Author Topic: What Are You Doing For Thanksgiving?  (Read 2847 times)

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
What Are You Doing For Thanksgiving?
« on: November 19, 2011, 07:50:02 AM »
I am looking forward to a day, where I don't have to go to work, or go do anything, I actually get paid for it, don't get paid for most holidays, and I can sleep in past 6am. Well, until Bump starts pulling my hair, get up and feed us mommy!  We is just gonna hang all day and watch Dallas play!!  :-* cat4 TexasFlag bumpgif

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Re: What Are You Doing For Thanksgiving?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 10:23:11 AM »
Gather in a to small of area with 45-55 cousins/aunts/uncles/second cousins and eat luke-warm food.  Why we can never manage to start eating on time is beyond me.  But we always end up eating to late, and the food is no longer warm. 

Then in the evening I go feed calves (still haven't managed to teach them how to feed themselves) and later feed the farm cats. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 10:41:42 AM »
My sister hosts Thanksgiving.  However it is not just our family, but her in-laws too.  It's very loud and crowded and I no longer look forward to it.  I may stay home this year.  My beautiful red boy has just been diagnosed with cancer and I don't want to leave him so long.  What if he goes into acute respiratory distress when I am away all those hours?  My sister lives 2 hours away.  Four hours of driving plus a few hours of socializing and eating....that is just too long to be away from him. I think I'm going to get a frozen turkey breast, some potatoes to make mashed potatoes, some cranberry sauce, and a frozen mince meat pie and have my own thanksgiving right here.  I'll be watching the Cowboys too. :)

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 04:41:17 PM »
My mother hosts Christmas, so my brother hosts Thanksgiving.  Both live close. My brothers first wife, was real high class, no disrespect intended, knew her since we were kids, and we showed horses on the same circuit.   

She also knows, what a die hard Dallas fan I am, and could never be bothered, to eat, BEFORE, the game started, 4pm, so we ate, in the "formal" dining room, during the game.  Made me turn the TV off, would not even let me listen to it, even tho my brother asked her too. NOPE, this was a high class affair, ya even had to dress up.

So I ate as fast as I could, and went in the kitchen, and watched the game, which royally pissed her off.

Finally I said enough. The Dallas TG game is huge, for me, so I just stayed home.  Its quiet, no stress, I enjoy the day, and, the game, don't call me, don't come over, unless you want to watch the game.

Middle Child, I wouldn't leave my kitty either, if he was sick, and my attitude was, if they can't understand, then the heck with them. Happened to me once, only with a sick horse.

Walked in the barn TG morning, horse down with colic, called the vet, who altho he was 1 1/2 hrs away, always came for me.  Had to walk, walk, walk him, and watch him, and if he got worse, the vet said call him back, then to a Cornell, we will be a going.

That year, we were invited to friends of my brothers, I called the lady and told her, she said don't worry about it, come when you can.

Was in the barn all day with him.  Finally by the end of the day, he did was horsies are supposed to do, when the crisis has passed, and he ate. Got to their house, around 7pm, they had kept a plate for me. They had the game on. I walked in, to Miami attempting a FG, which would have won them the game, they missed the FG, Dallas wins, but wait, Oh heck no, Leon Lett, of Dallas attempts to recover the ball, which is loose in the endzone, which he didn't need to even touch the ball, and he fumbles it. Miami recovers, kick another FG, this one good, Miami wins. And this, in a blizzard, in Dallas.

This game has since been called The Blizzard Bowl, some call it The Leon Lett Bowl.

A horrible ending, to a horrible day.

And guess, who Dallas plays, on TG, yes mam, Miami. We be a lookin for some payback, m-o-l.  >:(

Anybody else got TG horror stories?

:-* Bumpurr1 cat4 TexasFlag bumpgif

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 02:55:56 PM »
Hubby and I are doing the cooking for a few family members. He will start, what can be done, the night before.  I will finish up after I get home from work in the am. 

I may run late, but dinner is never cold or luke warm.  One year, the green leaf salad was warm!  I put warm cut up hard boiled eggs in it.   :-[

SO sorry to hear about your male kitty, MC.  :(  I would also stay home, if one of the furkids wasn't feeling well.

People don't have to dress formal for dinner, but I don't allow any TV watching during dinner ....EVER.   >:D  I'm a believer that dinner time is family time. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 04:31:08 PM »
 pangif nonono throwfit cat2 bewareofmodsgif football1 :-*

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 05:57:32 PM »
At least you, Bump, know to never accept an invite for dinner to my house.    :P

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 07:30:11 PM »
At least not on Thanksgiving.  >:(

:-* cat4 TexasFlag bumpgif :-*

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 02:00:14 PM »
For Thanksgiving, we went to a friend's house.  Their Mom also brought a Friend, who was wheelchair bound, and her son. 
Mom's Friend and son were nice enough folks, but the Friend was a little presumptuous IMO.

I was charged with bringing my gra'ma's cheezy 'tatos dish, which is a recipe that I've never divulged.
Mom's Friend pressed for it, but thankfully our friends backed me up.... "We've been begging her for years!  lol"
I'm thinking to myself, "I've only know this lady for 2 hours, and she wants my gra'ma's recipe?!"  Doh1

Our friends and ourselves are not "churchgoing" folks, and generally we don't do blessings before dinner.  Though for special meals (TG/Xmas) we will take a moment to mention our gratitude.  This we did, and then Mom's Friend went into full bore "blessing" mode.  sleepinggif
Now, since I was actually raised in a household where we gave blessing for every meal, I rolled with it along with everyone else.
BUT I'm thinking to myself, "Errrmmm.... this is MY FRIENDS house, HE is sitting at the head of the table, it should be HIS prerogative to say a blessing if he feels like it." 

We also had kind of a "turkey contest"... we had a deep fried turkey, and a slow roasted turkey.  I preferred the slow roasted bird.    ThxGiv4
We brought Babee along with us, and she had a lot of fun playing with the other 3 dogs in the house, and sucking up to the other humans.   :-*

Rounded the evening off with a game of Train Dominoes.  As they say, all's well that ends well.   ThxGiv6
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 07:46:11 PM »
Did Babee get a little turkey too?
I've been to a few dinners where the non-host "took over" the blessing/grace.  Always found that a little odd. 
I LOVE Dominoes!  We played a few games of Aggravation after dinner.  No one got aggravated though.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:48:13 PM by Lola »

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
Hey Furmonster, did the hosty, leaves the TV on, during dinner??????????   :P :-* Bumpurr1 cat4 christmas4 TexasFlag bumpgif Eat2

Tags: