• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Dave's
« on: November 05, 2013, 01:50:39 PM »
I just picked a flavor.

Turkey And Giblets:

Made in Canada

Water Sufficient For Processing, Turkey, Chicken, Poultry Giblets, Egg Product, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Carrageenan, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Folic Acid, Biotin), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Taurine

http://davespetfood.com/catalog/for-cats/can-for-cats/
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Dave's
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 01:52:45 PM »
At least it doesn't have fish, fruits, and veggies...BUT it does have guar gum and carrageenan.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 01:56:50 PM »
The other line:  95% Premium Chicken And Liver Pate

INGREDIENTS

Made in SD

CHICKEN, CHICKEN LIVER, CHICKEN BROTH, NATURAL FLAVOR, CALCIUM CARBONATE, FLAXSEED, SUN- CURED ALFALFA meal, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CARRAGEENAN, GUAR GUM, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, TAURINE, IRON AMINO ACID COMPLEX, MAGNESIUM AMINO ACID COMPLEX, ZINC AMINO ACID COMPLEX, MANGANESE AMINO ACID COMPLEX, COPPER AMINO ACID COMPLEX, SODIUM SELENITE, CALCIUM IODATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE (source of VITAMIN B1), NIACIN SUPPLEMENT (SOURCE OF VITAMIN B3), VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, CAL- CIUM PANTOTHENATE (SOURCE OF VITAMIN B5), PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (SOURCE OF VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT (SOURCE OF VITAMIN B2), BIOTIN, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN D2 SUPPLEMENT, FOLIC ACID.

Dave’s Simply the Best 95% Chicken and Chicken Liver Pate for Cats is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.

http://davespetfood.com/product/daves-95-premium-meat-cat-food-chicken-chicken-liver-pate/

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 03:57:19 PM »
I don't mind guar gum.  I draw the line at carrageenan.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 03:32:10 PM »
I never heard of this brand, until the other day, so I thought I'd add it to our list of foods. 
If anyone has any experience (or opinions), feel free to share.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 08:27:09 AM »
I tried it once, a while ago, but I don't remember too well how much/little Pookie liked it.  My guess is that Pookie didn't get too excited over it, or I would have added it to the rotation.  I did buy a couple more cans recently, to try again.  We'll see.  One thing I don't like:  it has carageenan.   :(
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 03:29:14 PM »
It looks similar to Wellness.  I wouldn't mind taking it out of the rotation completely. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 05:02:02 PM »
Replaced Wellness (toooooooo unpredictable anymore) with Dave's.  They look to be similar ...ingredients-wise.  Not a first choice, by any means.  It is on the bottom of the rotation cycle. 

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 08:30:19 PM »
This is made in Canada, yet I cant find it here??  :-\
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 11:01:39 AM »
Turkey Formula ingredients label from actual product:  (product label and website info differ)

Turkey, chicken broth, chicken liver, chicken, carrageenan...

Dave's replaced Wellness, in our brand rotation.  Neither brand thrills me.  Both have fruits and/or veggies.  Both have carrageenan.  BUT... just noticed that carrageenan is the FIFTH ingredient, on the list for Dave's. 

Trading one carrageenan food for another is one thing... but 5th on the list.  That's pretty high up on the ingredients list... do you agree? 

Trying to eliminate foods, that contain carrageenan... is no easy task.  *sigh*
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 11:04:49 AM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 04:36:57 PM »
Trading one carrageenan food for another is one thing... but 5th on the list.  That's pretty high up on the ingredients list... do you agree? 

Yes.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 09:05:05 AM »
Ingrid King's Review

Snip..

Allegra and Ruby didn’t just eat the varieties we were sent, they practically inhaled them. I asked for poultry based flavors only, since I don’t feed any other proteins, and the girls tested the Poultry Dinner Platter, the Gobblecious Gourmet Dinner, and the Chicken and Turkey formulas. They also tested the Dave’s 95%™ Chicken and Turkey varieties.

I can’t really tell you whether the girls had a favorite because they cleaned their plates for all of the varieties. My favorites are the 95% meat formulas, because they are higher in protein than the other formulas.

My only issue with the line is that it does contain carrageenan. Carrageenan is a controversial ingredient in pet food. It’s a common food additive in pet food and human food. It is extracted from seaweed, and used as thickener and binder in canned pet food, as well as in many human foods such as ice cream, yogurt, and soy milk. There have been some concerns about carrageenan possibly being linked to gastro-intestinal inflammation and even cancers in animals. Carrageenan is considered safe by the FDA and by AAFCO, but just because something is approved by a government agency does not necessarily mean it’s safe for you or your cats.

For that reason, much to Allegra and Ruby’s disappointment, I only feed these diets occasionally, but they are a good choice for budget conscious cat guardians who are looking for a quality brand at a low price.
http://consciouscat.net/2014/06/10/review-daves-grain-free-canned-cat-food/#more-24660

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 07:59:58 AM »
Yep.  Still the carrageenan is a no for me. I am going to need something else for Jennie and Queen Eva though.  Pretty soon.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 04:34:53 PM »
It is a no, for me also.  I was trying to be "fair," by giving another point of view. 

Tags: