as combs, I'd get these:

https://www.amazon.com/Detangling-Pet-Stainless-Removing-Tangles/dp/B077T1LQCV/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UTDHP2/ref=asc_df_B004UTDHP25344107/

They both have their uses. One to first get through it with the large then smaller teeth. Then the other one to get in even better.

Just like humans with tangle-y hair, it's easier if you start large then move to smaller a little at a time. Plastic combs just build up static, and I was told to not use them since some dogs find it extremely uncomfortable.

I will try these.  I feel very foolish now, because I have to admit that I have never used a comb on any of my cats, only brushes, coat rakes, and occasionally, a Furminator. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 11:29:36 AM »
I don't like steel combs for cats.  To me that sounds so uncomfortable and I can't see how they can be effective at all. We use these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Hair-Care-4-Pack-Comb-Breakable/dp/B00E669N0M/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1516555536&sr=8-4&keywords=black+comb

They remove loose fur quite well. Will comb gently through a snarl, (Ootay has long very curly fur), smooth out a thickened spot threatening to become a mat. Can even be used to pick apart a mat, though I prefer finger pulling method.  Easy to clean.

And, judging by my cats', past and present, reactions over all these years, they feel wonderful on the skin.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 11:49:04 AM »
I don't like steel combs for cats.  To me that sounds so uncomfortable and I can't see how they can be effective at all. We use these:

Steel really isn't uncomfortable (a comb is a comb is a comb) unless you let it get so matted that nothing is going to take it out. What's uncomfortable, with ANY grooming tool, is when you hit their skin. I make sure I don't hit skin. It's all in knowing how to use each tool.

As I said, you have to start with large teeth and go down to small. That's the easiest way to remove any loose hair or snarls.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 01:02:44 PM »
Steel really isn't uncomfortable (a comb is a comb is a comb) unless you let it get so matted that nothing is going to take it out. What's uncomfortable, with ANY grooming tool, is when you hit their skin. I make sure I don't hit skin. It's all in knowing how to use each tool.

As I said, you have to start with large teeth and go down to small. That's the easiest way to remove any loose hair or snarls.

Not hit the skin with the steel comb you mean?  If that much care to avoid contact with skin is needed, that would be another reason I wouldn't want to use one. 

I think grooming dogs must be different from grooming cats then. Combing a cat, the point is to remove the loose fur on the undercoat. And they clearly love the feel of the comb on their skin. :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 01:22:53 PM »
I won't let anything except soft brush-bristles touch their skin to distribute oils and loosen dust/dander for the vacuum. The Ionic brush has round balls on the ends of the bristles so that it doesn't hurt them, or I wouldn't use it.

I make sure I'm holding other combs and brushes at such an angle that it only goes through hair and the tips don't touch skin.

I don't know about cats, but I DO know that dogs that have been hurt by grooming tools can become afraid of being groomed and can bite a plug out of a person.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 02:19:39 PM »
I can imagine they would. So it seems my dislike of metal grooming tools has a basis, anyway. For my cats there wouldn't be any point in a grooming that didn't involve reaching the skin, so we'll stick to the soft plastic combs. The teeth are quite dull. :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 02:27:42 PM »
ISo it seems my dislike of metal grooming tools has a basis, anyway. For my cats there wouldn't be any point in a grooming that didn't involve reaching the skin, so we'll stick to the soft plastic combs.

Those plastic combs won't reach through some dog's coats without breaking. They just won't. It becomes a cost factor on top of the static issue.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 04:30:42 PM »
Those plastic combs won't reach through some dog's coats without breaking. They just won't. It becomes a cost factor on top of the static issue.

I understand Dee.  But you and I are coming from different perspectives here.  I am talking about cats' coats. You-dogs with heavy, coarse or curly coats.

Tags: