Author Topic: Oh! What a HIKE!  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Oh! What a HIKE!
« on: October 07, 2018, 08:14:42 AM »
My sister and I did my favorite hike yesterday.  It's rated very difficult, and we do a round trip, parking at the lot where we end up, and walking down the road about 0.7 miles to the other trail-head. I haven't done it in 3 years, the last time was with my friend B. The hike itself is 8.8 miles long (including the road bit between the parking lots) with a total elevation of 4,040 feet at the top. Starts at about 1900 feet so it's very steep.

It's rated on various sites as "very difficult" "experienced hikers only" and meant to take 6 hours.  My sister and I did it in 4 1/2 including stops.  Usually it takes us 5-5 1/2 so we must be in really good shape! I didn't even realize we were moving that fast!  The trails were fairy heavy populated which is never fun, but we blazed past all of the pokey groups haha.

The coolest part was the cloud cover.  When we started out the tops of the mountains, and even some whole mountains were not visible from the road, they were completely covered in cloud.  As we gained elevation we found ourselves entering that cloud.  We stopped at one overlook to watch it come in.....

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Oh! What a HIKE!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 08:16:19 AM »
Once that came into the interior we were hiking in this for awhile

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 08:18:57 AM »
At the next overlook, usually there are incredible views.  By this time we were above that cloud, but because of it there were no views!  This first picture is what it looked like yesterday.  The second two pictures are what we usually see from that spot, taken 3 years ago.

I had tried to get both angles yesterday for the comparison, but the side that shows the two humps was being blocked by other people and they refused to budge. Very rude trail behavior in fact.

EDIT..on second thought just because I am annoyed all over again about it, here's their stupid heads lol

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 08:27:50 AM »
When we got to the top..as expected there was quite a crowd.  We found a rock on the edge to sit in relative peace and quiet to eat our lunch and watch the fog roll in.  It was coming in big puffs and lying close to the ground.  When a gust of wind came the cloud would roll and twist with the wind.  It was really really cool but I couldn't get video of it because there were just too many people around and I didn't want them in my camera shots.

On the way down (it's basically STRAIGHT down on this side) the front side we were faced with that wind, it was steady and brisk and there was no fog on that side, even the sun was peeking through by the time we were halfway down. It was beautiful with little bursts of color popping up as we rushed along.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 08:31:36 AM »
A couple of road shots

1st-on the way in

2nd on the way out

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 09:56:33 AM »
I put this in the wrong place.  Lola can you please move it to General

THANK YOU!!!!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 10:54:31 AM »
Beautiful pictures!  Thanks for sharing.  Happy you had a wonderful time.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 12:56:12 PM »
This is simply awesome!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 02:07:41 PM »
Thanks you guys! I live for days like that. When ever I injure my foot I live in dread that it won't heal this time and I'll never be able to do that hike again.

To prevent stiffening up I've kept myself moving today with household chores. Going for a walk is helpful too, but I wanted the cats to have access to the porch all day so I've chosen to keep moving inside. 

If I'm going to be really sore it will hit tomorrow but I started to feel some stiffness around 2:30 today so I am still moving. I've defrosted both freezers, cut up cat meat, washed all the windows, vacuumed the house, swept down the stairs, cleaned the bathroom (and changed the flapper). I am running out of steam now, so if I was going to walk it would be now.

However the girls are still out on the porch and I have a chicken roasting in the oven so here I stay. I'll get out the mat and stretch a little, too. That will help.

You know it's amazing how much my stair running at work has helped me.  I wasn't sure how fit it was keeping me, but I had no trouble at all with that hike, neither wind or endurance.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 07:46:27 AM »
I can't believe it! I am not sore at all today! Aside from what I mentioned above, I did feel some stiffness overnight when I got up in the night.  But this morning..nothing.  Well..I can feel it a little in the down-hill muscles when I go down the stairs. But I really expected to be in agony today!

I am exhausted though.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 07:23:02 AM »
Be happy about not being in pain. Look forward to the next hike.

Tags: