Author Topic: Lucy  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Lucy
« on: December 26, 2015, 08:27:44 PM »
Lucy isn't interested in eating. 

She ate her breakfast today, but I had to dust it with Vets Best to get her to do so.  Breakfast was venison.  It was fed for the first time yesterday.  She brought most (if not all) of it back up.  She also continued to spit up a bit of a white foamy substance... a few times.

She ate half her lunch of turkey (with Vets Best).  She threw it back up soon after.  She refused any offer of more food... other flavors or brands.

I isolated her at 2 pm.  I offered her some raw chicken.  No interest...with or without Vets Best.  Her and I took a nap together.  I could hear her purring. 

At 6 pm, I offered her about a tablespoon of a canned food... dusted with Vets Best.  She ate it.  I am now waiting to see if it stays down. 

Dinner is served at 8 pm.  At that time, I plan to give her more of the canned. 

What I know...

The last few days, she has eaten her meals fairly slowly.  I didn't think much about it because it isn't that uncommon for her to eat leisurely...compared to the others.  And some of the meals were Venison...a new protein. 

Mouse (also a new protein) was within the last week.

I cleaned up a few dried white spots yesterday.  BUT I don't know when they actually happened.  With me trying to get as much rest as possible, I skipped my daily mopping for several days.  (Hubby half-azz mops.   ;D)

With me having a cold and/flu for so long, I am wondering if there is any way I could have passed on germs to Lucy.  She has spent a lot of time with me lately.  Sleeping with me especially.

Constipation could be a possibility.  From what I have been reading... vomiting and constipation isn't all that uncommon.  Although I'm not so sure of the source(s) of the info. 

Possible causes:
New proteins (mouse and/or venison) didn't agree with her.
Constipated.
She caught my germs.

I can't remove myself from the home, but I can not feed anymore venison or mouse.
Canned food should take care of any possible constipation.
I won't go into full panic as long as I can get her to eat... and keep it down.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Lucy
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 08:59:14 PM »
I'd hazard the guess that there were too many changes too quickly. And the mouse is probably high in bone which would be a cause for constipation.

I hope she keeps the canned down and has a nice poop.  But if she does puke again, withhold all food for at least 12 hours.  This will break the cycle and help her body expel whatever's bothering her (fur, hard stool, whatever)

The vets-best is good for her either way (contains some enzymes) so keep using it!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 01:55:04 AM »
Thanks for the Vets Best tip, MC.
She ate a little bit more at 7 and at 8. 
So far, everything has stayed down. 
I have to go to work, but I am leaving a little canned food out for her.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 12:31:51 PM »
She is eating slowly, but surely.  Not her usual amount, but a decent amount.  Still no poop.  I bought her Friskies.  If she doesn't poop today, I'm taking her to the vet.  She has got to be in pain...

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 04:32:48 PM »
I'm leaning towards the issue being the new proteins, particularly the venison.  You're smart to withhold them for a while.

She is eating slowly, but surely.  Not her usual amount, but a decent amount.  Still no poop.  I bought her Friskies.  If she doesn't poop today, I'm taking her to the vet.  She has got to be in pain...

Remember, too, that if she hasn't been eating much and she brought up what she did eat, there's not much in her to move along and be pooped out.  If you manage to get a lot more food in her and she still doesn't poop (and it may take a day for that to happen), then I would really be concerned.  But it doesn't hurt to have her checked by the vet, either.  The fact that she wants to eat, and is actually eating, is a good sign, though.

Crossing paws that Lucy is back to her usual self soon, and sending purrs to both of you!   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 06:57:10 PM »
I'm leaning towards the issue being the new proteins, particularly the venison.  You're smart to withhold them for a while.

Remember, too, that if she hasn't been eating much and she brought up what she did eat, there's not much in her to move along and be pooped out.  If you manage to get a lot more food in her and she still doesn't poop (and it may take a day for that to happen), then I would really be concerned.  But it doesn't hurt to have her checked by the vet, either.  The fact that she wants to eat, and is actually eating, is a good sign, though.

Crossing paws that Lucy is back to her usual self soon, and sending purrs to both of you!   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 10:42:40 AM »
If she didn't poop last night, she was going to the vet this am.  She pooped.  :)
With Lucky, things got out of control SO FAST (to the point of no return)... I tend to worry quickly. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 10:45:37 AM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
With her eating and no longer barfing... I got a little less worried.  BUT...with all she ate yesterday...several small amounts as long as she was willing to eat... she went 12 hours without urinating.  When she did go tinkle, it was a huge ball.  Anyone know how often is normal?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 02:33:13 PM »
With her eating and no longer barfing... I got a little less worried.  BUT...with all she ate yesterday...several small amounts as long as she was willing to eat... she went 12 hours without urinating.  When she did go tinkle, it was a huge ball.  Anyone know how often is normal?

I think Pookie peed twice in a 24 hour period, if I remember correctly.

I'm so glad she's eating, pooping, peeing and no longer bringing her food up for another look!  multistars

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 03:56:01 PM »
Congratulations on the POOP!!!!

Re the long no pee stretch, my thought is, she didn't feel good so wasn't bothering to pee.  Mazy cat (drives me crazy) holds her pee sometimes.

My girls all pee 3 times a day on average. Queen Eva must have a tiny bladder because her pees are small and I sometimes find four of hers in a 24 hour period.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 02:00:21 PM »
The one drawback of having 6.... never know for sure who is "depositing" what and how often in the litter boxes.  :( 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 09:08:38 AM »
Pull them apart, check the fur color. :)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 01:21:17 PM »
How's Lucy doing?  Is she back to her normal?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 01:45:08 PM »
Pull them apart, check the fur color. :)

I actually did that once.  Problem is we have two red cats and two ... whatever Roxy and Goose are. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 01:48:06 PM »
How's Lucy doing?  Is she back to her normal?

Yes, she is back to normal.  Thanks for asking.  I won't be adding any new proteins again for a while.

Tags: