Author Topic: Physical withrawal from psyllium, is it possible?  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Physical withrawal from psyllium, is it possible?
« on: October 25, 2016, 04:36:52 PM »
Will a cat have physical withdrawal from psyllium? I stopped the Vet's-Best for Mazy cat 6 days ago. The new formula was making her puke. I did a slow transition from old to new but she's been fully on the new now for over a month. She's had half a tablet twice a day (minimum) for a year.

When I stopped the V-B I replaced it with tiny amounts of marshmallow root, and the new bottle of SEB came yesterday so I started her back on that last night, with only 1/8 tsp mixed into some food with water added. She ran around with Queen Eva for a while after the meal, quite lively, but then had an iffy appetite for supper, only ate half her supper and no bedtime meal and sat around as if her tummy hurt.

This morning she seemed normal, but didn't want her final breakfast serving and didn't move around much.

Didn't want lunch, but I could tell she had to poop (up until now poos have been normal since the stop of the V-B). I took her down to the litter boxes and she pooped right away, the first bits were normal and the last part to come out was soft and orange-ish.

Now I'm home from work and she's had two small (.25 oz each) of Rad Cat with s.boulardii in both. She usually gets about 1/2 capsule of S.boulardii a day, split between 2 meals today she will end up with a full capsule by the end.

She's still sitting around like she has a tummy ache or cramp, and reluctant to move much.

I don't think it's her arthritis, though it has gotten suddenly colder. I think she has a cramp in her tummy or abdomen.

Could all this be from psyllium withdrawal? I am very reluctant to give her any vets-best at this point. It's been six days, and that new formula just makes her puke. The Konsyl (pure psyllium) will be here in a couple more days.

I just feel so bad for her.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Physical withrawal from psyllium, is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 06:18:03 PM »
Psyllium causes definite changes in bowel movements. Ever read one of those long-written, quack articles "this happened to me with this cleanse!" with photos? It will show you what consistent doses of psyllium like Metamucil will do. I know because drank the heck out of it after 2 babies. It soaks up liquid, and then forms a gel of sorts that forms the feces. Not getting the psyllium is causing her to not have formed BMs.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 06:36:52 PM »
Thanks Dee.  The poop is still formed.  The last section that came out was a little soft and off color (lighter) is all. But I think you are right that it does help her body with it's own peculiar set of problems.  The Konsyl will be here probably by Thursday and I can get her back on it.

My biggest worry was that she was having some kind of dangerous reaction, but it doesn't sound like you think that's the issue?  Just her body adjusting to not having it is causing her some discomfort.

She's eating small amounts, okay, but still not wanting to move.  She obviously feels poorly and is expecting the usual coddling she gets when she is sick.  And she is getting that coddling too. Doesn't want to come to her regular Meal Spot?  I am bringing meals to her and feeding her off my finger.

She's entitled to anything she wants.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 08:16:27 PM »
My gut, no pun intended, tells me she's constipated and yes, that can be a result of lack of fiber, in this case, psyllium.  Fiber can help "move things along," so to speak, and it sounds to me like without the VB, things are moving more slowly and it's causing discomfort.  The softer stool that you saw recently would also be an indication that she's not getting enough fiber.

You're doing everything you can.  If you have the aloe juice, you could add a little to one of her meals to see if that will help (assuming she tolerates it--I can't remember if you've given it to her before).

Sending lots of purrs to you and Mazy Cat.  CatPurr grouphug GoodVibes
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 08:28:36 PM »

My biggest worry was that she was having some kind of dangerous reaction, but it doesn't sound like you think that's the issue?  Just her body adjusting to not having it is causing her some discomfort.

Right. That's what I think. Her body isn't getting the psyllium anymore to gel it all together. Remember, most gels also "glide" easily. I'm fairly sure that she'll be better once you have all 3 ingredients to make your own. Plus, remember. We're not exactly sure what all that "purified" cellulose does to them. Maybe her body is also trying to cleanse itself after not having it anymore.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 08:56:39 PM »
Thank you so much both of you.  Pookie the George's Aloe will be coming with the konsyl brand psyllium.

I probably should have kept this discussion in my other thread about Mazy cat, but it did seem like possibly a separate issue.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 04:47:20 AM »
Mazy cat had a small meal at bed time last night and got up and showed interest in the usual pre-bed Games, though she didn't really play, just showed interest.

This morning she is up and eating her breakfast and teasing Jennie like nothing was ever wrong.

I do realize though that there wil be more adjustments whe I start the toehr things.  However I am going to take the discussion back to the other thread for that, I want to keep a record all in one place.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 05:32:48 AM »
She's doing better.  No more of that uncomfortable looking crouching thank goodness. This morning she had a very tiny poop. It's incredible how much the psyllium really does bulk up the stool.  Of course I just remembered she's getting getting some, because it's in the Rad Cat.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 02:31:52 PM »
I'm a bit late, but.... I would think ANY change (especially with Mazy) is going to bother a cat to some extent. 
Glad you ditched the VetsBest though! 

You probably already know this, but... it isn't uncommon for a constipated cat to also vomit. 

Anyway, hope everything continues to improve with Mazy!
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 09:10:28 PM »
She's doing better.  No more of that uncomfortable looking crouching thank goodness. This morning she had a very tiny poop. It's incredible how much the psyllium really does bulk up the stool.  Of course I just remembered she's getting getting some, because it's in the Rad Cat.

I'm so glad she's doing better!   :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: