Author Topic: I'd probably take this with a grain of salt. . .  (Read 1167 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
I'd probably take this with a grain of salt. . .
« on: January 17, 2016, 12:10:24 AM »
Since it comes from a western-medicine site, I'd do a lot of other research before taking this as gospel.

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/lysine-for-fhv-researchers-say-dont-bother/

Lysine for FHV? Researchers Say Don’t Bother

Originally published in the January 2016 issue of Veterinary Practice News.

Two virologists are urging veterinarians to immediately stop lysine supplementation in cats suffering from feline herpesvirus-1 because they say the therapy is ineffective.

Their conclusion, published Nov. 16 in the online journal BMC Veterinary Research, drew a measured response from two experts in the field who said anecdotal reports of successful lysine use leave open the possibility that the therapy does work.

Husband-and-wife virologists Sebastiaan Bol, MS, Ph.D., and Evelien M. Bunnik, MS, Ph.D., reached the conclusion after conducting a systematic review—essentially a study of previous lysine studies. . .continued.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: I'd probably take this with a grain of salt. . .
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 06:43:50 AM »
L-lysine supplementation saved Tolly angel5's eyes.

Perhaps what is happening is the viral strains are becoming resistant to it.  I know lactoferrin is usually the recommended treatment now.

I haven't read the article yet, maybe later. But L-lysine saved Tolly's eyes.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 06:37:15 PM »
"The plural of anecdote is data."  -- Raymond Wolfinger

That's just my opinion. 
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 03:02:34 AM »
Ok call me crazy but I saw this article I while ago, so...I stopped giving the L-lysine to Shadow, her eyes seem better than what they were.:O  She has been on L-lysine for years, and I wish I could get the Lactoferrin here but I cannot, it is american product apparently :(
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Tags: