Author Topic: First time cat owner need help with kitten  (Read 23586 times)

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
Re: First time cat owner need help with kitten
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2016, 01:45:11 PM »
Both kittens are going today I'm about to take themin about 20 mins the carrier is mine and a box will be fine for now.Any tips to potty train this new kitten ales just went to the box but it's this kittens first time seeing one so I had a nice little surprise under my bed this morning

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2016, 02:53:12 PM »
Any tips to potty train this new kitten ales just went to the box but it's this kittens first time seeing one so I had a nice little surprise under my bed this morning

Watch Jackson Galaxy's litter videos

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jackson+galaxy+litter+box
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »
Was unable to return Lea today had a surprise doctors appointment I returned the other cat back to its family I think it's best to leave it there it's already use to being outside not indoors.for some of you that want me to return her right away chill 1 more day won't do Lea harm.

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2016, 06:13:43 PM »
 I just going to return lea tomorrow Lea.God I'm  starting to see why people don't like cats over dogs but I'm going to give em a shot and get a nice kitten from the shelter mostly because I've spent too much money on litter food and toys I cant back down now.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2016, 06:23:15 PM »
You can donate the food and litter to the shelter when you bring Lea back.  They will be very glad to have it. :)

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2016, 07:25:38 PM »
Hell no that cost money besides I'm going to take a break for a few weeks and see if I still want a cat no more kittens tho if I get a cat I'm getting a grow cat that's been domesticated no more ferals I don't have the experience to take care of em.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2016, 07:33:57 PM »
I'm confused. 
Lea is going back to shelter tomorrow?
New other cat is going back home?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2016, 08:39:12 PM »
The new cat is already back with its family I took it back around 5 lea going to the shelter to get the care she needs.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2016, 09:21:42 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. 

Good call on giving back the neighbor's cat.  If money is already tight for you, a vet visit for the sickness going on with the cat, vaccinations, spay/neuter, etc. ... costs would add up fast. 

Maybe you could volunteer at the shelter that Lea came from.  Cat experience would be good for you AND the cats.  :)

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2016, 05:29:55 AM »
I can't volunteer at the shelter I get too much hw from my AP classes so I'm always busy and the shelter is a good hour from me wouldn't work out I'm going to give Lea back and take a break with cats money's not that tight I just don't want my house full of fleas for the time being so I returned the other cat back to my neighbor.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2016, 03:29:40 PM »
I look forward to hearing how Lea's return went.  I hope you decided to go ahead and donate the supplies too. :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2016, 10:59:53 AM »
Any updates?

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2016, 08:56:41 PM »
Hey guys it's been a while.When I was in school my parents took lea back they put her in a special cage after we told them she was a special needs kitten.i hope it worked out with that kitten.Also I've been learning more about cats and going to my neighbors house when I have a break to play with his cats.He informed me that one of his cats is pregnant and told me I could get a kitten.Only problem is I don't know when I can take the kitten from its mother 4-5 weeks good enough?i know that's when they transition to dry or wet food.Also I know normal kittens should stay with there moms until at least 8 weeks but I also know that to socialize a wild feral kitten it must be at 4-5 weeks.Keep in mind my neighbors cats are all outdoor and none have vaccines so I just want to separate the kitten as fast as possible to prevent  diseases or sickness.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:02:47 PM by LeFlame »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2016, 04:58:12 AM »
Kittens need to stay with their mother and litter mates until at least 10 weeks, TEN WEEKS, and twelve weeks is better. They learn important socializing behaviors in those extra four weeks.  Bite inhibition for example.

In your situation you should take two kittens so they have each other for company. At 10 weeks. No sooner.

Your neighbor should take that pregnant cat to the vet and have her spayed.  He is extremely irresponsible for not doing it already.  This world already has too many unwanted kittens and cats because of people like him. Sick and dying and suffering.

The kittens from that poor cat could already be in poor health, inbred, who knows what the mother has been fed, with no vaccines, no vet care, you are setting yourself up for disaster.

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2016, 05:55:41 AM »
My neighbor is not going to take his cats to the vet.In my culture animals are left to do there own thing and aren't taken care of it's always made me angry that's why I want to be different with my animals and take care of them.Also if it's ten weeks that's fine I can just go over and play with the kittens in the time being again can't get two kittens so I'll just wait it out.Besides if the kittens are sick the vet should be able to fix them up with some medication.

Tags: Kitten Help