Author Topic: If I ever had the time  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
If I ever had the time
« on: April 11, 2013, 03:34:02 PM »
The "bangs head" thread reminded me of something I thought about a couple of years ago, when I first read Dr. H's book.  She had mentioned that we, the pet owners, are unknowingly participating in massive, unofficial "clinical trials" that had disastrous results.  And she's right.  I remember thinking, wouldn't it be great if vet offices had databases with the pet's information and diet, and if that could be compiled in one major database (even if 1 clinic/practice per state participated, that would be a lot of information), so that raw data could be pulled to see how health issues were connected (or not) to diet.

I mentioned it to Lisa at IBD Kitties and she told me that information is covered by HIPAA (Health Information Portability and Accountability Act) because of the owners, so there went that idea.  But now and then, I think it would be nice to do an "informal" database with that information, and collect that info over years.  If I had the time, I'd love to do that.  Maybe someday . . .

Of course, all of that information would be considered "anecdotal" ::) since it's not an "official" clinical trial.  But if you have enough data, over a long enough period of time, SOMEONE would have to take notice.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: If I ever had the time
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 03:48:54 PM »

I mentioned it to Lisa at IBD Kitties and she told me that information is covered by HIPAA (Health Information Portability and Accountability Act) because of the owners, so there went that idea. 

You know, the great thing about the HIPAA act...you can give permission for any part (or none) of your information to be shared. All the vets would have to do is say "We're doing this. Are you willing to have your pet be a part of it? If so, please sign here_________."

I KNOW this can be done b/c parts of my health info and blood are shared around different Vanderbilt departments and labs w/o them ever having access to my name or other personal info--and I signed for it. I made sure it was very clear before I signed it. I was told that the way it's done is, "Patient X has this. We have blood, etc. if you're interested."

The same thing could be done with pets. All they'd have to do is set up the computer programming properly for it. Would probably mean 5 minutes extra training for all of them to click the right icons on the program though, and that's where they'd really balk. After all, they balk at doing any extra research on foods.  :-\

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: If I ever had the time
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 03:55:36 PM »
You know, the great thing about the HIPAA act...you can give permission for any part (or none) of your information to be shared. All the vets would have to do is say "We're doing this. Are you willing to have your pet be a part of it? If so, please sign here_________."

I totally forgot about that!   Doh1

I suspect where they'd really balk is the extra research in general.  After all, sarcasmalert "there's nothing wrong with commercial foods. And nutrition and these problems we see aren't related . . ." bangshead
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: