Author Topic: Air Fryers?  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Air Fryers?
« on: June 09, 2018, 02:59:33 PM »
Anyone have one or used one?  Or... ate food cooked in one, while at someone else's home?   Silly7
They SOUND like a good idea.  There are also a gaziilion to choose from and huge price differences.

I'm trying to come up an idea for a birthday gift for hubby.  He LOVES fries fried in the deep fryer.  I would like to get away from that.  Kill two birds with one stone, kind of a thing.  :)

(My apologies to the birds.)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:02:20 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Air Fryers?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 05:48:32 PM »
I've got one. Never used it. My aunt got it and decided she hated the trouble she had to go through to clean it. She gave it to my mom. My mom never tried it, and shoved it off on me.

I've never even looked at the booklet that came with it, and no one I've asked to take it wants it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 08:19:30 AM »
We have a Cuisinart combo air fryer/convection oven/toaster/warmer and it is in use daily. Home made fries work well. Soak cut potatoes in cold water for 30 minutes, dry, add spice, spray with a tiny bit of oil. Eat immediately. Frozen fries work like a charm. Bacon, wings, burgers, brats, asparagus - perfect. I use it to reheat from waffles to chicken. Frozen prefab foods such as fish or chicken do really well. Tortillia chips - sprinkle spice and a drop or two of oil on two tortillias, cut into wedges. Two minutes and you are set to add everything you like on nachos. Cleanup is easy. I am lazy and cover the pan under the fryer basket in foil. Found Reynolds aluminum foil sheets at the Dollar Tree and bought a case.

It is basically a small high powered convection oven. SO wants to get a second one to leave on the patio. Yesterday's happy hour nachos, pizza (we were too tired for his b-day meal wish) and mini pecan pies came out of The Box. Bacon for this morning's gritts is done and in the fridge. One minute to recrisp it while the grits is sitting.

Our additions are two oil misters - olive and vegetable but they are in use throughout the kitchen. Made great Christmas presents and Amazon shipped a lot for me:)

One word of caution. Do not leave it alone. Do not rely on a timer. Stand guard.

I convinced several friends to either get and use one or use one which was sitting around. Get one at a store with painless return policy such as Kohl's. Check for easy handling and dishwasher safe parts. Please buy a size larger then you think you need. Foods needs space and air has to circulate. No cramming.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 08:20:17 AM »
I've got one. Never used it. My aunt got it and decided she hated the trouble she had to go through to clean it. She gave it to my mom. My mom never tried it, and shoved it off on me.

I've never even looked at the booklet that came with it, and no one I've asked to take it wants it.

I will gladly take it.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 08:47:35 AM »
Wow.   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 09:35:54 AM »
I will gladly take it.

I'm sorry. I'd send it off to someone, but I think my granddaughter might want it for college when she has to go to East TN. She already took all my old dishes and silverware that I recently got rid of after twelve years. I thought this thing might work well with the small electric pot I've got saved for her from my college years. Found it in the back of my cabinets when we moved, and it still works after 40 years. Can't say that about a lot of things you buy these days.

You just never know what kind of situation you'll end up in when you're going away to college, and if we can have her set up without spending money then, it will make things a lot easier to pay for considering we don't know yet if she'll have scholarships or not.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 11:38:39 AM »
Thanks for all the info ThreeStep!
I have always kinda wanted a convection over.  It has never been a really strong want, so I never bought one.  What you mentioned... seems to do it all!  AND it sounds like I could toss our toaster that I hate!

Any chance this is the model that you have?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K0W8LTE/ref=asc_df_B01K0W8LTE5505999/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B01K0W8LTE&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167141308073&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16128688079996465316&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030132&hvtargid=pla-305794304571
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:40:58 AM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 11:46:45 AM »
The one I've got is the one that used to be a TV Infomercial that was on all the time late at night:

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »
Bumping for the model that ThreeStep has.  :)

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 07:01:58 AM »
Thanks for all the info ThreeStep!
I have always kinda wanted a convection over.  It has never been a really strong want, so I never bought one.  What you mentioned... seems to do it all!  AND it sounds like I could toss our toaster that I hate!

Any chance this is the model that you have?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K0W8LTE/ref=asc_df_B01K0W8LTE5505999/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B01K0W8LTE&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167141308073&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16128688079996465316&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030132&hvtargid=pla-305794304571

Yes. Toaster oven seems to be higher than indicated temperature. Do not burn the corn bread.
It was a long and unpleasant day at work yesterday. Hamburgers (beef and pork with all the good stuff in the "dough" - melted onions, cheese, garlic chives). Thick patties with a dent in the middle. Around five minutes. Frozen fries (ashes on my head) three minutes while I set table and dressed lettuce. Two frozen crepes with a bit of powdered sugar two minutes. Clean up - one sheet of aluminum foil. These are my personal experiences only!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 11:16:50 AM »
Thanks!!!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 11:26:40 AM »
Just so you know, Cuisinart appliances are GREAT! I've got a bread maker by them, and it does great with making gluten free bread. A lot of bread makers don't do that. I've had it since December, 2013, and I use it at least once a week.

I've got one of their little Smart Stick hand mixer/blenders too, and it's been working for 5 years now when others I had did well to last a couple of years. I like their knives, stainless AND ceramic, as well.

I've been thinking about getting one of their stand mixers too whenever my KitchenAid one wears out.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 02:02:34 PM »
I bought one.  It should be here before hubby's birthday.  :)
Thank you all!!!

DeeDee... your KitchenAid will never wear out.  lol

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 02:45:20 PM »
I bought one.  It should be here before hubby's birthday.  :)
Thank you all!!!

DeeDee... your KitchenAid will never wear out.  lol

Have him kiss your paws!!!
Please have aluminum foil or the cheap sheets I found on hand and read the instructions before he ignores them.
I made a batch of piecrust (1 stick butter, 1 cream cheese, 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder) Saturday, lined four muffin tins and stuck them in the freezer. Add fillings from berries/sugar/corn starch to nuts/sugar/ honey, apples/crumbs (1 part sugar/butter/2 parts flour).  Desert for a couple of days - watch temperature!!!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 08:56:59 PM »
We started slowly.
Tried it out this am.  Made toast.  lol
Later, hubby got his air fried french fries today with his dinner.  :)

Tags: